Jump to content
Corsair Community

Flash performance!


Synthohol

Recommended Posts

a quick format merely erases the file allocation table (index) a full format deletes the data from each cluster and creates new clusters.

using an app to format is easier because its automated. and less chance of improper/accidental user input at a command prompt.

they may be using that app in the lab and found the results satisfactory.

heck, i use norton/symantec corporate anti-virus even when others bash it to death however i havent had a virus on any of my 13 computers in 7 years since i started using it. the results are more than satisfactory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a quick format merely erases the file allocation table (index) a full format deletes the data from each cluster and creates new clusters.

using an app to format is easier because its automated. and less chance of improper/accidental user input at a command prompt.

they may be using that app in the lab and found the results satisfactory.

heck, i use norton/symantec corporate anti-virus even when others bash it to death however i havent had a virus on any of my 13 computers in 7 years since i started using it. the results are more than satisfactory.

 

Hi ya, Synthohol and thanks for your reply and for the edification.

 

While I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to RAM GUY's COMPREHENSIVE reply that ANSWERS each and every QUESTION (and subcomponents therein) asked, I do have a little preliminary perspective on this software.

 

Using a generic 64MB flash drive (yes, I know, only 64MB - it was a freebie from Comcast Workplace), this software created 16K block sizes. I find that totally absurd, given its capacity is 1/16th of a GB. In comparison, the OTHER software that RAM GUY pushes at Corsair users, HP's USB Disk Storage Format Tool, in its default mode, formats my 8GB Corsair with 4096 block size, and my 16GB Corsair with 8192 block size. I wonder what RAM GUY's NEXT software RECOMMENDATION will do to or for our flash drives.

 

So, RAM GUY, why doesn't Corsair distribute a utility that performs all the functions of the HP and SD-CARD Organization software?

 

Oh, and RAM GUY, also answer the questions in my previous thread. Thank you.

 

Thanks again for your reply, Synthohol.

 

T4USD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hey, now that you got my curiosity up, i tried 3 different ways to format and test the speed on my own flash stick.

im pretty happy with the SD format tool as while not showing whirlwind performance over other methods it does render higher HD Bench scores. (so far)

 

here's what i got on a random 2 gig flash stick so far. im gonna try a couple more ways to format as soon as i have more time but for now im happy! I wish i had a Corsair drive to test but I dont (yet) so please dont take these results as Corsair performance.

 

HDBENCH 340B6			        ALL	READ	WRITE  RAN R   RAN W

2G Brand * FLASH DRIVE							
FAT32 WINDOWS FORMAT			2663	9242	2439	9126	500
SD TOOL			             2754    9295    2742    9203	794
/FS:FAT32 /U METHOD			 2663	9229	2433	9139	500

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if you wanna see performance jump in hdbench, format your drive to ntfs and set the allocation size to 512.

 

on my rma'd drive the hdbench writes went from 4 megs a sec to almost 10 megs a sec.

 

 

but that really didnt matter much.

 

it still took 2:30 hours to write 2.2 gig worth of files. while my smaller offbrand stick took 14 minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hey, now that you got my curiosity up, i tried 3 different ways to format and test the speed on my own flash stick.

im pretty happy with the SD format tool as while not showing whirlwind performance over other methods it does render higher HD Bench scores. (so far) SNIP

 

EXCELLENT! I LOVE IT!! You GO Synthohol!!!

 

Care to share which SDFormatter "option" settings you used to achieve your results?

 

The link that RAM GUY provided to download SDFormatter included version 2.0.0.3 and I went to the Panasonic support website and verified that it is the current release. As far as I can tell, this version of SDFormatter does not allow the user to override or specify the "default allocation unit size" or (as I prefer) the "block" size.

 

See the following thread for additional info on block size: http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72440

 

Given version 2.0.0.3 SDFormatter's options, I believe that the following combinations include the possible settings:

 

#1

FORMAT TYPE = QUICK

FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT = OFF

 

#2

FORMAT TYPE = QUICK

FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT = ON

 

#3

FORMAT TYPE = FULL [Erase OFF]

FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT = OFF

 

#4

FORMAT TYPE = FULL [Erase OFF]

FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT = ON

 

#5

FORMAT TYPE = FULL [Erase ON]

FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT = OFF

 

#6

FORMAT TYPE = FULL [Erase ON]

FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT = ON

 

I have yet to test my 8GB and 16GB Corsairs with any of the above settings or with SDFormatter period. I was waiting for RAM GUY's answers to my questions before proceeding. However, given your adventurous spirit, I am now inspired to do the same.

 

Sorry you don't have a Flash Voyager or other Corsair USB drive to test. The more Corsairs tested, the faster we can validate or invalidate RAM GUY's recommendation. That being said, what manufacturer and model are you using to achieve the superior "SDFormatter" results?

 

I understand that when we text other manufacturers names the forum software automatically (or RAM GUY manually) replaces the letters with asterisks. However, I found that adding asterisks between the letters can delay this process. For example, K*I*N*G*S*T*O*N.

 

Speaking of RAM GUY, I still want his answers to my questions.

 

Thanks for your sharing your results, Synthohol.

 

T4USD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wired - SMB

 

For wkzvyx, trades4usd, Synthohol and DevAdv . . .

 

Using my DTI 1GB USB drive (denoted as K1GB below), formatted using (a) XP's format tool at FAT32 and NTFS, (b) XP's format command line syntax © HP's USB Disk Storage Format Tool, and (d) SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 which produced ZERO results, see notes below; my HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 test results include:

 

# 1 XP's format tool - under MY COMPUTER, right clicking on the USB drive then select FORMAT

K1GB - FAT32 default

- Read 12649

- Write 2036

- RandomRead 12270

- RandomWrite 374

 

# 1A using command line FORMAT H: /FS:NTFS /U /A:512 (an issue with NTFS formatting includes the fact that the USB drive must be set to PERFORMANCE versus QUICK REMOVAL which may account for the improved Write speed)

K1GB - NTFS 512

- Read 12089

- Write 2175

- RandomRead 10777

- RandomWrite 367

NOTE : Compared to # 1, Write increased 6.83%. Otherwise, all other speeds decreased - Read 4.43% - RandomRead 12.17% - RandomWrite 1.87% when formatted to NTFS with 512 block size.

 

# 1B using command line FORMAT H: /FS:NTFS /U with default block size (again, an issue with NTFS formatting includes the fact that the USB drive must be set to PERFORMANCE versus QUICK REMOVAL which may account for the improved Write speed)

K1GB - NTFS default

- Read 11722

- Write 2166

- RandomRead 10939

- RandomWrite 366

NOTE : Compared to # 1, Write increased 6.39%. Otherwise, all other speeds decreased - Read 7.33% - RandomRead 10.85% - RandomWrite 2.14% when formatted to NTFS with default block size.

 

# 2 using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

K1GB - FAT32 default

- Read 12481

- Write 1982

- RandomRead 12202

- RandomWrite 370

 

# 3 using SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

K1GB - FAT32 default

> Quick ERASE

> Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

HDBench error - popup window - GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. This ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

# 4 using SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

K1GB - FAT32 default

> Quick ERASE

> Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON

HDBench error - popup window - GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. This ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

# 5 using SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

K1GB - FAT32 default

> OverWrite ERASE

> Flash ERASE OFF

> Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

HDBench error - popup window - GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. This ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

# 6 using SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

K1GB - FAT32 default

> OverWrite ERASE

> Flash ERASE OFF

> Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON

HDBench error - popup window - GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. This ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

# 7 using SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

K1GB - FAT32 default

> OverWrite ERASE

> Flash ERASE ON (canceled because this device didn't support it)

> Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

HDBench error - popup window - GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. This ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

# 8 using SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

K1GB - FAT32 default

> OverWrite ERASE

> Flash ERASE ON (canceled because this device didn't support it)

> Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON

HDBench error - popup window - GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. This ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

CONCLUSIONS

- As DevAdv stated above, we may achieve faster Write speeds at NTFS with 512 block size.

- HP's USB Disk Storage Format Tool produces slower results than XP's formatting options.

- SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 is WORTHLESS . . . thanks for the recommendation RAM GUY.

 

Regards,

 

Smithson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees

With the SD Card dot Org Utility I suggested this when someone complains of performance and you just use the default settings if you want to play with them you do it AT YOUR Own RISK! Our flash drives are made to the SD Card Orgination standard and their utility offers the best and safest format especially if someone suspects performance issues with their drive.

That was the reason I posted the utility.

We did previously offer a utility but it was controller specific and was not compatible with newer controllers that are used with current drives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do you mean by this particular acronym?

 

Given your unambiguous propensity in this and other forums, in addition to the self-promotion found in your Signature, I expected that you may benefit from SMB.

 

The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and as implemented in Microsoft Windows is known as Microsoft SMB Protocol. The SMB protocol provides a method for client applications in a computer to read and write to files on and to request services from server programs in a computer network.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the SD Card dot Org Utility I suggested this when someone complains of performance and you just use the default settings if you want to play with them you do it AT YOUR Own RISK! Our flash drives are made to the SD Card Orgination standard and their utility offers the best and safest format especially if someone suspects performance issues with their drive. That was the reason I posted the utility. We did previously offer a utility but it was controller specific and was not compatible with newer controllers that are used with current drives.

 

Interesting.

 

Obviously Corsair finds no value to update its software or create software that is capable of handling the variety of their own controllers. Pity. Apparently your customers strongly desire this software and Corsair could lead by example, as they once did, instead of following the misbegotten strategies of other companies.

 

Strange how you persistently recommend software developed by other companies, Panasonic and Hewlett Packard, for example, that manage to accomplish exactly what you say Corsair cannot.

 

I know a few good engineers, MSCEs, PhDs and Registered PEs, who would love to secure a consulting fee from Corsair to produce this simple software. I am told that it is quite simple to implement, regardless of the controllers.

 

Smithson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The following format-related tests were conducted on a new Corsair 16GB Flash Voyager, model CMFUSB2.0-16GB. In addition, Corsair Flash Voyager USB Device Properties / Policies / Write caching and Safe Removal / setting set to "Optimize for performance."

 

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.1.8.0

setting > FAT32 default

setting > Quick Format - NOT SELECTED

setting > Create a DOS startup disk - NOT SELECTED

- Read 31801

- Write 8390

- RandomRead 31960

- RandomWrite 358

RESULTS include HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 test with 100MB file.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

setting > Quick ERASE

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

- Read UNKNOWN

- Write UNKNOWN

- RandomRead UNKNOWN

- RandomWrite UNKNOWN

RESULTS are UNKNOWN because while this FLAWED software supposedly formatted the drive, Windows Explorer reported "The disk in drive X is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

setting > OverWrite ERASE

setting > Flash ERASE OFF

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

- Read UNKNOWN

- Write UNKNOWN

- RandomRead UNKNOWN

- RandomWrite UNKNOWN

RESULTS are UNKNOWN because after this FLAWED software stated the drive was formatted, Windows Explorer reported "The disk in drive X is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" Therefore, HDBench reported the following error: GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. As previously stated by T4USD, this ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

setting > OverWrite ERASE

setting > Flash ERASE OFF

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON (a useless setting - no results because this FLAWED software's format routine was not executed)

- Read UNKNOWN

- Write UNKNOWN

- RandomRead UNKNOWN

- RandomWrite UNKNOWN

RESULTS are UNKNOWN because this FLAWED software will not format a Corsair 16GB Flash Voyager USB drive.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

setting > OverWrite ERASE

setting > Flash ERASE ON (corsair USB drive does not support it - no results because this FLAWED software's format routine was not executed)

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

- Read UNKNOWN

- Write UNKNOWN

- RandomRead UNKNOWN

- RandomWrite UNKNOWN

RESULTS are UNKNOWN because this FLAWED software will not format a Corsair 16GB Flash Voyager USB drive.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

setting > OverWrite ERASE

setting > Flash ERASE ON (corsair USB drive does not support it - no results because this FLAWED software's format routine was not executed)

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON (a useless setting - again, no results because this FLAWED software's format routine was not executed)

- Read UNKNOWN

- Write UNKNOWN

- RandomRead UNKNOWN

- RandomWrite UNKNOWN

RESULTS are UNKNOWN because this FLAWED software will not format a Corsair 16GB Flash Voyager USB drive.

 

CONCLUSION

Do not be fooled by the SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 software's QUICK format - it did not format this Corsair drive.

 

PROOF - using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.1.8.0

After formatting my 16GB Flash Voyager with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.1.8.0, I immediately formatted it again with SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 and, as stated above, while this FLAWED software stated the drive was formatted, Windows Explorer reported "The disk in drive X is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" Therefore, HDBench reported the following error: GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. As previously stated by T4USD, this ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

PROOF - using Windows XP command line syntax

After formatting my 16GB Flash Voyager with Windows XP command line syntax, as noted by T4USD and as typically demanded by RAM GUY, FORMAT H: /FS:NTFS /U, I immediately formatted it with SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 and, as stated above, while this FLAWED software stated the drive was formatted, Windows Explorer reported "The disk in drive X is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" Therefore, HDBench reported the following error: GetDiskFreeSpaceExA is Failure. As previously stated by T4USD, this ERROR means that SDFormatter did NOT format the drive.

 

THANKS

Goes to RAM GUY for recommending the SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 software that does not work with Corsair 16MB Flash Voyager CMFUSB2.0-16GB USB drives.

 

Smithson

 

P.S. I trust T4USD will not mind my borrowing his/her approach to documenting my test results. It seemed reasonable to adopt this approach after he/she was the first to report that the SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 software specifically states, "Do not format recordable media other than SD/SDHC Memory Cards using SD formatting software." Brilliant! Simply Brilliant!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given your unambiguous propensity in this and other forums, in addition to the self-promotion found in your Signature, I expected that you may benefit from SMB.

 

The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and as implemented in Microsoft Windows is known as Microsoft SMB Protocol. The SMB protocol provides a method for client applications in a computer to read and write to files on and to request services from server programs in a computer network.

That's one of many definitions for SMB, yes. Google be praised.

 

Now WHAT does "Wired - SMB" have to do with this discussion? Clearly you intended the acronym for me, but I fail to see the link with "Server Message Block" and myself or this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
With the SD Card format utility after it is completed you have to remove the drive and reinsert it as it formats the drive at the controller level and FAT will have to be re detected. That is why it would not see the drive after you formatted the drive. And Smithson I would expect you to know this if you are who you say you are.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry that you read so much into it, Wired.

 

When I read your self-promotions, Admin of ... this forum and webdesignforums.net, Mod at http://www.petri.co.il/forums/, and Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon), I assumed you would be familiar. Clearly I err'd.

 

Google had nothing to do with it, but I'm happy to see you site them. They are a client of mine. As RAM GUY surmised in his 11:34 AM reply, I may be more than my syntax of English implies. In fact, as a software engineer, registered professional engineer, consulting firm owner and employer of several Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers, I may know a little more than most. But not all. Regardless, as I said, you are reading far too much into it, Wired. Chill, dude.

 

I suppose if you truly wanted to live in the land of make believe, it may come as no surprise that my initial are also BMS or MBS or SMB as in Smithson, Martin B. You choose. Whatever trips your trigger.

 

Oh, and no, I don't work for Corsair!

 

Smithson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the SD Card format utility after it is competed you have to remove the drive and reinsert it as it formats the drive at the controller level and FAT will have to be redetected. That is why it would not see the drive after you formatted the drive. And Smithson I would expect you to know this if you are who you say you are.

 

Oh. That's good to know, RAM GUY. Haven't seen that explained previously, but I have not read every post either.

 

Let me give it a try and report back.

 

Ciao,

 

Smithson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the SD Card format utility after it is competed you have to remove the drive and reinsert it as it formats the drive at the controller level and FAT will have to be redetected. That is why it would not see the drive after you formatted the drive. And Smithson I would expect you to know this if you are who you say you are.

 

As a follow-up to my previous reply to RAM GUY's comment, time stamped 11:30 PM noted herein, the following format-related tests were conducted on a new Corsair 16GB Flash Voyager, model CMFUSB2.0-16GB. In addition, Corsair Flash Voyager USB Device Properties / Policies / Write caching and Safe Removal / setting set to "Optimize for performance."

 

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.1.8.0

setting > FAT32 default

setting > Quick Format - NOT SELECTED

setting > Create a DOS startup disk - NOT SELECTED

- Read 31801

- Write 8390

- RandomRead 31960

- RandomWrite 358

RESULTS include HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 with 100MB file. This software sets cluster size to 8192, a common size for typical usage.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 - removed and reinserted

setting > Quick ERASE (excessively slow - creates a cluster size of 32768)

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

- Read 31960

- Write 9943

- RandomRead 32425

- RandomWrite 369

RESULTS include HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 with 100MB file. This software sets cluster size to 32768, which may be too large for typical usage.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 - removed and reinserted

setting > Quick ERASE (excessively slow - creates a cluster size of 32768)

setting > Flash ERASE OFF

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

- Read 31960

- Write 9898

- RandomRead 32110

- RandomWrite 366

RESULTS include HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 with 100MB file. This software sets cluster size to 32768, which may be too large for typical usage.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 - removed and reinserted

setting > Quick ERASE (excessively slow - creates a cluster size of 32768)

setting > Flash ERASE OFF

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON

- Read 31960

- Write 9854

- RandomRead 31960

- RandomWrite 366

RESULTS include HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 with 100MB file. This software sets cluster size to 32768, which may be too large for typical usage.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

setting > OverWrite ERASE

setting > Flash ERASE ON (setting is not supported by Corsair USB drive)

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT OFF

RESULTS are superfluous since the "Flash ERASE ON" setting is not supported by this 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager USB drive.

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3

setting > OverWrite ERASE

setting > Flash ERASE ON (setting is not supported by Corsair USB drive)

setting > Format SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON

RESULTS are superfluous since the "Flash ERASE ON" setting is not supported by this 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager USB drive.

 

Windows XP SP2 command line syntax FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /U /A:32K

- Read 33773

- Write 9929

- RandomRead 33941

- RandomWrite 411

RESULTS include HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 test with 100MB file. Cluster size set to 32K or 32768, which may be too large for typical usage.

 

SUMMARY

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.1.8.0 software works quickly and includes an option to create a bootable USB drive, an added value.

 

SD-CARD Organization SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 software sets cluster size to 32768, which may be too large for typical usage if that usage involves primarily small files. This cluster size wastes storage space unless large MB and or GB files are being transferred. A cluster size of 32768 may increase Write speeds and, if so, the HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 test results may support this.

 

Windows XP SP2 command line syntax FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /U /A:32K cumulatively out-performed both the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.1.8.0 and the SD-CARD Organization software, and the HDBench 3.40 Beta 6 test results support this fact summarized as follows:

 

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.1.8.0 - cluster size 8192

- Read 31801

- Write 8390

- RandomRead 31960

- RandomWrite 358

 

SD-CARD Organization, A.K.A. SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 - cluster size 32768

- Read 31960

- Write 9898

- RandomRead 32110

- RandomWrite 366

 

Windows XP SP2 command line syntax FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /U /A:32K - cluster size 32768

- Read 33773

- Write 9929

- RandomRead 33941

- RandomWrite 411

 

CONCLUSION

If your PC is capable of executing Windows XP SP2 (or greater) command line syntax FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /U /A:32K, then RAM GUY's recommended SD-CARD Organization SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 software is ABSOLUTELY USELESS.

 

If your objective includes creating a bootable USB drive, then the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.1.8.0 software works nicely. In this regard, the SD-CARD Organization SDFormatter 2.0.0.3 software is, once again, ABSOLUTELY USELESS.

 

Smithson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees

Well that is your opinion and in your own tests for the average user who may not understand how to set the cluster size using that utility will restore the flash drive to standard format that will restore its performance again according to your own results so I fail to see why you say its useless.

 

And I have always suggested just using the default format!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that is your opinion and in your own tests for the average user who may not understand how to set the cluster size using that utility will restore the flash drive to standard format that will restore its performance again according to your own results so I fail to see why you say its useless.

 

And I have always suggested just using the default format!

 

While I am moderately humored by your response, RAM GUY, I am not surprised.

 

As a professional engineer and software engineer whom has designed and tested systems and programs for the last 25 years, I assure you my "opinion" and "test results" could not be more accurate or conclusive.

 

The current release of Panasonic's SD Memory Card Formatting Software Instruction Manual, October 1, 2008, page 13, section 5.7 Notes, line 1, specifically states: "Do not format recordable media other than SD/SDHC Memory Cards using this software. If you have mistakenly formatted a recordable media other than the SD/SDHC Memory Card, reformat the media using the appropriate formatting software that came with the media."

 

It appears that your perspective or expertise regarding this particular software may be displaced. Given the fact that the Windows Operating System XP command line syntax FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /U /A:32K generates superior results, without SDFormatter 2.0.0.3's overhead and or peripheral complications, it is quite clear that your recommended SD-CARD Organization software is inappropriate, inferior and similarly flawed when applied to this Corsair flash drive.

 

In addition, it is clear that you have either chosen or failed to disclose or address the fact that Panasonic unambiguously states: Do not format recordable media other than SD/SDHC Memory Cards using this software. If you have mistakenly formatted a recordable media other than the SD/SDHC Memory Card, reformat the media using the appropriate formatting software that came with the media," along with your recommendation, "default format!" or not. This choice or failure is professionally irresponsible and reflects an unaccountabile posture that mandates disclosure. Corsair customers, myself included, deserve better.

 

Should you or Corsair wish to pursue or further challenge my analysis, I suggest that you do so with a recognized, certified and licensed independent third-party testing entity. As a professional courtesy, I will be happy to forward my complete documentation to its' engineer in charge. Oh, by the way, our firm meets the above criteria and therefore it will be a pleasure to work within the industry that I have enjoyed for the last 25 years.

 

With due respect and regards,

 

Smithson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees

I can appreciate your comments and concerns I have moved your posts to their own thread in another section and will have our Flash team review your comments and comment back if they feel the need.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...