Corsair Community

Which RAM for P6T and i7?

Frederiksen78

Hey

Amazing how much of a hard time I've had trying to find out which RAM modules I can use in my next upgrade. I am getting:

ASUS P6T Deluxe

Intel i7 920

I suppose that's the important information. I've looked in the P6T users manual on the web, and in the list of 1600MHz supported modules, there are no Triple-channel RAM listed. Also, I wanted to buy the:

Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Core i7 Memory Kit

but this kit is not listed on the supported memory list (yet i7 is listed in the above name on the site I found it - ncix.com).

So my question is simple:

Can I use the above mentioned 6GB kit (3x2GB) in a P6T Deluxe motherboard with an i7 CPU? There is mention of the voltage being too high (max 1.65v says Intel) - is that a problem?

If I can't use the above module, what can I use?

I will not be overclocking.

Thanks in advance.

I spent some more time browsing these forums, and I think I found what I needed. Apparently, and as I suspected, I will not be able to run 1600MHz without overclocking - and that's where the voltage problem hits.

I've ordered the TR3X6G1333C9 modules instead - running at 1333MHz should be no problem for the i7 in terms of voltage.

Thanks though. Now I know where to look next time I have hardware problems :)

Archived