Corsair Community

1GB DDR XMS4000 Pro TwinX + Abit KV8-MAX3

Finley

Please forgive me but I am something of a novice when in comes to PC related items. I am currently in the process of building a new system based on the following – · AMD Athlon 64 3400 · Abit KV8-MAX3 (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-042-AB) · Corsair 1GB DDR XMS4000 Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS3 (MY-024-CS) RAM · Leadtek Winfast A380TDH GeForce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB DDR MyVIVO (GX-020-LT) graphics card · Antec TruePower 550W PSU (CA-002-AN) I built the system yesterday but have experienced many frustrating hours trying to get it to work. When I turn on the power the system goes through the normal P.O.S.T. routine but turns itself off before completion. There is no warning “bleep” given. I have checked the other system components in my old system and they appear to be working correctly, however, I am unable to test the memory as it is not supported. Is there a problem with the compatibility of this memory with the rest of the system? I read elsewhere about installing in slots 1 & 3, I tried this and also installing only one module but there was no change. I have also read about changing voltages but I assume that I need to get into the BIOS to undertake this but I can’t get that far! Any help and advice would be appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
I would try and reset the MB bios with the clear bios jumper and then see if it will let you get into the BIOS, if you continue to have problems. If you have other memory that you can use; and then update the MB bios that may help as well! However, these modules would be suggested for Intel platform as the AMD CPU may not over clock much over 210 MHz. Perhaps a better module would be Twinx1024-3200LL and use slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. With the system just shutting off that might suggest the CPU temp is to high or maybe the bios version is not new enough for the CPU you have!

Many thanks for the advice, unfortunately I still can’t get the thing to POST!. I’ve tried it with the board out of the case and PS, Graphics card and memory only. CPU has been out and back 3 times. I have reset bios via the jumper, single memory in different slots and even no memory at all but all without any change. The supplier has offered to exchange the board as he feels this is the problem but I remain to be convinced. I think I will try a completely different board make next but can’t find one that quotes the memory as being supported and I doubt I can exchange it. Any recommendations for a supported Mobo?

Archived