Corsair Community

Questions about my new TWIN2X4096-8500C5

Chomp

Hi all,

I just installed my new Corsair Dual Channel XMS2 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB) dimms and I have some questions.

1) I installed the two dimms in channels A1 and A2 but the memory still runs in single channel mode. How do I get it to run in dual channel mode?

2) The memory runs at 800MHz instead of the listed 1066MHz. I have the SLI Memory option in my Bios set to disabled and from what I understand enabling it and setting it to expert mode will run the memory at 1066MHz - Is there anything I should know before I mess with that setting?

Thanks

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Put the DRAM in the blue slots. The dual channel mode is a function of the onboard memory controller and not the memory. If you insert the modules in the blue slots and you do not gain dual channel mode, then either the memory controller is wonky or the DRAM is not SPD set as a kit.

Restart and enter your BIOS.

Set to these values:

AI Tuning = Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex = Disabled
LinkBoost = Disabled

Extreme Tweaker Screen

FSB & Memory Config[/b][indent]FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
FSB (QDR), MHz = 333 (1333)
MEM (DDR), MHz = 533 (1066)

CPU Configuration
CPU Multi = 9
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disabled 
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Enhance Intel Speedstep Tech = Disabled

Chipset

Memory Timing Setting
tCL = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
Command Per Clock = 2 clocks

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60  
Async Latency = Auto

Voltages
Vcore  = Auto
Vdimm (DRAM Voltage)  = 2.1v
1.2v HT = 1.2v
NB Vcore = 1.45v
SB Vcore = 1.55v
CPU VTT = 1.35v

Shut the system down. Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If stable, enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Post both SPD modules from the drop down list in the SPD section.

Results?

Nvidia chipset DRAM SLi for a term in DRAM is a set of values inserted in the DRAM ROM. They give speeds, timings and voltages that are greater than the JEDEC standard and which (when working correctly, and which is not often the case) the BIOS, when set to read, will read and set to these values in an attempt to plug and play extended frequencies, timings and voltages of the DRAM.

Ah, the blue slots worked like a charm.

What exactly is the SLI Memory setting in my Bios? The manual doesn't give a good explanation.

OK, just curious.

The new mem runs at 800 out of the box but if I enable SLI Memory it runs at the listed 1066.

Since you are saying that using sli mem uses setting beyond the JEDEC standard is there any danger of damage? I'm not using the optional fan kit (doesn't fit my MBoard).

And why do I need to use the sli mem option to achieve 1066 which what the mem is rated for?

Thanks.

No damage. That is high end DRAM and was created with that speed in mind. It is warranted for life by Corsair. Warranted for 1066Mhz and 2.1v.

You don't need to enable SLi, SLi just makes the settings automatic. If you don't enable SLi then you have to manually set the values in the BIOS. Many DRAM modules do not have SLi settings installed into the DRAM ROM and they must be set manually.

OK, just curious.

The new mem runs at 800 out of the box but if I enable SLI Memory it runs at the listed 1066.

Since you are saying that using sli mem uses setting beyond the JEDEC standard is there any danger of damage? I'm not using the optional fan kit (doesn't fit my MBoard).

And why do I need to use the sli mem option to achieve 1066 which what the mem is rated for?

Thanks.

Archived