Corsair Community

Can't put in more the 4gb of RAM, HELP!

Jester13

I have tested all the ram and all the ports on the motherboard and they all seem to be in perfect working order. The problem comes in when I try to put in more then 4gb of ram.. The weird thing is, when I put in more then 4gb my VIDEO CARDS stop working....

Please help, I want to get more ram for some of the larger CAD drawings I do for work.

Thanks for any help in advance.

• Corsair Employees
The problem comes in when I try to put in more then 4gb of ram.. The weird thing is, when I put in more then 4gb my VIDEO CARDS stop working....

This is very odd. Do you have the latest BIOS installed? I would suggest that you contact the motherboard manufacturer and see if this is a known issue with them.

What driver version are you using for your 3870s? I'm aware that some users have experienced issues with this specific combination:

1. Catalyst 8.12

2. Vista 64

3. Crossfire

4. 4GB or more of RAM installed

I would recommend trying Catalyst 8.11. Make sure you remove all the previous drivers and software for Catalyst.

What driver version are you using for your 3870s? I'm aware that some users have experienced issues with this specific combination:

1. Catalyst 8.12

2. Vista 64

3. Crossfire

4. 4GB or more of RAM installed

I would recommend trying Catalyst 8.11. Make sure you remove all the previous drivers and software for Catalyst.

I tried 2 earlier version of video drivers, and I also tried only having 1 video card in... same thing happens

When you populate all four DRAM slots it is advised to drop the bandwidth and raise the NB/SPP voltage.

So set the DRAM to 667Mhz and the NB/SPP Core +.2v.

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from-->

Enter your BIOS, load setup defaults and save setup defaults. Then set to these values:

Advanced

JumperFree Configuration
AI Overclocking = Manual
FSB Frequency = 200
PCI-e Frequency = 100MHz
Processor Frequency Multiplier = Auto
Processor Voltage = Auto
Processor-NB Voltage = Auto
CPU VDDA Voltage = Auto
CPU-NB HT Link Speed = Auto
DDR Voltage = 1.9v 
Northbridge Voltage = 1.45v
Soutbridge Voltage = Auto
Auto XPress = AutoCPU Tweak = Enabled

Memory Configuration

Bank Interleaving = Auto
Channel Interleaving = Auto
MemClk Tristate C3/ATLVID = Disabled
Memory Hole Remapping = Enabled 
Unganged Mode Support = Disabled
Power Down Enable = Disabled
Read Delay = Auto
DCQ Bypass Maximum = Auto

DRAM Timing Mode

Memclock Value = 667Mhz
2T Mode = Enabled
DRAM Timing Mode = DCT 0
CAS Latency = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
All other settings are Auto Set

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

• Corsair Employees
Sorry to sound dumb, but would 2 sticks being 1.80v and 2 being 1.90v be the cause? If so, is there a way to change it?

The different voltage ratings mean that you are mixing 2 different revisions of memory which is not recommended. However, this cannot cause the video related problems you are seeing.

Please let us know the results of your testing. Most likely this is going to be a BIOS related issue. Have you contacted the MOBO maker?

• 5 months later...

sorry for the extremely late reply, I was sent out of town for work for 6 months.

When I go into the bios and go into JumperFree Configuration all I ge for options is this:

AI Overclocking: Auto

CPU-NB HT Link Speed: Auto

**** Please key in voltage number directly! ****

Processor Voltage: Auto

Processor-NB Voltage: Auto

CPU VDDA Voltage: Auto

CPU Tweak: Enable

PLL1 Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PLL2 Spread Spectrum: Disabled

What are you setting the memory frequency and Voltage to? Should be DDR667 at 2.1 Volts for memory and +.2 Volts for NB/MCH/SPP Voltage.

I'm leaving everything at default. I don't even know where to go to change that information. My bios for some reason extremely lacks options... as per my post on the first page.

And I can't see anything when I try all 4 sticks. My monitors just stay black.

• Corsair Employees

If you test the modules one at a time can you isolate a single module that may be causing the issues? If they all give you the same results, can you test a single module in each DIMM slot to make sure its not a slot on the board causing the problem?

If you are having problems locating the settings in your BIOS you may want to consult the motherboards user manual or the motherboards support team. Some boards will make you set a setting like AI Overclocking to manual before they will give you the options to make the necessary adjustments.

I have tested each module in each slot, and everything works.

A-1 A-2 A-3 A-4

B-1 B-2 B-3 B-4

C-1 C-2 C-3 C-4

D-1 D-2 D-3 D-4

I will try the thing with my mother board's bios. Once again the only problem is I can't even get to the bios screen with all 4 modules in... Should I set it up with 2, then put the other 2 in and make sure they have the same settings?

• Corsair Employees
I will try the thing with my mother board's bios. Once again the only problem is I can't even get to the bios screen with all 4 modules in... Should I set it up with 2, then put the other 2 in and make sure they have the same settings?

Thats probably the best way to do it, let us know your results!

Archived