Corsair Community

In Case...

AusDog

In case my valued friend Derek should breeze through I value your opinion when it comes to OCing and good hardware. I have tried reading up on the topic but it's deep. How do you feel about Digital Hard Drives vs Digital 10k rpm hard drives. They brag about the interface doing 1.5 gigs but my 7200rpm Hitachi is set to 3 gigs. I suspect that is a case of the interface can do it but only if your hard drive can do it. I see a Transcend 150 gig digital 10k rpm for $85 but they very carefully don't publish any seek times etc. I would guess that with this hardware being so far towards the edge, quality is most important. The WD 74gig Raptor for $99 is the way I'm leaning. Wish I could afford the 150 gig version. And just basically how do you OC a hard drive? And the NewEgg $99 job is oem which means I guess you don't get that special "ice pack" bracket?

You don't overclock a hard drive. All drives are digital. They all store the data digitally. Your drive is a digital drive as well.

Your 7,200 Hitachi is pretty fast. Yes a 10,000rpm drive has faster throughput and seeks, but the difference is not all that great. The older 74GB Raptors are noisy as hell, and it's rather old tech. I wouldn't buy one. They run VERY hot and are noisy. The Raptors came out in 36/74 and 150/300. I would not buy of the first group personally.

You really are a sound voice amongst the din and one full of reason. PcPitstop runs an overall test and says my hard drive sucks but I've always been happy. My monitor is 6 year old analog so maybe I should cover that base. I have an LCD tv and it's been great...not state of the art but great. A rebuilt Samsung 19" Consumers top rated monitor is only $150. They caution that it won't be repaired with up to 5 burned out pixels. That scares me. Same caveat for new. Guess you pays your money and you takes your chances. Maybe I should stick with analog. My card has digital output but I always heard analog looks better for gaming. Not kissing butt...you really are a smart man.

Hitachi has a program to change their Sata HD's to Sata II if capable. Turns out my old HD is capable and my lovely board which I got courtesy of Derek's good advice. Although capable in this instance has nothing to do with it' actual ability. A fellow at LegendMicro turned me on to the Samsung 2253LW monitor rebuilt for 2 bills and a three year warranty. 22 inch WS with 2ms response time. I think this will twirl my beanie much more than an unseen HD. Amazon rates it as excellent for gaming.

Archived