Corsair Community

Could my motherboard be corrupting the Dimms?

I couldn't get any visual output out of my computer. I am thinking its the motherboard or processor.

I tested 2 different video cards as well as 2 different monitors so I pretty much deduced that it is not the video card nor the monitor.

The machine is not overclocked and everything is running at stock settings.

It actually turned out to be the RAM. I replaced the RAM with Dimms from a different machine and it worked perfectly. When I put the "damaged" dimms in the other computer the other computer would not start.

I currently have an RMA in progress for 2 other dimms of the same model. They were causing random restarts. The other dimms failed MEMTEST and these passed however today these had a problem.

I now have to RMA all 4 sticks of RAM. Do you think all 4 RAM sticks can be bad? I bought them in 2 separate batches about a year and a half ago, 2 dimms at a time. I bought 2 dimms and then 2 dimms 1 week later.

The computer worked fine for this last week. Today I tried to take it out of sleep but it wouldn't. I restarted and the problem started.

Do you think all four sticks of RAM are bad or do you think the motherboard could be corrupting or damaging the RAM?

Thanks,

JOe K.

• Corsair Employees
Its possible that the motherboard could be causing the memory to fail. I would test each module in a different system if possible, and make sure that you have the voltage set to 2.1 volts manually in the BIOS. If all four modules appear to be bad, then lets get them replaced. If the same thing happens with a replacement set of memory then I would get the board replaced.

I tested the 2 I just registered for an RMA in different systems. They did not work in either system. They caused both PC's not to boot.

Would under-voltage from the MOBO cause errors? Would it physically "break" the RAM?

Would my MOBO default to less than 2.1v for each DIMM?

Thanks,

JOe K.

• Corsair Employees
It is hard to say but if the voltage is not stable with that MB and not being set to what it states that would suggest the MB may have some voltage issue and I would consider replacing it ASAP. Normally if there is Voltage spikes at anytime would cause this type of failure and some chipsets have had issues with S3 mode and spiking the memory voltage, so most likely that is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking through the threads prior to starting one of my own when I saw tjcinnamon's symptoms. Mine are alarmingly similiar...

1) I couldn't get any visual output out of my computer. I am thinking its the motherboard or processor.

2) I tested 2 different video cards as well as 2 different monitors so I pretty much deduced that it is not the video card nor the monitor.

3) The machine is not overclocked and everything is running at stock settings.

4) It actually turned out to be the RAM. I replaced the RAM with Dimms from a different machine and it worked perfectly. When I put the "damaged" dimms in the other computer the other computer would not start.

The computer worked fine for me last week, then it just failed to boot and output video until I put replacement RAM in. The Asus P5E WS Pro had the DRAM volts set to 2.1 in the BIOS, so I assume it wasn't out of volt spec... So, I'm requesting an RMA to get good memory back in the machine. Thank you in advance.

Christopher

Archived