Corsair Community

Possible problem with my PSU

mlp1007

I recently purchased parts from Newegg to build a new computer. One of the parts was the Corsair 650 Watt power supply.

Upon putting all the hardware together and receiveing my replacemet video card, I discovered a problem and it might be the power supply. I put the video card into the motherboard and connected the 2 6-pin connectors and powered up my video card. The computer turned on and I was able to get through the POST and into the BIOS. After about 2 minutes, the computer shut down. I tried then using the connectors that came with the video card, and still had the same problem. I'm guessing it's the power supply because the computer turns off. The video card requires 500 watts to run. It's a 650 watt power supply so it should work. I also plugged the computer directly into the wall instead of the power strip that I normally use. I do not know what is going on, could anybody help?

• Corsair Employees

There are a few possibilities:

1. Something is overheating, check your temps next time following a shutdown.

2. Possibly a memory problem, use http://www.memtest.org to make sure you are not getting any errors.

3. The motherboard or some other component is going out of spec and tripping the overcurrent/overvoltage protection circuits in the PSU. Try the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same problems. (or try the basic PSU functionality test and see if it turns off on its own)

4. There is a faulty component in the PSU.

I would go down the list and see if you can narrow down the possibilities. If it looks like there is a good chance that a replacement PSU will resolve the issues then, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

There are a few possibilities:

1. Something is overheating, check your temps next time following a shutdown.

2. Possibly a memory problem, use http://www.memtest.org to make sure you are not getting any errors.

3. The motherboard or some other component is going out of spec and tripping the overcurrent/overvoltage protection circuits in the PSU. Try the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same problems. (or try the basic PSU functionality test and see if it turns off on its own)

4. There is a faulty component in the PSU.

I would go down the list and see if you can narrow down the possibilities. If it looks like there is a good chance that a replacement PSU will resolve the issues then, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I've resolved the issue, it wasn't within the PSU. My CPU Fan/Heatsink wasn't tightly secured to the MOBO, unpon securing it, the computer stayed on till I hit the power button.

Thank you, I now face an issue with installing windows vista, BSOD shows up after boot screen :/.

• Corsair Employees
Thank you, I now face an issue with installing windows vista, BSOD shows up after boot screen :/.

I would test the memory modules one at a time in the same slot and see if you have the same problems with both, or if you can isolate a single module which may be causing problems.

Archived