Corsair Community

Stable System

FillYaBoots

Hello,

i am on my 3rd set of modules now and have installed my replacements tonight, after running memtest86 from the boot cd this showed no errors after about 20mins. could someone be kind enough to help me configure my manual bios settings to get the best out of my current setup? there are so many settings and im concerned something will be damaged :[pouts: only tonight the sticks indicated 2.10v but my bios flagged this as a no go from my current setting of 1.9v??

also im a bit confused as to when i originally set up the bios from the asus manual it advised my cpu freq should be 333 however in trying to set up the dram freq recently i was scratching my head as to why 800mhz was not showing until i manually changed the cpu freq to 266? whats all this mean is my processor running slower now?

am i correct in thinking these xms2 modules should be set up manually?

sorry for all the questions i am on a very keen learning curve here

thanks in advance

sorry i listed the numbers on the ram modules are there any others? if so i will list them and would appreciate the manual settings to set them up correctly?

thanks for taking the time

FYBM

please take a look at this link and count 15 down this is the memory i bought but the part number is different than listed at the supplier? should this not read TWIN2X1024-6400C4 Instead of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400C4) 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB)?????????

http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=11512

Thank you.

Download Memtest Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Please Enter your BIOS and set to these values, save and restart.

Configure System Frequency/Voltage

• AI Overclocking = Manual

• CPU Frequency = 333

• DRAM Frequency = 800MHz

• Performance Mode = Auto

• PCI Express Frequency = 100

• PCI Clock Synchronization Mode = 33.33

• Memory Voltage = 2.1v

• CPU Core Voltage = Auto

• FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

• MCH Chipset Voltage = Auto

• ICH Chipset Voltage = Auto

Advanced Chipset Settings

• Configure DRAM by SPD = Disabled

• DRAM CAS# Latency = 4

• DRAM RAS# Prechardge = 4

• DRAM RAs# to CAS# Delay = 4

• DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 12

• DRAM Write recovery Time = 6

Leave all else on AUTO settings. Boot to the CD and allow a few passes. If stable, enter Windows and please post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

thank you so much Derek i will do this and post my result 2mra, just a quick question though as i mentioned in my original post if i set the CPU Frequency to 333 i have no option in the DRAM Frequency for 800MHz until i manually force a 266 setting any ideas? sorry forgot to mention i have flashed to AMI BIOS 2801.

Kind Regards

FYBM

thank you so much Derek i will do this and post my result 2mra, just a quick question though as i mentioned in my original post if i set the CPU Frequency to 333 i have no option in the DRAM Frequency for 800MHz until i manually force a 266 setting any ideas? sorry forgot to mention i have flashed to AMI BIOS 2801.

Kind Regards

FYBM

What values do you have when you set to 333FSB? That's an old board and and I don't think it supports a 333MHz FSB processor.

Hi Derek,

i resorted back to default settings when installing new sticks as follows:

Cpu Freq - 333

Dram Freq - Auto

Manual Options while Cpu at 333 are:

DDR2 - 500Mhz

DDR2 - 667Mhz

DDR2 - 834Mhz

DDR2 - 889Mhz

DDR2 - 1000Mhz

DDR2 - 1111Mhz

DDR2 - 1334Mhz

Everything else at auto by default

Cpu Settings are:

Freq - 2666Mhz

Fsb - 1333Mhz

Let me know if you need anything else? Thank You.

By the very non inclusion of the standard JEDEC DRAM values in a ratio with 333Mhz means that this board does not fully support this chip. I would set the DRAM to 834Mhz and test with Memtest. It should work fine. Keep in mind that this board and chipset were created with the Pentium processor in mind, not the Core 2 as it was yet to even be released when this board was released.

The supported Intel Chip Speeds (Non Overclocked) that will bring a standard JEDEC DRAM values are:

266 --> 333 --> 400

Each of these, in a supported chipset will give supported JEDEC DRAM values. The only caveat is that the Intel chipset demands at least a 1:1 Ratio. (Non Overclocked)

266Mhz FSB CPU (533, 667, 800) MHz DRAM

333Mhz FSB CPU (667, 800) MHz DRAM

400Mhz FSB CPU (800) MHz DRAM

Higher values are via overclock. If the chipset does not give these ratios for these CPU's, then the chipset does not support the CPU other than via overclock. BIOS Revisions can change this issue, but it seems that yours has not.

Hi Derek,

Things are a lot clearer now, however i set Fsb to 333 and Dram to 834 with fingers crossed. on the first run of memtest it threw up 2 errors? (see screen shot) so i resorted back to my original manual settings of 266 and 800 is this the best i can expect from this board even with the latest bios flash?

i would also like to read more on this subject could you recommend any links please?

your time is much appreciated

IMGP0140.thumb.JPG.0a1ff875c4fa28fc9b4a36af4b7858c4.JPG

Hi Derek,

Things are a lot clearer now, however i set Fsb to 333 and Dram to 834 with fingers crossed. on the first run of memtest it threw up 2 errors? (see screen shot) so i resorted back to my original manual settings of 266 and 800 is this the best i can expect from this board even with the latest bios flash?

i would also like to read more on this subject could you recommend any links please?

your time is much appreciated

Set your timing to 5-4-4-12 and retest. It's pretty hard to find much new linkage on an old board such as that.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193

326 pages of posts although the last post is in 2006 :D:

Thanks Derek, Ok so my board is old lol think i will upgrade then any thoughts on a new one with me using the same cpu for now and the poss of upgrading cpu at later date? dont look forward to ripping antec 900 apart again lol. will look forward to reading all that information thank you very much for your help.

will try those new settings and post back?

Kind Regards

FYBM

I set the timings to 5-4-4-12 and re-tested with memtest, no errors now after 3 passes :D: is this the best i can expect now derek without buying a new board?

thank you

That's pretty good.

Download Everest Trial Version from here -->

Install Everest and right click on the (i) icon in the system tray. Choose Tools --> Cache and Memory Benchmark. Run the Benchmark and post the finished screenshot.

Hi Derek,

i downloaded everest and on unzipping my a/v mcafee detected new malware.bm (trojan) ?? is it normal for a/v to be twitchy?

I would say that it is a false positive. Mcafee and Norton are known to issue many false positives.

This is a professional piece of software, from a secured and professional website. You may wish to look at purchasing a fully heuristic anti-virus such as Nod32 rather than a software recognition based a/v.

http://www.nod32.com

Hello Derek,

I would really like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for all your help with my desktop pc, although i really enjoy building them its clear i have much to learn about setting them up and testing them??

i did my homework on this one buying at the time what i thought was a resonable system but its apparently now outdated lol.

i have run everest and posted my screenshot, please let me know what you think, and if you could suggest any settings that would improve what i have that would be appreciated?

craig

cachemem.png.a3b5360a498f3b696a554fecfd181d0d.png

Sure thing, Corsair aims to please.

Have you inserted the modules in the first and third slot? If not, please do so an run Everest again. All machines become outdated, but this does not mean they are slow either. You still have a very good system and should not need to purchase anything new for quite a few years yet. By purchasing high end products, you are still very "In the Times". :):

Archived