Corsair Community

Asus P5q pro and twin2x2048-6400C4DHX

Wryno

I saw a few other posts on here with general regards to a problem with this mobo and many types of RAM. Here's my story:

I originally bought 8gb of this RAM to install, I immediately found that two of the sticks were very faulty and produced many errors with Memtest and when installed would garner many BSOD's. I returned them to Corsair.

The replacements showed up yesterday. I was very excited.

I Had been wheeling around the web and saw that my mobo was kinda picky about ram, especially about having 8gb of ram. Low and behold there was a BIOS update that said it might address this issue, so I updated (1613).

I booted up with my original 4gb and everything was hunky-dory. I shut down, powered down and installed my just replaced 4gb kit, flipped on my PSU hit the power button and yay fans fired up and generally good computer noises happened.

Then nothing. No, the computer didn't shut down, it just hung, just like that. No power to any peripherals, including mouse keyboard and monitor.

I'll summarize the rest as i'm being long-winded. I tested both the good ram in all the slots and it worked everytime, in every configuration. I tested the bad ram in all slots, in all configurations and it never worked and would only do the exact same, non-post, power up.

Do I just have really bad luck?

Thanks much for any and all assistance.

All apologies, it's cm2x2048-6400c4dhx

It's the pack with two sticks of 2gb ram. My settings were at 4-4-4-12 2.1v as they should be.

The one i bought initially still works (giving me 4gb of ram currently occupying slot 1 and 3 in my mobo (or 0 and 2, i forget if they're even numbered)).

Archived