Corsair Community

Corsair HX520 watt: can it power a 285 + OC'd Quad?

GoldenTiger

I posted this originally elsewhere so I'm going to just quote myself.

Heya everyone... I just got a BFG GTX 285 OC card in, and when I overclock it much at all my computer drops the video signal when I enter 3D (such as Crysis) that loads the CPU and video card (sometimes it eventually bluescreens, sometimes it just hangs forever), vs. just the video card (such as ATItool's artifact scanner which works fine). Normally when overclocking, your video card will artifact at some point, or just hard lock with the image frozen on screen in my experience, if it's starting to hit its limits. However, that is not happening to me, and I can artifact scan without error (detected or anything I can see visually) just fine at speeds that crash as soon as I load up the CPU.

Before, I was running a GTX 280 oc'd to around the same speeds this 285 comes stock. My current setup is this:

Corsair HX 520w PSU

GTX 285 1GB

8GB RAM (4x2GB sticks) @ 400 5-5-5 2T 1:1

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2ghz (8x400)

2 HDD's

DVDRW

X-Fi XtremeGamer

Five 120mm case fans

eVGA NF68-A1 680i SLI motherboard

So, my question is, do you think that the cause of my crashes is my PSU not being beefy enough for this setup? The GTX 280 ran fine for a few months at its oc'd speeds, but I'm thinking it must have been on the razor's edge and this is just pushing it over the top of my PSU's capabilities. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Since then I have tried taking out three of the four sticks of RAM and one hard drive, then testing, to get the same result. Given this info, would you guys say that my PSU is enough (it's about 2.5 years old), or is it just going over its capabilities? I also have tested further and the shader is the culprit on my card crashing, CPU loaded or not.

Appreciate the help!

EDIT: Now after awhile of gaming it will black out, then come back, then black out again and come back a time or two after several seconds each, then fully crash. I'm really unsure whether it's the power supply or the card now :confused:.

• Corsair Employees

I would think that removing 3 modules and a hard drive would free up enough power to rule out the PSU as being insufficient, especially if everything works fine together when you are not overclocking the card. You may want to test the card in a different system and see if you can duplicate the same issues. I would say its possible that you could be pulling more power that the PSU can provide if you are heavily overclocking, but I would suspect some other issue.

If you leave the CPU at default settings and just overclock the video card, do you have the same issues?

Heya, thanks for the response. I tried clocking the CPU and everything back to stock also, with no change. To rule out any power issue, I ordered a Corsair TX750 from amazon... no change in behavior at all. The card works 100% fine if it's not overclocked, so I don't think it was a power issue at all with the HX520, which makes sense since the power draw on the 285 is supposed to be lower than the 285.

I also picked up a second card since there's no restocking fee for them from the vendor I ordered from, to rule out a defective card. Again, slightly different overclock but same result, with either PSU. So, in short... turned out nothing was wrong. I'm returning everything and holding out for the next major card release with my 280 to tide me over with the HX520 that I have and was using.

• Corsair Employees
In that case I would suspect that you may have just been running into a glitch with the card. Once the cards firmware and drivers mature a bit, I'm sure they will overclock a little better and hopefully get rid of these types of issues you were having!

Archived