Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2PT in an ABIT KV8-MAX 3 mobo

kferro

RamGuy,

Way back when - 4 years ago now - you deligently guided me in correctly configuring my old PC3200XL Pro memory for my Abit KV8-MAX 3 motherboard (here's the original thread: http://asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=30768). Well, I'm in need of your assistance again!

In an attempt to double the RAM in my machine, I'm trying to install your TWINX2048-3200C2PT memory into the same board . . . but much like with the previous sticks, I cannot get it to configure properly . . . I get random reboots and numerous memory dumps/blue screens.

I have tried just about everything suggested in these forums . . . moved the sticks to the 1 and 3 dimm slots, set the voltage everywhere between 2.6 & 2.8, switched the DRAM config from Manaul to SPD and back again . . . but all to no avail.

One thing to note...the spec sheet for this new RAM states a voltage of 2.75V, but the bios for this board does not give that as an option - it instead goes from 2.7 to 2.8. Could this be the issue?

Might you - or anyone else for that matter - have some quick advice for properly configuring this memory in this board?

Much thanks in advance!

• Corsair Employees

Can you please add your complete system specifications to the dropdown menu under your profile name? Also, tell me exactly which kit you originally had.

Also, are you attempting to run the new memory only or are you mixing it with the older memory? And, 2.8v is safe with this kit.

Can you please add your complete system specifications to the dropdown menu under your profile name? Also, tell me exactly which kit you originally had.

Also, are you attempting to run the new memory only or are you mixing it with the older memory? And, 2.8v is safe with this kit.

Okay, I've updated my system specs, less my video card (I know it's an ATI Radeon, but which flavor, I can't remember) which I will update when I get back home.

And to your question, I am NOT mixing the sticks.

Thanks!

Download Memtest86+ Version 2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter your BIOS and set to these values

Jumperfree Configuration

Overclock profile: Manual

OC Guru

CPU Operating Speed = User Define
- External Clock = 200/66/33Mhz
- Multiplier Factor = X 12
- AGP Ratio (CPU:AGP:PCI) Fixed

Voltages Control = Manual
CPU Core Voltage = 1.455v
AGP VDDQ Voltage = 1.55v
DDR SDRAM Voltage = 2.8v
NB Voltage = 1.65v
SB Voltage = 1.55v

DRAM Configuration

DRAM Clock = DDR333
DRAM Command Rate = 2T
Cas latency Time (Tcl) = 2.5
Ras# to Cas# Delay (Trcd) = 3
Min Ras# Active Time (Tras) = 7
RAS# Precharge Time (TRP) = 3
Row Cycle Time = 12
Row Refresh Cycle Time = 14
RAS# to RAS# Delay = 3
Write Recovery Time = 3
Write to Read Delay = 3
Read to Write Delay = 3

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

derekT:

I set my bios as you suggested, with the exception of a couple of items . . . the bios would not allow me to set CPU voltage under 1.5v and the multiplier factor was locked in at 11. My bios also didn't have settings for NB or SB voltage.

I then ran memtest for almost 3 full passes with NO errors. However, I never saw that the test recognized the entire 2 gig of memory . . . I only saw 1024 displayed in the "Memory" (5th line down on left hand side of screen). Could I have a bad stick of RAM, therefore not recognized? I'll try placing them in one at a time to test.

ALSO, and this is a biggie . . . now when I try to boot into windows, I get a boot disk failure and niether of my hard drives are recognized in the bios. And when trying to boot, I hear a clicking noise every few seconds . . . not sure if it's the hard drives, or something on the motherboard . . . ???

derekT:

I set my bios as you suggested, with the exception of a couple of items . . . the bios would not allow me to set CPU voltage under 1.5v and the multiplier factor was locked in at 11. My bios also didn't have settings for NB or SB voltage.

I set for 939 not 754, my mistake.

I then ran memtest for almost 3 full passes with NO errors. However, I never saw that the test recognized the entire 2 gig of memory . . . I only saw 1024 displayed in the "Memory" (5th line down on left hand side of screen). Could I have a bad stick of RAM, therefore not recognized? I'll try placing them in one at a time to test.

Yes, that's what I would do.

ALSO, and this is a biggie . . . now when I try to boot into windows, I get a boot disk failure and niether of my hard drives are recognized in the bios. And when trying to boot, I hear a clicking noise every few seconds . . . not sure if it's the hard drives, or something on the motherboard . . . ???

Open the side of your case and listen to see if it is the drive. If so, shut the system down and remove the power cord for an hour or so. Try another boot. The clicking sound is usually hard drive issues. It's a fairly old system. Is the drive as old as they system?

quick follow up to previous post...

I placed each memory stick into DIMM 1 by itself and booted all the way into Windows no problem . . .that is to say that both sticks, when placed into Dimm 1, booted into Windows individually. HOWEVER, when I tried placing a single stick into Dimm 2, I got the same errors described above. And when I tried them in Dimm 3 slot, I got a "Bios Fail Safe Mode" message and could go no further.

I then placed one stick into Dimm 1 and one stick into Dimm 3 . . . I was able to boot to memtest, but it immediately detected errors (like 1200+ errors before the test was even 10% complete!!!)

I have unplugged my second hard drive and my second CD-rom - thinking something might be going on with power/resource consumption - but so far that hasn't helped.

I can post screenshots of the memtest findings, if that would help . . . ???

Thanks for your help guys!

DerekT - just finished testing each stick alone in DIMM 1, and BOTH RETURNED ERRORS when running memtest!

So to summarize, to this point, using the settings you suggested above, the ONLY time memtest ran with no errors was when I had two sticks in (I believe they were in the Dimm 1/Dimm 2 slots), but the test only recognized 1 gig memory, not the full 2 gigs as it should have. Also, when rebooting after that test, my hard drives were no longer recognized in BIOS or bootable.

It is very doubtful that both sticks would return errors. I think you have mainboard issues.

DerekT - just finished testing each stick alone in DIMM 1, and BOTH RETURNED ERRORS when running memtest!

So to summarize, to this point, using the settings you suggested above, the ONLY time memtest ran with no errors was when I had two sticks in (I believe they were in the Dimm 1/Dimm 2 slots), but the test only recognized 1 gig memory, not the full 2 gigs as it should have. Also, when rebooting after that test, my hard drives were no longer recognized in BIOS or bootable.

Archived