Corsair Community

Mixing memory timings ?? Can I ??

DeadBert

Hi, I currently have 2 x 512Mb sticks of Corsair XMS 3200. I want to upgrade to 1 gig of memory but I cant get the same modules anymore. I can however get a 512Mb XMS 3200 Low Latency Module. If I buy the low latency module could I run all 3 sticks together at my current memories slower timings ? Motherboard is Asus A7N8X Deluxe Thanks

Welcome to the forums, DeadBert! I'm going to assume the model name on your current "slower" modules is CMX512-3200C2 or perhaps TwinX1024-3200C2 which is a matched pair of those modules. If you added a CMX512-3200LL to that setup, you can always [i]try[/i] to run it at CAS 2-3-3-6, but it'll probably be unstable purely because you're running three modules in dual-channel ([i]or maybe it'll default to a virtual single channel mode[/i]). Run [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] to check for stability/errors, but I'm fairly certain you'll have to reduce your timings to something like: CAS - 2.5 RAS to CAS - 3 RAS Precharge - 3 Cycle Time (tRAS) - 7 DDR Voltage - 2.7x PLUR CK

My memory isnt TwinX nor are they exactly matched (I'm guessing as I bought them a few months apart). By reducing to the timings you suggested how much performance do you estimate I would be losing, I think by having 1 gig instead of 512 I would benefit much more than having less but faster memory. Also I have read alot of benchmarks that claim memory timings offer negligable performance increases, what are your comments about such benchmarks ? Unfortunately I see no other way of upgrading to 1 gig without having to buy 2x 512 sticks which I cant afford.

Oh yes I should have added .... I have also read that with current AMD CPU's (i am using a Barton 2500+ at 3200+ speed ~2.2GHz) running memory in dual channel offers little performance increases than in single channel, only intel chips seem to take advantage of dual channel. Any comments for this also ?? Thanks very much

• Corsair Employees
You should be able to add a 512 Meg module in slot 3 and install the 2-256 Meg sticks in slots 1-2 and they you should have dual DDR on the full 1.0 Gig of memory. And when mixing memory, you may have to set the timings manually to a slower setting as suggested by Candy Kid. And I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well.

Hi, Just to tell you the results of my experience. I bought the Low latency stick to add to my system and everything works fine at 2-3-3-6. The voltage is set to BIOS default of 2.6v. I have done 6 cycles of memtest86 v3 with no errors. Again thanks for all your help.

Archived