Corsair Community

VS2GBKIT400C3 + Asus K8V SE Deluxe

arif

Hi

Just got ahold of VS2GBKIT400C3 module for my board as my VS512MB400 had a lot of errors on memtest (which I will request a RMA for if these 2 gig kit works). I am getting system locks and Machine_Check_Exception which I am assuming that the timings need to be set.

Machine Spec is:

Athlon 3200+ 2gig

Asus K8V SE Deluxe - K8t800 Chipset

Nvidia agp 5200fx

2gb VS2GBKIT400C3 (Purchased from Here)

Can anyone assist me with timings please as all the settings are Auto at the moment.

Arif

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Restart the system
  11. Enter the BIOS
  12. Load Default Settings
  13. Save Default Settings and Exit
  14. Restart the System and enter the BIOS

Timings are 3-3-3-8 2T and I would set the DRAM voltage to 2.75v

Cas latency (TCL) : 3

Min ras active time (TRAS) : 8

Ras to Cas delay (TRCD) : 3

Row precharge time (TRP) : 3

1T/2T memory timing : 2

H/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled

Memory Voltage Adjustment: 2.75V

Hi,

Done all of the steps as outlined but when I go to set the timings to the settings you specified, I can only see the following settings.

Memclock mode

Bank Interlacing

Cas Latency

TRC

TRFC

TRCD

TWR

TRWT

TRAS

TRP

DDR CLOCK DELAY

I can't set :

1T/2T memory timing : 2

H/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled

Also would Memory Voltage Adjustment also be called DDR Voltage as that is all I can find.

I ran memtest and passed without errors for the first pass, so I stuck the windows disc in and it froze as it loaded. Some occaisions I get a Stop error 0x0000007F. I then tried Suse Linux 11.1 disc and that just froze as it went to load the setup.

Would you know what the problem is? The freezing also happens if I have only 1 of the modules in at a time.

I can not say. The pass on memtest shows that the DRAM is not the issue. It might well be that the motherboard's memory controller is wonky and does not either like high density DRAM. I would say motherboard issues. Very possibly the board is overvolting and that is what damaged the previous DRAM.

I ran memtest and passed without errors for the first pass, so I stuck the windows disc in and it froze as it loaded. Some occaisions I get a Stop error 0x0000007F. I then tried Suse Linux 11.1 disc and that just froze as it went to load the setup.

Would you know what the problem is? The freezing also happens if I have only 1 of the modules in at a time.

Does that mean a new Motherboard then?

I went to put back the previous DRAM that wasnt working as it was atleast on the odd occasion able to get into windows and it would stay ok unless I restarted. However putting back the old DRAM the issue continued and on top of that on one of the old modules a small chip fell off.

Not my day today.

I would normally (in your situation) look to the motherboard or the CPU. You have not been overclocking so I would not put it on the CPU. Since you have issues at the optical drive reading, you may want to try a new drive, but I would doubt that being the issue, unless it is an additinal issue.

I doubt it is a drive as its a brand new drive I got last week. Nope dont do any overclocking at all. Tried Windows XP same issue as well. Time to get a new PC. Any chance I can get a RMA on the VS512MB400 as I know they have errors cause I ran a memtest before and it showed numerous errors.

Archived