Corsair Community

Asus P5Q Pro with TWIN2X4096-8500C5, spontaneous reboots

Angura

Hi,

as the title says I'm having trouble with spontaneous reboots. They seem to occur randomly, sometimes during startup, in the BIOS or even after many minutes doing something in Vista.

I don't know exactly when the problemes began, but in the beginning everything seemed to be fine. The system ran stable for a long time (long enough to install Vista etc.).

I've checked pretty much everything I could think of. The system temperatures are allright and I get no error messages in any way. Only the battery of the mainboard seems to be low, since it keeps saying "CMOS Time/Date not set" when the PC starts after having been without power supply for a while. But I don't think, that this can cause these problems, or does it?

The crazy thing is, that sometimes it really works fine and when I start the PC later without having touched or changed anything, the problem reappear. For example the Asus support suggested testing the system stability with only 1 RAM and it stayed stable. Afterwards it even worked fine with 2 RAMs installed, but when I started the PC again later this day, it all started again.

Maybe it's not even the RAM that's the problem, but after trying everything I could think of, I thought maybe you guys could help me.

By the way, I'm writing this message on the "problem-pc" after having adjusted the DRAM voltage from the AUTO-value 1.8V to 2.1V and it hasn't rebooted yet. But I've experienced it too many times, that it suddenly seemed to run fine and then it all crashed again later.

I really hope somebody has a hint for me or can tell me something else than the RAM that could be causing these problems.

Thanks in advance!

mfg Angura

Hi DerekT,

thank you for your fast reply!

I'll get a new mainboard battery as soon as possible.

But shouldn't the board automatically find the correct DRAM-voltages? Or can it be, that it only recognizes the correct value sometimes, which would explain, why it just works sometimes?

Anyway, i'll keep an eye on that and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help so far. :)

Damn, it just happened again.

Are there any other settings besides 5-5-5-15 and 2.1V DRAM-voltage that I should adjust, because the board maybe doesn't set them correctly?

Otherwise I really don't know what to do anymore.

No, the boards do not automatically find the correct values when you purchase DRAM that is higher speed than the standard JEDEC. If you bought 6400C5 1.8v DRAM, then auto values would set. Anything higher than that value will need manual settings and if not set correctly could cause a system to be unstable and/or not boot up. Usually that is with boards far older than yours though.

You might well have more issues with the mainboard. You should NOT be having battery problems for years. I would look to RMA of the mainboard personally. The board should default to the Jedec and boot at the 800Mhz with 1.8v anyway and doesn't seem to be doing that.

Hi DerekT,

thank you for your fast reply!

I'll get a new mainboard battery as soon as possible.

But shouldn't the board automatically find the correct DRAM-voltages? Or can it be, that it only recognizes the correct value sometimes, which would explain, why it just works sometimes?

Anyway, i'll keep an eye on that and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help so far. :)

I'm in contact with the Asus support about this issue, maybe they have suggestion. But it already runs a lot more stable with the manually adjusted values.

Just a small question in between:

On the corsair page it says about my RAM:

5-5-5-15-2T

What does the last 2T stand for? I can't see a possibility to adjust that.

Thanks.

This is the command rate. If you can't adjust it then it is set to 2T automatically.

I'm in contact with the Asus support about this issue, maybe they have suggestion. But it already runs a lot more stable with the manually adjusted values.

Just a small question in between:

On the corsair page it says about my RAM:

5-5-5-15-2T

What does the last 2T stand for? I can't see a possibility to adjust that.

Thanks.

I'm still waiting for an answer from Asus support, but I'm seriously considering to switch to a different board since that seems to be the main problem here.

Can you recommend a good board, that has been tested with that specific RAM?

On the corsair page I only find that search the other way around (what RAM fits to a certain board).

Thank you for the link, wired.

Although it takes about 2hrs now before the system suddenly reboots, I've decided to get the Gigabyte EP45-DS3L tomorrow. Is that a good choice or are there known issues in combination with my RAM? The search function brought up problems with Dominator, so is there a certain danger there will be problems with my RAM? (I fear that's always the case^^)

In the meantime I'll try to get memtest86+ to complete a few passes. Last time I tried that, it rebooted before getting through 1 pass, but as it seems to run more stable now, maybe i can use it to make sure, that the RAM is fine before buying a new mainboard.

I hope for the best. Thanks for your friendly advise up to now. :biggrin:

Edit:

A small additional question: newer BIOS versions for my board are available and one has as comment "Enhanced Memory Compatibility". Unfortunately there is no detailed information about this. And a BIOS update with the risk of sudden reboots is pretty dangerous, isn't it?

Ok, after about one hour of using the PC it just went off again, but this time it didn't restart. As a matter of fact, I can't start it at all anymore. There is no reaction at all when I press the Power Button. :mad:

Do you think the mainboard is now completely gone or could the power supply itself be the problem? How could I check that?

Edit: I just tried to start my old system (different mainboard, cpu und ram, no other hardware) and it doesn't start there either. The fans just move slowly for a second and that's it. I'll drive to the store and try my luck with a new PSU.

With a new PSU the system is running smoothly now. No more problems in the last 3 days. :D: I hope that no new errors appear and it continues to work fine.

Thanks again for your friendly support on this issue, although it wasn't even the RAMs fault ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi there again,

sorry for reviving this old thread, but unfortunately the problem hasn't completely vanished. Although I doubt that it's the RAM's fault I decided to ask you guys again, because you've been by far the best help up to now.

The problem:

After switching the PSU the problem didn't appear neither in "everyday use" nor in longer numerical computer simulations that I carried out on that PC.

The only times that the PC spontaneously shut down happened when I played PC games like GTA4,Fallout 3 or as a new example Battleforge. Strangely enough, although the system shut down frequently during these games, the shutdowns *never* happened while playing World of Warcraft over pretty long time intervalls.

So I used the sisoft sandra benchmarks to stress certain PC components to reproduce the shutdowns. That eventually happened during tests involving the CPU cache. Is it therefore possible that the CPU is defect and these games try to address areas that aren't working properly? Or could it still be the mainboard (which after placing a new battery now correctly stores the bios settings)? And although the RAM passed all tests i made, a few days ago I received BSODs short after startup with some memory issues that vanished after I changed the RAM-settings back to standard-values.

And after all, isn't there still the possibility that the PSU (same model like the old one) is the problem?

By now, I'm pretty clueless and I don't want to spend a lot of money to replace parts that might not even be defect. Not to mention the frustration of having a game-pc on which I can't play games. :(: Do you have any suggestions on how to find out, what is the source of these troubles?

Thanks in advance.

Download CPU-z from

Download Memtest86+ Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Download Realtemp from Here

Download LinX from-->

Perform a hard reset to clear any BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Install the DRAM into the yellow slots
  3. Remove the power cord
  4. Remove the CMOS Battery
  5. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  6. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  7. Let sit for 10 minutes
  8. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  9. Insert the CMOS Battery
  10. Insert the Power Cord
  11. Restart the system
  12. Enter the BIOS
  13. Load Default Settings
  14. Save Default Settings and Exit
  15. Restart the System and enter the BIOS

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Set one stick in slot 2 (Closest to the CPU) and one stick in slot 4 (Yellow Slots) enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

AI Overclock Tweaker

[b]Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 8.5
FSB Frequency = 333
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-1066
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  5
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
RAS# PRE Time = 5
RAS# ACT Time = 15
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 
Command Rate = 2T (2N)
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
DRAM Read Training = Auto
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Disabled
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = 1.20v
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled

Run Memtest for two full passes. Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values for Residual <norm>. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test.

If stable, Enter Windows, run CPU-z and post screenshots of the CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Archived