Corsair Community

Compatibility with Intel S875WP1 entry server board

JohnWilliamson

Corsair's guide offers CM64SD512-3200 for compatibilty with this entry-level Intel server board. The board supports unbuffered memory of either ECC or non-ECC flavors. I cannot find anything from Intel's site whether the board supports Registered memory. For individual PC's, we have used TwinX memory to optimal stability, though we are not OC'ing anything. We will use a Pentium 4 2.8E, dual channel memory access (two 512 DIMMs). So the questions: - Can you recommend a TwinX version of this memory? - Is Registered memory compatible with this board? If so, which part#? - Is there an ECC version of this memory that is compatible? If so, which part#? Many thanks, John

OK. So then does it make sense to use the twinx1024-3200-LL to achieve optimum latencies? And, why does your advice differ from the Corsair recommended memory found under Intel Server Motherboards ([url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/guides/IntelServer-Jul2003.pdf[/url]) as follows: S875WPI-E “Winter Park” Pentium 4 Intel 875P 4 GByte ..512 MByte...2x CM64SD256A-3200 ..1 GByte.......2x CM64SD512-3200 ..2 GByte.......4x CM64SD512-3200 I have concluded that Registered memory is a non-issue (Intel doesn't call for it), and ECC is of limited utility since our server will be a development environment and won't really be considered mission critical. As I see it, TWINX provides the added assurance of pre-tested, matched pairs for dual channel memory access. Is the info on the product guide from July 2003 perhaps out of date? Thanks again. John

• Corsair Employees
If you are planning on running 4 modules and with an Intel MB I would not suggest Low latency. The Intel version of this MB does not provide all of the options need to run with over clocked memory. In addition, if you need to run with 2 gig of memory I would suggest Twinx2048-3200 as there would be less loading on the chipset and will run well. If you have a reseller that will special order for you, and you want ECC we do have an un-buffered ECC module. However most resellers do not carry it as they are more expensive. Part# CM72SD512-3200 and CM72SD1024-3200 both would be un-buffered with ECC.

• Corsair Employees
Well, not exactly! I would not suggest Low latency memory with Intel branded MB's in general. That's not to say they will not work as I have them running in my lab with out problems. Just the JEDEC defined spec for DDR400 calls for Cass 3-3-3-8 or Cass 3-4-4-8. So running any module at DDR400 with a faster timings than Cass 3; would be technically over clocking. In order to properly support these types of modules I would suggest that you use a MB more suited for this application. IE: ABIT or ASUS would be a good choice. Please do not take that the wrong way, Intel makes a great MB. Just they would not really be considered for an enthusiast level module. I would use memory that would meet their requirements; IE one that’s close to JEDEC spec. Twinx1024-3200 or Twinx2048-3200 either one would have JEDEC defined values and would run great in this MB.

Archived