Corsair Community

p5q pro+twin2x4096-6400c4dhx wont boot

numen

lately been running with different company memories with these specs:

2x1gb 800mhz 5-5-5-12 1.8V with auto specs in bios

today finally received these twin2x4096-6400c4dhx installed memories, started computer, and computer freezes, monitor wont show anything other than black screen.

tried with different slots and single&dual mode. than picked up one "old" memory and one dhx stick than i atleast got post screen shown and computer freezed.

first tried with 1104bios(stock bios i think) than upgraded to latest 1613bios, still same problem.

so any suggestions what i should do? would like to do memtest but computer freezes in post screen or wont even show anything else than black screen with these twin2x4096.

oh and forgot to add these are 1.1ver memories.

Download CPU-z from

Download Memtest86+ Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord

Insert a single stick of the twin2x4096-6400c4dhx DRAM in the first slot. Restart.

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

[b]Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 9.5
FSB Frequency = 333
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-800
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  4
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
RAS# PRE Time = 4
RAS# ACT Time = 12
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Disabled
Relax Level = 8
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = 1.22
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Volage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled for memtest, enabled afterwards

Run Memtest for two full passes. If stable, Enter Windows, run CPU-z and post screenshots of the CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

naah still nothing, no picture coming when using those memory sticks(one or dual even in different slots). there's no picture coming with these memorys. so hard reset done and changed bios settings with different memory sticks to those and saved, shutdown, inserted corsairs and powerup, all hdd,coolers,gpu are running but still no picture.

dunno what's wrong

I can't see both sticks being errored, but it does happen. You can try an RMA. Have you tried single sticks in slot 2 and double in slot 2 and 4?

naah still nothing, no picture coming when using those memory sticks(one or dual even in different slots). there's no picture coming with these memorys. so hard reset done and changed bios settings with different memory sticks to those and saved, shutdown, inserted corsairs and powerup, all hdd,coolers,gpu are running but still no picture.

dunno what's wrong

I can't see both sticks being errored, but it does happen. You can try an RMA. Have you tried single sticks in slot 2 and double in slot 2 and 4?

yes both sticks as single in every slot and still no picture, also with dual on yellows or black slots. too bad i dont have another computer to try with. gotta try again tommorow do i get anything shown with 1x these memories and 1x another brand, as earlier today had in A1 another memory and in A2 one corsair, than i got post screen but than freezed.

You may have motherboard memory controller issues with high density DRAM.

so does this mean that corsair's own ram memory configurator ain't reliable?

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=589456

Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your Asus P5Q Pro

Enthusiast TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

Overclocker TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

Extreme TWIN2X4096-9136C5DF

just tested with 2x other company memories in yellow slots and corsair one in b2, it freezed to asus logo screen, no power coming to usb mouse&keyboard and with single or dual corsair it's just black screen, not even showing expressgate or asus logo screen. dunno would it be different situation if i had ps/2 keyboard to smash keys for something. getting change to try these on another machine on weekend(p5qc) and could also grab ps/2 keyboard, if it could make me ahead with this black screen phase.

with 1x these memories and 1x another brand

just tested with 2x other company memories in yellow slots and corsair one in b2
Are you trying to mix and match different DRAM modules in the board? That's not advised. You can always RMA the memory but it seems you have other issues.

erm no, just trying to run 6400c4dhx kit alone mostly but tested with that another can i any better result with automatic settings, atleast it shows post with another brand memory(i know their different specc 5-5-5-15 and 4-4-4-12 + different volts etc), but not with these corsairs. gotta wait till weekend and test those memories with another motherboard. is it my motherboard "broken" or are both memories just acting silly with motherboard.

asus P5QC said same thing with both memories(corsair memory search tool didn't have this memory). still got 2 motherboards to go with, one p35 msi and gigabyte will test those later. starting to wonder how much there are the changes to get kit what's both sticks are faulty. both those other motherboards are currently running with ddr2-800 currently i belive em also should run with these.

Test with memtest and give results.

Shut the system down. Insert one stick in slot one (closest to the CPU) and boot to the Memtest CD. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot three. Repeat memtest. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert the second stick in slot one. Retest. Finally, insert a stick in slot one and slot three and repeat Memtest. If Stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

We can't move on until you document the modules, test and results.

Test with memtest and give results.

Shut the system down. Insert one stick in slot one (closest to the CPU) and boot to the Memtest CD. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert it in slot three. Repeat memtest. Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and insert the second stick in slot one. Retest. Finally, insert a stick in slot one and slot three and repeat Memtest. If Stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

We can't move on until you document the modules, test and results.

no offence but how to do it? if i cannot get even to post(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test) screen? as mentioned earlier. already tried with two motherboards asus p5q pro and p5qc. with both done hard reset, edited bios with different memory sticks to these corsair settings DerekT gave me. all i get when computer is powered screen is blank(or black how ever you wish to say it). with p5q pro board tested both memory sticks in all slots and with p5qc in yellow and black ones(if i remember orange was ddr3 slot). the worst thing is also that neither of those computers dont got pc speaker so dunno is it giving any error beeps, tommorow if my mate got time we could take it with his motherboard abit ip35(seems corsair memory search gave same result than to my p5q pro it should work fine with that motherboard).

If you get the same results from all the memory sticks inserted singly, then you have issues that would tell me are external to the DRAM.

In other words, since you can not test singly or document results, there is nothing I can do to help you. You can RMA the DRAM if you wish but it certainly seems that your issues are external to the DRAM, but you never know.

ok finally got some results with abit ip35 pro, as mine p5q pro and p5qc didn't have any speakers attached and abit had some error code board(diagnostics display) it said "C1".

POST (hex) - C1

DESCRIPTION - Detect memory-Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC-Auto-detection of L2 cache (socket 7 or below)

SYMPTOM Power on -> Stop at C100->C0->C1

CAUSE - 1. SPD value lost2.graphic card error3.DIMM slot damage4. Over clocking issue

ACTION - 1. Please update flash BIOS first2. Please change graphic card3. Change slot first or send to RMA at last4. Clear CMOS and load BIOS default

all boards had same result with blank screen. all boards were also running latest bios and with auto settings(later tested putting with memory values were mentioned earlier in this post) and all boards are running fine with memories they had before(2x1gb cl5 800mhz).

• 1 month later...

Hi DerekT,

I have the same ASUS P5Q Pro MOBO with a pair of CM2X2048-6400C4.

Only my proc. is different, it's an Intel E7400.

I have a similar problem, no POST, black screen except my computer starts with one of the RAM modules in. (Tested with both in A1 slot, OK.)

I don't overclock, I just need a reliable system for a music DAW.

I only bought these modules because both Corsair and Asus recommended them for this board.

So, question: Shall I use the same settings you suggested earlier?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1 year later...

Greetings,

finally gotten more time to test these and also bought pi0050 diagnostic card to show speaker beeps and motherboard post codes.

without memories pi0050 beeps and gives d3 latest completed code is 37.

first code is where it get's stuck and second after |-mark is code finished before stuck

first 6400c4-dhx stick gives following codes

dimm-a1 01 | 42 dimm-a2 01 | 42

dimm-b1 E1 | A1 dimm-b2 E1 | A1

second stick

dimm-a1 d5 | d4 dimm-a2 d5 | 42

dimm-b1 d4 | 55 dimm-b2 d4 | 55

dualchannel with first-second sticks

dimm-a1 dimm-b1 (yellow slots) 01 | 42

dimm-a2 dimm-b2 (black slots) 01 | 42

dualchannel with second-first sticks

dimm-a1 dimm-b1 (yellow slots) b7 | 81

dimm-a2 dimm-b2 (black slots) b7 | 81

second stick 2nd try solo after dual-channel test

dimm-a1 e1 | a1 dimm-a2 e1 | a1

dimm-b1 e1 | a1 dimm-b2 e1 | a1

motherboard p5q pro bios version 2102(latest from asus)

ami bios v02.61

info from package:

corsair xms2 kit 4096mb pc2-6400u cl4 ddr2-800

08350524 twin2x4096-6400c4dhx G

info from sticks:

cm2x2048-6400c4dhx xms2-6400 2048mb 800mhz 4-4-4-12 2.10v ver1.1 08350524

post codes according to amibios

completed tasks:

42 ?

55 ?

81 ?

a1 Clean-up work needed before booting to OS.

stuck tasks:

01 Entering sleep state S1 ??

d4 Test base 512KB memory. Adjust policies and cache first 8MB. Set stack.

d5 Bootblock code is copied from ROM to lower system memory and control is given to it. BIOS now executes out of RAM. Copies compressed boot block code to memory in right segments. Copies BIOS from ROM to RAM for faster access. Performs main BIOS checksum and updates recovery status accordingly.

e1 OEM memory detection/configuration error. This range is reserved for chipset vendors & system manufacturers. The error associated with this value may be different from one platform to the next.

b7 ??

HIGH BYTE XY

The upper nibble 'X' indicates the function number that is being executed. 'X' can be from 0 to 7.

0 = func#0, disable all devices on the BUS concerned.

1 = func#1, static devices initialization on the BUS concerned.

2 = func#2, output device initialization on the BUS concerned.

3 = func#3, input device initialization on the BUS concerned.

4 = func#4, IPL device initialization on the BUS concerned.

5 = func#5, general device initialization on the BUS concerned.

6 = func#6, error reporting for the BUS concerned.

7 = func#7, add-on ROM initialization for all BUSes.

8 = func#8, BBS ROM initialization for all BUSes.

The lower nibble 'Y' indicates the BUS on which the different routines are being executed. 'Y' can be from 0 to 5.

0 = Generic DIM (Device Initialization Manager).

1 = On-board System devices.

2 = ISA devices.

3 = EISA devices.

4 = ISA PnP devices.

5 = PCI devices.

and on all tests i had disconnected sata hdd and dvd-drive.

powercolor pcs+4850 connected to pci-e slot

and pi0050 connected to first pci slot.

got also 2different GPU 1600pro, hd2900pro but from getting E1 error code i belive it's not worth of time to test with em or?

also did as derekt said, cleared cmos before testing.

also noticed this from derekt:

It makes no sense that all modules tested singly would produce such results singly. C1 is a Nvidia error code, not Intel.

Return the memory.

C1 error code was from abit motherboard(what had some nvidia GPU)

both sticks been tested in abit ip35 pro, p5q pro and p5q-c.

Archived