Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D and p5kc new problem

diegob

Hello everyone,

I've recently posted on this forum about some problems about running my ddr2 dimm at 1066 mhz, (I've always reached 800 at max). Once found out that my RAM were at diferent voltages (thanks again DerekT) I've managed to mount a couple of 2.2v DIMM and bought a new PSU as well (cooler master M700), in order to upgrade my old one.

As soon as I've put in the new psu, my pc failed the VGA post, my monitor remained hoplessy blank (standby mode) but windows seemed to boot up anyway; I could hear logon sound and everithing but no video signal. With the old one, however, the VGA posts correctly.

I tried (with the old psu mounted back) to adjust my bios settings in order to run my ram at 1066, as seen in some posts here and there, and put back the new PSU. It worked! The monitor lights up and all runs fine. That was until I shut down the PC; when I boot up after more than 5 minutes of inactivity, I get again my monitor in standby mode all the time. If I put back the old psu, I access bios and change my ram frequency back to 800, save and change again back to 1066, I can boot up with the VGA signal and the new psu.

I'm aware that's a weird thing, my bad english doesn't help either, I hope to have explained myself clearly..

Can anyone post the right bios settings to run at 1066 my dominator ??

Diego

If you want to overclock, it is time for you now to learn how and work on it yourself. If I give you numbers then you will just be coming back to ask again and again and learning nothing.

Set your DRAM low and raise the fsb incrementally. Testing with both Memtest and Prime95.

This is a site that will help you.

http://www.overclock.net

what OC settings should I work on?

Voltages? Should I set Dram frequency to 1000 ?

Can you post me the official Bios settings for my MB? So I can work on an official base configuration?

thanks

Diego

• 2 weeks later...

I think I narrowed down what the real problem seems to be.

After many hours, I think that the VGA post problem depends from some kind of incompatibility of motherboard/ram/psu.

The VGA problem appears to happen when my RAM corsair dominator 1066 runs at 800mhz, since I can't see the video messages when booting with the new psu, I suspect I get an overclocking error message; when I tweak the bios (with the old psu) I can manage to run my RAM from 800mhz to 1066mhz, changing SKEW support and transaction booster, disabling both, saving and reenabling when I boot up vista with the RAM at 1066, I shut down the PC, mount the new PSU and all runs fine every time!

When I cold boot up again (after 15 minutes from shutdown) my ram still get an overclocking failure error and I have to remount the old psu and go through that all over.

I don't pretend to overclock my pc as far as now, I only need to run my ram at the correct frequency, I bought this module because it were in the QVL on my mb, the fact that I'm having so many problems leaves me astonished.

Can anyone there post the official BIOS settings in order to run stable my ram at 1066?

Diego

It sounds as though you have a motherboard memory controller problem. Many of those boards have issues with high end DRAM speed and many are returned. Hopefully you determine this and RMA the board before the date of RMA is over. Here's the settings, but I don't think that they will be all that useful. Skewing at stock speeds to attain stock CPU and DRAM speeds is an indication of board issues in and of itself.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

Download CPU-z from
JumperFree Configuration Settings

Ai Overclocking = Manual
CPU Ratio = Manual
Ratio CMOS Setting = 8
FSB Frequency = 333
PCI-E Frequency = 100
DRAM Frequency = DDR2-1066
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS = 5
RAS# to CAS# = 5
RAS to Precharge = 5
RAS Active Time = 15
TWR= Auto
TRFC = 55
TWTR = Auto
TRRD = Auto
TRTP = Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Auto
Transaction Booster = Disabled
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU Voltage Reference = Auto
CPU Voltage Damper = Enabled
DRAM Voltage = 2.1V
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
North Bridge Voltage = 1.40v

USB Legacy Mode = Disabled for Memtest, Enabled after Memtest

For Testing:

Set to the values given. Insert a single stick in the first slot (Closest to the CPU) and test with a boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. If passed, then remove that stick and insert it in the second slot, retest. Remove and insert into the third slot and finally the fourth slot. You have now tested one stick and four slots in single channel mode.

Remove the stick and put it aside. Insert the second stick in the first slot. Retest. Now insert one tested and passed stick in Slot 1 and one tested and passed stick in slot 3. Retest.

Results?

Archived