Corsair Community

Corsair DDR2 800 running at 400.4 MHz...?

l1kel1ke

Hey guys, this is barely a memory overclock, but I'm running a core 2 duo e7300 2.66 @ 3.2 <320x10> (stock voltage, prime95 stable) and since my mobo (P5kPL-CM) doesn't seem to have advanced OCing options (like fsb:dram freq settings) the DDR2 is running at 400.4MHz, which is basically .8 higher than the 800 =p However, I'm getting blue screens (not sure what the error is, as it flashes by too fast before reboot) sometimes while playing runes of magic, which is weird. I've run memtest and there were no problems, but I was told to check here anyway if it might be some kind of issue with maxing out the dram like that. Any tips would be appreciated =) I updated all my system info, but if I left out something that might be crucial please let me know! thanks in adv

Thank you. If you look at the CPU-z memory tab, you will see 400Mhz. Multiply this for DDR = Double Data Rate and you have 400 X 2 = 800Mhz.

You are running at 800Mhz.

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Boot to the Memtest CD. Run Memtest for two full passes.

Results?

wow, yeah, something's def wrong with this :/ took a photo, not sure if the screen was scrollable b/c I couldn't find any controls for it...but lots of red...

http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim1104ti2.jpg

I'm not familiar with memtest too much, is this repairable? or am i gonna have to get new memory? shame i've had this only since mid december :/

Have you set your DRAM Voltage? Set it to 1.9v. Set your timings to 5-5-5-18 with a 2T Command Rate. Then remove one stick leaving one stick in the first slot. Run memtest and allow for two full passes. Remove the stick and insert it in the third slot and run two full passes. Then remove that stick, insert the second stick in the first slot and retest. Finally, insert both sticks in slots 1 and 3 and retest. Be sure to enter your BIOS and set your DRAM voltage to 1.9v first.

Results?

I checked my bios (my mobo is VERY limited in terms of ocing/voltage settings) and there are no options to set the timings or command rate, and the DRAM voltage can only be set to 1.80V, 2.00V, and 2.20V, and 'Auto' (which it's currently on)

should I still go ahead with the individual tests?

After changing it to 2.0V, ran memtest on a hunch for 2 passes with no errors :) I'm guessing it was just undervolted on the mobo's auto of 1.8?

I'm guessing it's also fairly safe to run the 1.9V ram at 2.0V without drastically reducing life span (Not sure how overvolting memory works)?

anyway, thanks a million to both of you =)

I've got the same motherboard that you have. The manual that came with the motherboard says that 128mb memory chips won't work with the motherboard, and from what I found here at Corsair I think the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 chips are 128mb chips. I've got the TWIN2X2048-6400, and they've got 64mb chips. I also found out that CPU-Z gives me the same settings that you got.

If you go to ASUS's website, they have an updated list of compatable Corsair memory for the P5KPL-CM board. One thing I've found about Corsair, they're not very up front on how they're chips are made up of 64mb or 128mb chips.

I've got the same motherboard that you have. The manual that came with the motherboard says that 128mb memory chips won't work with the motherboard, and from what I found here at Corsair I think the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 chips are 128mb chips. I've got the TWIN2X2048-6400, and they've got 64mb chips. I also found out that CPU-Z gives me the same settings that you got.

If you go to ASUS's website, they have an updated list of compatable Corsair memory for the P5KPL-CM board. One thing I've found about Corsair, they're not very up front on how they're chips are made up of 64mb or 128mb chips.

I found something in the FAQs stating to basically up the voltage, much like my case. So...I'm not understanding what you're saying entirely, does that mean the problem will persist with the 128mb chips on this mobo even with the increased voltage?

I already saw Corsair's list that says what is compatable, but they all aren't on ASUS's list. I found this on Corsair's site:

Twin2x4096-6400C5

........................XMS640X v1.X...MICRON........128Mx8

........................XMS640X v2.X...QIMONDA......128Mx8

........................XMS640X v3.X...ELPIDA.........128Mx8

........................XMS640X v4.X...MICRON........128Mx8

........................XMS640X v5.X...PSC.............128Mx8

That means these modules aren't compatable with the P5KPL-CM according to ASUS. Only memory with 64Mx8.

The motherboard manual says: The motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128 mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules.

Archived