Corsair Community

RAM Voltage and speed settings

Tony Norton

Hi,

following a previous post I was advised that, when increasing my 4GB of Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 to 8GB with another 2 matching modules (Yes, I am aware that it would have been better to buy a quad set, but have you seen the price!) I may need to increase the voltage, which is currently the motherboard default of 1.8V, slightly and possibly drop the speed from 800MHz to 667MHz.

Problem is, how do I do this? I can find nothing in the very latest Award BIOS for my mobo (9GA-MA69VM-S2_f9 updated yesterday) that enables me to change either voltage or frequency, and there is no mention of it in the User's Manual.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tony Norton

With Gigabyte boards you usually have to press <Ctrl + F1> to view those controls.

That's during POST I presume? Cancel that, I found it, press <Ctrl + F1> when the CMOS Setup screen is displayed, but although I found the RAM speed setting option easily enough I still can't find any voltage changing option??

Thanks,

Tony Norton

Thanks to all who proffered advice on this subject. :biggrin:

I just bit the bullet and purchased another matched pair of 2GB RAM modules, Corsair XMS2, Pt.No.CM2X2048-6400C5, exactly the same as already fitted. Left the speed setting at 800MHz, and obviously the voltage at 1.8V as I had no control over this, and plugged in the new modules.

When the smoke cleared, no - strike that, no problems, all seems to be working 100%, all 8GB of memory is shown as being present and the PC flies. Haven't yet tested it with memtest but am confident that, being Corsair, it ain't gonna let me down.

I think we can now close this thread.

Thanks again to all, especially Derek T, who answered both this and my earlier post.

Tony N

Your motherboard would automatically read the four DRAM slot population, drop the DRAM speed accordingly to the population.

A good fix actually.

Thanks to all who proffered advice on this subject. :biggrin:

I just bit the bullet and purchased another matched pair of 2GB RAM modules, Corsair XMS2, Pt.No.CM2X2048-6400C5, exactly the same as already fitted. Left the speed setting at 800MHz, and obviously the voltage at 1.8V as I had no control over this, and plugged in the new modules.

When the smoke cleared, no - strike that, no problems, all seems to be working 100%, all 8GB of memory is shown as being present and the PC flies. Haven't yet tested it with memtest but am confident that, being Corsair, it ain't gonna let me down.

I think we can now close this thread.

Thanks again to all, especially Derek T, who answered both this and my earlier post.

Tony N

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showth...gabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

Since your motherboard has no features for manually setting the values, the values will be automatically set via hardware recognition and plug and play enumeration.

Hi Derek,

sorry to appear thick, it's probably 'cos I am but you said: -

Your motherboard would automatically read the four DRAM slot population, drop the DRAM speed accordingly to the population. .

Er, why?

Tony N

Archived