Corsair Community

PLEASE HELP! TX650 650 watt problems! Defective?

Dj_BallistiC

Hi, So i recently got into pc gaming (which i hae to say is 100 times better than consoles!) anyways.... I needed a new video card, So I went with an EVGA GEFORCE 9800 GTX+, purchsed 4 gb(2 2 gb sticks) of ram that i did research on to see if my motherboard could handle them, and I read great reviews on the TX650 650 watt power supply, so I got that as well. I have installed parts before and was very careful wih everything. This is a crappy Gateway GM5424 computer that my mother/father in law bought my wife. It needed the upgrade bad!!! So, I had everythign installed, connected the power supply to my APC battery backup surge protector. Turned that on first, it did the usual 2 beeps then my coputer light flashes and i hear the fans go for a brief second. (This did this before with the old power supply as well but this time it was a little bit louder). Then pressed the power button to turn on the computer, and the computer sounded liek a car reving up(it was very loud) Then the battery backup switched on and it started to beep at me like crazy and the power to the comp turned off fast. Is there a defective power supply? It seemed like to much power was running and that caused the surge protector/battery backup to kick on and start working. ANy help would be greatly appreciated! I really hope my parts did not fry out, I will be so upset if this happend.. Alot of money down the drain....

I dunno what I did, I unplugged one of the 4 prong connectors from the motherboard then plugged the other one in that had the red dot on it. Tried it again and the computer turned on and has been workign all day with no problems and been gaming all day as well. This is a great quiet PSU.. Im very glad I chose the right one! Im goign to go register it now and send in for my rebate... Thanks for the help!:D:

I seem to have the same problem ... I have the same vga ( leadtek 9800gtx+ ) and the TX650 power supply. I have a DFI X48 mobo. I tryed switching all the cables around but nothing happens. The system is working fine with my old power supply (470 W). Please help me as I did not find an answer for 2 days now ...

• Corsair Employees
I seem to have the same problem ... I have the same vga ( leadtek 9800gtx+ ) and the TX650 power supply. I have a DFI X48 mobo. I tryed switching all the cables around but nothing happens. The system is working fine with my old power supply (470 W). Please help me as I did not find an answer for 2 days now ...

I would try this basic PSU functionality test and see if the PSU turns on and stays on. If the PSU only shuts itself down when its connected to a motherboard then there is likely some other issue.

I havent had any problems since my last post. System is running great! And that graphics card is awesome with this new system! EVGA 9800GTX+ runs all games on the highest settings and its so smooth.... I love this power supply as well. Its so quiet! My stock one was so loud, This difference is insane!

• Corsair Employees
I havent had any problems since my last post. System is running great! And that graphics card is awesome with this new system! EVGA 9800GTX+ runs all games on the highest settings and its so smooth.... I love this power supply as well. Its so quiet! My stock one was so loud, This difference is insane!

Glad to hear it! We worked very hard on our PSU designs to make them powerful, efficient, and quiet.

service replay was faulty psu ... witch was pretty annoying seeing that it was new and never plugged in ... i forgot to mention that it worked on my old pc with an AGP video card ... only problem was powering my new graphics card

and as no other 650 was on stock i had to settle for the 550 one ... with atm is working very nicely ... meh ... 1 weekend wasted to tests and trying to make it work is enough trouble for me ...

Archived