Corsair Community

MSI Wind and Value Select 2GB

LittleStone

Hi! I have a question whether I should RMA, or anything else I can do.

I installed a stick of new VS2GSDS667D2 into my MSI Wind (U90X, 512MB onboard disabled). This stick should work, since at 533MHz the SPD profile is 4-4-4-12, which is exactly the same as the onboard memory of MSI Wind. However, I get intermittent failures in mprime stress test and memtest86+ on this stick. It doesn't happen a lot. For example, mprime can fail, then if I restart the stress test and the problem is gone even if I run the test 10 hours straight. Same for memtest86+, it can fail #2 test at 681.9MB, if I restart and it's okay again.

The tricky part is it fails only once about every 10 times I tested, at the rated speed or overclocked. I tested it on my wife's Compaq B1600 (at 533) without problem. But then, my MSI Wind took some generic DDR2-533 512MB with the onboard memory well too, so I don't know what's at fault here.

Should I RMA it? MSI Wind's BIOS doesn't allow any tweaking of the timing or voltage settings so I'm running out of option.

Bump. Did I post in the wrong forum?

Anyway, I may put this stick to my wife's compaq as an unplanned upgrade and get myself another 2GB stick (not necessary Corsair's). I will wait a couple more days and see whether I really should RMA this one. This support forum is very quiet.

I'm sure there are people interested in knowing whether this stick is compatible with MSI Wind since MSI Wind isn't on Corsair's list.

My MSI Wind still runs with this stick most of the time, with occasional errors. It always corrupt installation of OSx86, or during the upgrade from 10.5.4 to 10.5.6.

Anyway, I give up for waiting. Corsair will not be in my computers from now on. Thanks for your attention.

• 2 months later...

Archived