Corsair Community

Possible 620HX problem?

azureice55

I'm having some issues with my system, but I'm not sure the exact problem. I have some fairly constant GPU crashes. The nVidia drivers crash in both XP and Vista, regardless of driver version. I swapped out the card once but the problem came back recently. I've also had to replace the RAM once too.

To clarify, the system doesn't really seem unstable overall. I don't have random bluescreens, and the crashes are generally only when I play video games, and some games cause it more than others (for example, TF2 runs fine, but RA3 will crash constanly). I have to restart when this happens.

The reason I suspect the power supply is according to Everest, the 12V supply is running at 11.33V, and EVGA has said that anything under 11.95 will cause system instability. Are there any other tools I can use to verify this? I checked it manually with my multimeter, and it reported 11.89V. It's considerably different from what Everest reports, but still below the threshold.

So I am wondering - could it be that the power supply is faulty, or am I using too much? I do have a powerful video card and 5 hard drives, and the newegg PSU calculator says I should have around 800 watts. Do I need to replace the PSU or get a bigger one?

• Corsair Employees

This PSU is more than sufficient for your system. Also, the 11.89v is well within the specification for the voltage.

Are you OCing your system at all? If yes, do you have the same issues at stock.

Also, for your memory, are you running a 2 x 2GB kit or a 4 x 1GB kit?

Strange that EVGA techs would tell you what they did. ATX specs allows for a 5% variation of voltage regulation up or down. (Though generally it won't come to that if the PSU is good). Anyways, 11.89 will not cause instability, i have a couple of psus with worse regulation than that, and they've never given me trouble.

Archived