Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Stability

quickce

Hey All,

I'm new to these forums, so I apologize if this question has been asked before. I have a Asus P5N32-E SLI (680i) board with a E8400@4.4GHz. When doing max stress test on the CPU I can pass just fine. The problem comes when I do a Blended test in Orthos. It will lock up pretty quickly.(usually within the 1st 30 minutes). I am running the Ram at the stock speed, 1066 with stock timings and stock voltage of 2.1V.

Can anyone shed some light as to why I am consistently unstable when doing Ram tests. Under normal operation, things work fine. I played WoW for about 2 hours with no issues. But under stress testing the ram....I get issues.

Thanks All!!

Have you run a Memtest? That's the test you need to be doing to be certain of the DRAM and have it isolated from all the possible issues that can arise. When you run Memtest, be sure to run at least two full passes. As well, if you want to be certain of Windows stability, then I would advise you to perform a linpack test.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. To be certain of both CPU and Memory inside the Windows interface, use the Intel Linpack CPU/Memory test.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test.

Hey All,

I'm new to these forums, so I apologize if this question has been asked before. I have a Asus P5N32-E SLI (680i) board with a E8400@4.4GHz. When doing max stress test on the CPU I can pass just fine. The problem comes when I do a Blended test in Orthos. It will lock up pretty quickly.(usually within the 1st 30 minutes). I am running the Ram at the stock speed, 1066 with stock timings and stock voltage of 2.1V.

Can anyone shed some light as to why I am consistently unstable when doing Ram tests. Under normal operation, things work fine. I played WoW for about 2 hours with no issues. But under stress testing the ram....I get issues.

Thanks All!!

Hey All,

Thanks All!!

im sorry to hear you got stuck with that board.. they are notorious for not going above 800Mhz on the memory.. basically a useless board for anyone that wants to overclock.. i would suggest leaving your ram at 800Mhz and tightening up the timings and that should stable you out..

ASUS wont even talk to other manufactures about why there ram dosent run at stock speeds on there board.. oh wait, i think the quote went something like "our board runs fine at 800Mhz".. manufactures was tiring to work with ASUS to make there reaper 9200@1142Mhz memory work better in an upcoming bios update..Asus has often shipped out MBs with an inadequate BIOS. The old P5N32 SLI deluxe didnt even support dual core CPUs until you upgraded the bios and you needed a single core CPU to do it!!! the board was in my house for a month and what a hellish month it was.. im not saying its not ok for someone that wants to just run stock but as soon as you start to play with things or get memory to run higher than 800Mhz your screwed.. my advice is to acquire another board.. or dont touch anything!! leave your memory at 800Mhz as ASUS states that is the ONLY supported speed.. google around and see for your self. i would venture to say with out really knowing whats going on other than the fact you have that board, that the Corsair memory you have is not at fault here.. i could be wrong but i highly doubt it as i have delt with this POS board in the past and there is countless reads about how your board is for crap on the net..

Well, I ran MemTest version 3.4...supposed to be the latest version over night. Ended up running 6 passes total with 0 errors...so that clears up the memory issue. So backed OC of the processor down to 4.2GHz...and upped the NB core voltage to 1.5V. I played WoW for about 3 hours with no issues...

Haven't run another Blended test in Orthos yet...I'll try that tonight.

The memory is running at 1066 now...but not sure why it can't pass a stability test...does everything else just fine....

If you pass the Memtest, then try Linpack. It's a far better test of system stability. Keep in mind that Linpack raises the temperatures ~10C higher than any other CPU/Memory testing.

Intel Linpack CPU/Memory test.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test.

Well, I ran MemTest version 3.4...supposed to be the latest version over night. Ended up running 6 passes total with 0 errors...so that clears up the memory issue. So backed OC of the processor down to 4.2GHz...and upped the NB core voltage to 1.5V. I played WoW for about 3 hours with no issues...

Haven't run another Blended test in Orthos yet...I'll try that tonight.

The memory is running at 1066 now...but not sure why it can't pass a stability test...does everything else just fine....

Archived