Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF crashing

clough666

I installed the 2 sticks of memory into slots 1 & 3 of my DFI Lanparty JR P45-T2RS with settings 5-5-5-15 2.1v 266/1066 divider and had problems posting the system. I moved them to slots 2 & 4, same settings and the system will post but crashes after 20 minutes. I downgraded the memory to 266/800 and posted with no problems.

With the above maually set settings I have ran memtest for both sticks and after 6 passes no errors at DDR2-800, when testing at DDR2-1066 one stick will not post in slot 1, one hangs after 7 minutes testing in slot 1. Strangely both have completed the same test with no errors in slot 2 with the same settings.

With settings 5-5-5-15 2.1v 299/1066 I have also tested the 2 sticks in dual chanel mode, Slot 1 & 3 hang the system before i can boot cd for memtest, slots 2 & 4 test but showed 46 errors before hanging the system.

I have the latest offical bios revision on my board, all other settings are standard with no overclocking.

Can someone please tell me if this is faulty RAM or could it be my motherboard? Is there any other settings i can try and are there any known problems with this combination of memory and motherboard?

I have had the sticks since Friday 09.01.2009, less than a week, purchased from Scan in the UK.

• Corsair Employees

The randomness of the behaviour over the various slots could indicate that the MOBO is the issue. Can you test the modules in another known working system.

Please try the test again and use the slot you indicated the best success with. I think it was slot 2.

Clear the CMOS, and with 1 module in slot 2, reset timings and voltage manually, and test each for 3-5 passes each with Memtest. Make sure you have the most recent version of Memtest and also

http://www.memtest.org

I cuurently only have this motherboard, i will try the test as you suggest and post back results later this evening or tomorrow.

Are there any settings you would suggest i try in the bios other than 5-5-5-15 2.1v or 5-5-5-18 2.1v

As a side note, i posted the same problem on the DFI forum, and they have indicated a possible issue with the memory, copy of the link http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9193.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

• Corsair Employees

It is rare but not impossible to get 2 bad modules from us due to how we test them through the building and packaging processes. And, due to the different behavior between the different slots, I am leaning towards the MOBO.

However, if the memory is bad, we'll replace it.

I have completed testing using Slot 4 at recommended settings set manually for 1066 operation and both Dimms passed without errors.

1st Dimm completed 24 passes without error but the system hung after 9hrs.

2nd Dimm completed 5 passes without error before been user stopped.

When i ran a test previously in dual channel mode i got errors, but as stated above single channel reports no errors.

Would this suggest the Ram is working perfectly ok and its the motherboard at fault with Slots 1 & 3 single and dual channel and slots 2 & 4 in dual channel only.

• Corsair Employees
Would this suggest the Ram is working perfectly ok and its the motherboard at fault with Slots 1 & 3 single and dual channel and slots 2 & 4 in dual channel only.

That is what I would suspect, however if possible you may want to test the memory in a known working system just to make sure that the problems go away.

Archived