Corsair Community

750TX in an Antec Twelve Hundred

dagann

Hello.

In the Antec 1200, the psu is mounted at the bottom of the case.

Sould the fan be turned towards the bottom (the 1 cm clearance seems too small),

or upside down, pointing up towards the graphic card (problem with dust falling into the psu)?

I have seen tons of post about the antec 1200 or 900 with people asking about this particular issue. But not with a clear asnwer.

In another forum, a guy with an Antec twelve hundred tried with the PSU (not a corsair) fan upwards and downwards.

According to him, the PSU with fan downwards was 20° more(don't know if it's celsius or fahrenheit) than with the fan upwards.

My pc will be assembled this saturday by the shop. Since i don't how the will mount the psu, i will may need to unplug and replug the 750TX to get it in the best position.

I really don't know what to do.

May be owners of antec 1200, 900 or 300 could share with me their experience?

By the way, is there a way or a freeware to monitor my psu temp?

Well, typically, the fan of the Video Card (Dependent solely on the card) if the fan is facing up, you're not going to pull dust into the PSU. And really, you don't have to worry about dust in the PSU, because the big fan on the 750TX is pull air into it from the top (top being the fan part), and pulling it through and out the back. Its going to pull dust through it, heck, its gonna pull dust into itself regardless :). Now, in regards as to how to place the PSU, if they place it with the fan down, slap them, and never take your business there again.

The great thing, at least in my setup, with my GTX 260, is that air is pulled in from the top of the card, and is pulled down the length of the card over the GPU and VRAM, and out the back. I have no soundcard, and nothing in the way of the PSU and the GPU, so the PSU pulls the minor dissipating heat from the bottom of the card down and out with whatever its cool itself with. And on the 1200 and 900, the front fan bezel's pull air in the middle one depending on how you set it up will pull air across your hard-drives cooling them, and into your video card, suggesting you have the same type of cooling design generally with your graphics solution, as I do, and the bottom bezel's fan pulls air straight across and more likely than not, some of it through the PSU's fan.

Putting it facing down, would pull air hot air, and would practically just create suction, and heat the psu... The fan is ment to pull air through it, block it, and you defeat the purpose. Good luck with your new rig.

I've been building computers for 5+ years now, and I must say... the likes of Best Buy and Futureshop make me sick. Stick with either yourself, or the guy who needs the business, who isn't gonna muck up his good name to save a buck.

As they say in the ghetto, Pce Out M'Homeslice, One Love!

Thx for your complete answer.:biggrin:

There is a 1cm clearance under my psu, so the the fan is not blocked!:D:

I didn't have the courage turning uspide down the psu cause i would have to unplug and replug everything in my pc.

I installed à 12 cm coolink inside the 1200, directly blowing on the psu and under it, in the clearance under the 750TX.

I made quick test, not very professional, but it gives an idea.:D:

With a basic digital thermometer and a temp sensor plugged on it, i have tested the temp at the top of the psu (so the part without the fan) and under the psu in the clearance (the part with fan)

Test made with 1200's door opened,idle, 21°C in my room.

Top of the psu: 25°C

Clearance under the psu: 23°C

So it seems my 750TX is quite fine:cool:

PS:

I'm looking for a soft in order to monitor my psu temp, but it seems it does not exist. Any idea?

• Corsair Employees

Top of the psu: 25°C

Clearance under the psu: 23°C

So it seems my 750TX is quite fine:cool:

PS:

I'm looking for a soft in order to monitor my psu temp, but it seems it does not exist. Any idea?

I would agree with you, the PSU is guaranteed to operate at its full wattage at temperatures of up to 50 Celsius, so there is no need to monitor the temp. If the ambient temperature in your case reaches anywhere near 50C you will have motherboard/CPU/graphics card failures long before the PSU.

In the 1200 there is clearance and you can mount the PSU any way you wish (I prefer fan down myself). With the 900, there is no space under the PSU and I would recommend installing it with the fan facing up.

Thx RAM GUY.

Thus i know my choice is as good as the other possibility.

I also prefer fan down :)

So, 1cm clearance under the psu is enough for the fan?

I didn't know the 900 didn't have a clearance as the 1200.

Cause it does'nt have the 1200's bumpers?

• Corsair Employees
So, 1cm clearance under the psu is enough for the fan?

Shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't know the 900 didn't have a clearance as the 1200.

Cause it does'nt have the 1200's bumpers?

I believe the PSU sits flush on the bottom of the Antec 900 case.

Archived