Corsair Community

Ftdisk.sys corrupted on install winxp

Scrubs

Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me out...

I'll be honest I'm not really sure if the RAM is the issue...if it is it may just be because the new motherboard I have does not support it, but it should. I had the RAM in my other system and it worked fine for a year.

I bought a new motherboard, K9A2VM-F V2 and a new sata harddrive. Everything booted fine and i've loaded all the optimized defaults in bios. The first time I tried to format and install winxp I received an error during the initial driver installation, so I tried it again and got another error with a file. Third time I tried it...it magically worked and let me continue on to format my new harddrive and partition but when it got to copying more files from the cd it would give me errors reading specific files and prompt me to either put in winxp cd and retry or to hit esc. to skip the file. Luckily I had 2 copies of winxp so I actually had to alternate between each cd around 20x...it would give me that message like every other file and I would have to alternate cd's hit enter and it would get the file. There were a few files I had to skip because even switching out cd's didn't work. During a normal boot I get the blue screen of death that says can not find winsrv and it recommends me to reinstall winxp.

When I go back to bootup with winxp and during the initial installation of drivers it gives me ftdisk.sys corrupted. The only logical explanation is that it's either my cdrom drive because it had issues copying all those files to begin with, my new SATA harddrive, or the RAM.

I am going to try installing my old floppy disk drive and booting via the 6 floppy disk process to atleast reformat my bad install of winxp, then try a different cd rom drive...if either of those work the only thing I can think to do is try different memory or return the new harddrive. Could it be the harddrive? Its brand new...

Hello,

how about trying a live edition of xp from like Barts or Hirens or WINPE that boots XP from a CD? at least if you dont bluescreen out its usually not hardware.

they are both free downloads IIRC.

what you can also do to test the ram is make sure the settings in the BIOS for timings and voltage match the RAMs label and test the sticks 1 at a time with memtest86 which you can create a bootable cd or flash drive to run it on.

let memtest run a few passes per stick and that should show right off if you may have a RAM issue. http://www.memtest.org/ scroll down halfway to find the available downloads.

good luck!

• Corsair Employees

But I would use http://www.memtest.org and test the mosules oen at a time at their tested settings to be sure one is not failing and if they all pass this would apply!

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test

Archived