Corsair Community

PC shutting down during heavy 3D games

robert3892

Ever since I installed my EVGA GTX 285 my PC will occasionally shutdown in the middle of a 3D game, such as Crysis or Crysis Warhead. When it shuts down I can not restart the PC unless I open up the side cover and reseat some cables (usually the chassis fan cables which are molex). Then it restarts and works fine. When it decides not to restart some fans and items are running but the optional Antec side fan, CPU fan, do not work. If I monitor the voltages with Everest after a fresh restart the 12 volt line is nice and stable at 11.93 volts. After I run a 3D game like Crysis or Crysis warhead the 12 volt voltages according to Everest begin to deviate. The 12 volt line is jumping around from 11.77 around to 11.23 volts. I'd like to know if this is what is causing the PC to shutdown in 3D apps. In 2D apps all is well. I tried swapping the PCI-E cables as well since the TX750 has four. Still have the problem. Any ideas. Best regards, Robert--The Netherlands

• Corsair Employees
Software voltage readings can be off quite a bit, but 11.23v would be out of spec, if that is the actual reading. What type of video card did you have in the system before and did you have any issues with it? Are you able to test the video card in a different system?

I'm posting here cause I have the same issue, although in my case the PC just powers off, and has no trouble restarting.

I just installed a new 260 GTX, and now while gaming the PC will suddenly power off after like 5 minutes. I have a 520HX, about a year old, never had this problem before with an 8800GTS (G90).

I tried underclocking the 260 and my CPU, but doesn't seem to matter.

Does it sound like my PSU or the GPU are faulty, or is the 520HX not powerful enough?

• Corsair Employees
I'm posting here cause I have the same issue, although in my case the PC just powers off, and has no trouble restarting.

I just installed a new 260 GTX, and now while gaming the PC will suddenly power off after like 5 minutes. I have a 520HX, about a year old, never had this problem before with an 8800GTS (G90).

I tried underclocking the 260 and my CPU, but doesn't seem to matter.

Does it sound like my PSU or the GPU are faulty, or is the 520HX not powerful enough?

I would suspect that the HX520 would give you plenty of power for a single GTX260. You may want to try both the drivers listed by EVGA, as well as the ones listed on Nvidia's website to see if there is any difference. You may also want to test the card in a different system to see if the problems stick with the card.

Archived