Corsair Community

settings and voltage please help

helpneededpleas

Hello corsair support forum.

My question is: at which voltage should i set TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX with my cpu running at fsb 1600 voltage 1.325 in bios ( everest says 1.34 volt) and 9.5 multiplier and i have my ram UNLINKED at 7-7-7-20 and TRC at 36 ( default is 40), 2t 1.84 volt. Northbridge 1.44 volt. Southbridge at AUTO. My bios is 1104 straight out of the box ( i bought motherboard 1 week ago ).

The problem is : in bios when i set memory voltage to 1.84 in EVEREST ULTIMATE it shows dimm 1.90-1.92 volt and DIMM VTT 0.94-0.96 volt. so my question is: is it normal? and if yes, which settings in bios would you recommand for memory timings and voltage, because the big difference in voltage makes me a bit confused and worried about my system. And i also have bought the corsair memory fan for better cooling. So any help would be very appreciated, because ram works nice , but i want it work even nicer and without risk of overvolting/undervoltiong. Ramguy and others, please help me. Because i am a bit worried about that big differance in voltage. Thanks in advance. :sunglasse

Thank you for fast reply,i not know how i change my username but im a bit scary to overvolt too much, the ram was pricey. could some1 give me right bios voltages please for striker II extreme bios 1104? because im a bit scary to set my ram to 1.90 volt while everest then says 1.98 volt:sigh!:. and what about northbridge voltage ? Did i set it good? help is appreciated , because i think my ram runs ok at 1.84 volt in bios but isn't it too low ? thanks in advance.

Thank you for fast reply,i not know how i change my username but im a bit scary to overvolt too much, the ram was pricey. could some1 give me right bios voltages please for striker II extreme bios 1104? because im a bit scary to set my ram to 1.90 volt while everest then says 1.98 volt:sigh!:. and what about northbridge voltage ? Did i set it good? help is appreciated , because i think my ram runs ok at 1.84 volt in bios but isn't it too low ? thanks in advance.

Set to 1.84v. You are correct. That board overvolts the DRAM so by setting the DRAM voltage lower in the BIOS you are getting the correct volts to the DIMMS. NB at 1.40 if you are not overclocking you should be fine if you are stable.

Yes, i also checked hardware monitor in bios and at 1.84 volt it shows 1.90-1.92 volts at the ram so bord overvolts it a lot i think. i tried at 1.88 volt too northbridge 1.46 volt trc 32 but then hardware monitor said voltage was 1.97 volt!!! So now my question is: is it okey to set ram 7-7-7-20 2t trc 34 (default is 40) but should i set it 38, 36, 34, or 32 for better performance and best stability or leave it at default? also i noticed if i set ram linked and sync mode with cpu games stutter alot more ( i test with need for speed most wanted and need for speed undercover games , its good memory /cpu test) northbridge 1.44 volt should be okey ? ( i have dual graphic cards 280 gtx in sli and 3 harddrives)So now i decided to set it like this::!::!:

TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX 7-7-7-20 2T UNLINKED 1600 mhz CPU is quad core qx9770 3.2 ghz i set: 1600 mhz fsb multiplier 9.5, voltage 1.325volt ( everest and cpuz says its 1.34 volt so board overvolts cpu too a little) cpu runs at 3.80 ghz then i checked temperatures is okey with prime 95 so thats no problem i think? ( it stays at 65-70 degrees) isnt it too hot?

Memory voltage i set 1.84 volt maybe i should do 1.82 or 1.84 or 1.86....?

I really need good advise on this 1 ( at 1.84 volt it says 1.90-1.92 volt in hardwaremonitor dimm vtt is 0.94 volt there)

northbridge 1.44 should i maybe do 1.42, 1.44 or 1.46 volt? i go for 1.44 but maybe 1.46 is better or maybe even 1.42?

And ram timing trc is set 1.34 by me : (if i set auto it is 1.40 is ) Is it very important? What would you recommand for me on this 1 , help is very appreciated. should i set it 1.34 1.36 1.38 or 1.40?:!:

Please help me , because im going to build another pc with same motherboard and ram also so i spended many money on the nice ram and boards so i want to have them work together really good. ( by the way: ill run a memtest this night, so i see that memory has errors maybe but i doubt it has any...) :!:

:!::!:please, im still worried i been testing different settings all day:!: and memtest ran 9 hours stable. i have now memory 7-7-7-20 2t the other settings ive left on auto because they didnt give big performance increase ( i think) . memory voltage 0.84 volt , and northbridge 1.44 volt. cpu 1.3250 volt SOUTHBRIDGE ON AUTO. IS 1.44 VOLT NORTHBRIDGE SAFE VOLTAGE?And does it make big diffwerence to run memory unlinked instead of linked ( with linked i noticed more stuttering in :idea:need for speed most wanted game:idea: . I hope that some1 can help me, because im very happy with the ram but i want to make this system the most stable ever.:!::!:please some1 post something. i have been waiting all day long.

• Corsair Employees
okey, thanks i just only wanted to know northbridge voltage and memory voltage thats all. can some1 pleas tell? please.:!:

The only voltage that we test and validate is the memory voltage.

See here, 1.8v although if necessary, you can use up to 2.0v: http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TW3X4G1600C9DHX.pdf

If you are concerned about your voltages being accurate, I suggest that you obtain a volt meter and manually measure the voltage instead of relying on the system monitors as a volt meter is far more accurate.

DerekT posted:

Set to 1.84v. You are correct. That board overvolts the DRAM so by setting the DRAM voltage lower in the BIOS you are getting the correct volts to the DIMMS. NB at 1.40 if you are not overclocking you should be fine if you are stable.

DerekT is very experienced with a variety of boards and is usually very accurate with his voltage suggestions on motherboards. However, if you are not comfortable using the stock settings or any settings recommended here, I suggest you contact ASUS technical support.

aah, thank you a lot ramguy and others. Yes, i believe all what you say, only in games i have some small stuttering. thats why i was worried about voltage. but now i just have memeory 1.84 like you say and nb 1.44 volt. and no i cant afford a multimeterP. but my last question ( sorry) is: does it make any difrence if i run ram linked or unlinked? what is mor3e stable? i mean my cpu is 1600 mhz and the ram is 1600 mhz also. should i set it to linked and sync mode or let it be unlinked. Also whats better overvolting the ram or undervolting it ( no i still cant afford a multimeterP ) And what about that microstutter in games, is it memory related? or it just normal because games must load? thats a lot u were of great help ramguy and others. but its just games like need for speed run smooth and framerate is ok but once in a while the screen stutters while the framerate stays 60. could this be a memory/motherboard issue? or its normal ? thank you all again for help.:!::idea:

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Run Memtest for two full passes.

Results?

Also, you might do well to check with your Nvidia board forum with regards to stuttering because many have this issue in SLi.

Most of the manufacturers do not even care about supporting the community with new BIOSes for old products, and the bogus nFORCE 790i boards are their Achille's heel.

I haven't received any BIOS update for the Striker II Extreme in ages...

As a gamer I would avoid SLI/CrossFire.

Several issues, minimal to none benefits.

A P45/X38/X48 board with a single fast graphics card is way better than the nFORCE headache and SLI/CrossFire Micro-Stuttering amazingly cr*ppy gaming experience.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190691&page=14

:!:yes, thank you, but in post earlier i said i ran memetest 2.11 for 9 hours no errors and its the stuttering not only with sli and 790 chipset, also i have latest bios update. because i also had striker extreme I and 1 videocard and games still stutterd. but what about voltaGE, Is it safer to overvolt or undervolt? and is asus latest motherboard for the i7 core a safe purchase? thank you again, and no its different microstuttering then what other people say. its like game pauses for 1/10s second and then goes on and it not in all games, also it happens without sli even more then with sli! and link to other forum no good. people complain too much if others mean microstuttering they mewan big stutter, i mean short periodic stutter in some games, with or without sli. thank you again for fast responces. :idea:

AND GUYS PLEASE READ MORE CAREFUL I HAVE THE C6 VERSION OF RAM !!!!!!! NOT THE C9!!!!!!!!

ITS BIG DIFFERENCVE!!!!!!

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX.pdf

not http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TW3X4G1600C9DHX.pdf!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: i tested at jedec default settings 9-9-9-24 in bios 1.80 volt and microstutter was still there in saame games. i guess its just the games, because i read a lot about need for speed undercover bad stutter and i also remember most wanted did also stutter on my last pc i owned ( by stutter i mean game running at 60 frames but it sometimes stutters so it looks like something is failing or loading slowly) so i guess its just the fault of the gamedesigners. Also my experience with corsair is good. you have nice customer support and the memery you sell is high quality. so ill just have to accept that modern pcs are not 100% perfect,P?! even far from itP.P so ill just leave it on 1.84 volt UNLINKED northbrifdge 1.44 volt ( i ocd cpu from 3.2 ghz to 3.6 ghz also 2 videocards and many harddrives). thanks again for support. if you have any tips for cpu configurations please tell me. also maybe because i run 32 bit windows ram works worse?P Id like to get 1 more answer;). for the rest thank you for helping me out ramguy, and the others, very nice support. I think i cant get much better system then i have now.... i guessP because to be honest i never had a pc i was satified withP. but i give a 9 out of 10 for corsair ram. I only recommend to be more clear about timing and also ship your products with a user manual, because for most people setting timings and voltasges manually is hard work and they make mistakes. for the rest im happy with your ram.

AND GUYS PLEASE READ MORE CAREFUL I HAVE THE C6 VERSION OF RAM !!!!!!! NOT THE C9!!!!!!!!

ITS BIG DIFFERENCVE!!!!!!

You have C7, not C6. Please do not use caps. Also, if you can post just what matters without all the extra it will be easier to help you. Caps at the beginning of sentences as well please. You make it hard to read your composition.

If you need help with something else. Please just post a sentence or two asking for that specific help and do not insert the question in the middle of a long run on paragraph. It is very hard to determine what you want.

Yes, indeed its c7 ram which i have. i made mistake in my last post , yes.i have the 4 gb kit running in the blue slots of my motherboard in dual channel

:!:My fsb cpu is 1600 (default) . my ram is 1600 (default) mhz.

Im running the ram unlinked at this moment but my question is : What is better for reducing microstutter : running the ram linked and synched or unlinked ?

:!:And also is cpu vtt voltage important when i overclock the cpu? ( i mean for stability and to reduce micro stuttering) Because i set my vcore at 3.125 volt qx 9770 3.2 ghz oc 3.6 ghz ( prime 95 tested for 3 hours all was stable) what vtt voltage would you recommend?

Thank you again.

Yes, indeed its c7 ram which i have. i made mistake in my last post , yes.i have the 4 gb kit running in the blue slots of my motherboard in dual channel

:!:My fsb cpu is 1600 (default) . my ram is 1600 (default) mhz.

Im running the ram unlinked at this moment but my question is : What is better for reducing microstutter : running the ram linked and synched or unlinked ?

There's no cut and dried answer. For some it is better linked and for some it is better unlinked. If you can link, then you should find a faster throughput but some people can not find stability linked, so they unlink and some people want to overclock asynchronously and for them unlinking is better. Test for yourself. You have the stutter. See what works, if it works. Document changes that you make and make singular changes to see if you can reduce the stutter. I have built more than a few machines for those who demanded SLi despite my objections and they have found that stutter you speak of in certain games such as FarCry, WoW, etc. They found that when they removed the SLi, the stutter went away. Also, if they removed the extreme detail, the stutter went away. The stutter happened even though FPS was stable.

:!:And also is cpu vtt voltage important when i overclock the cpu? ( i mean for stability and to reduce micro stuttering) Because i set my vcore at 3.125 volt qx 9770 3.2 ghz oc 3.6 ghz ( prime 95 tested for 3 hours all was stable) what vtt voltage would you recommend?

I would not set higher than 1.35v VTT and yes, VTT is important when overclocking a Quad Core. I believe that the stutter has to do with SLi and the video translation and NOT the overclock so I don't believe you will find any joy in the BIOS. VTT is necessary for the Quad Core overclock as it helps stabilize the FSB Data Stream interconnect between the dual cores. I can't recommend the amount for you to use.

These are the values I follow for the 790i and a 45nm Quad Core CPU. Keep in mind I seldom use the maximum values. I have never set higher than 1.32v for CPU VTT.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/safe.jpg

Because i set my vcore at 3.125 volt qx 9770 3.2 ghz oc 3.6 ghz ( prime 95 tested for 3 hours all was stable)

I doubt you have set your Vcore to 3.125v.

Yes, awasome, support;)> true, my mistake my cpu vcore voltage is 1,31250 volt and not 3,..... volt , yes, sorry, my mistake,of corse its no 3 volt but it is 1 volt and now i set cpu vtt voltage at 1.20 volt. are there maybe some more recommendations for cpu pll voltage? and yes, thank you A LOT your support team understands me brilliantly.

And yes, in world of warcraft it stutters too, true. it stutters A LOT there with sli enabled or sli disabled

World of warcraft seems not to use sli so i always set sli off for that game but still stutters are very annoying jumping from 60 frames to 35 frames or to 50 or 58 frames and then back to 60 and then again it stutters when you set detail very high and move around with mouse fast. it gets very annoying , so annoying that i even consider playing games on my psp or not play games at all!!!!!!! can some1 explain why it is so in world of warcraft? because its very unpleasent to have that microstutter all the time with the system that i have. i hope you guys understand me. because i put so many time into making this board/system the most stable for every1 so that there should be no microstutter.

There's nothing I have ever found to fix this issue. It is for certain GPU/SLi related because I have personally found that when I remove the second GPU, remove all graphics drivers, enter safe mode, use driver cleaner to clean the rest of the graphics drivers left over from the uninstall, and install new drivers, the stutter is gone.

Just google Sli and Game Stutter:

http://www.google.ca/search?sa=N&tab=nw&q=SLi%20game%20stutter

One hundred and fifty six thousand hits. Clearly this issue is across hardware platforms and have one thing in common, Nvidia cards and SLi technology.

You can continue to tweak BIOS but as I said, it does not seem to make any difference and I have tried everything I could think of on systems I have built. This is one main reason why I advise against Nvidia chipsets and Sli technology.

So, at any rate, I can't help you and will now bow out of this thread.

Sure thing. I wish I had better news. It's never nice to not have an answer but this one has stumped far better than I.

yes, i agree with you. i believe you. i also think its nvidias fault now. so ill stop tweaking my pc. yestriker II extreme is a bad motherboard so thanks for all help but i believe you, the striker boards just were all bad boards. now i understand. thank you again.

Archived