Corsair Community

CM2X1024-6400C4: One of two modules fails in Asus P5K WS

SatCP

I'm building a new system and I suspect one of the Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 modules is failing.

- Mainboard: Asus P5K WS (latest BIOS 1201)

- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

- Memory: Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 (2.10V v6.2) (2x1024MB)

I have set the BIOS to 4-4-4-12 timing and 2.10V DRAM voltage.

When the good module is installed in one of the slots, the system runs fine and stable. Memtest86 ran over 2 hours without problems. This may not qualify as thorough testing, but I have no reason to suspect this module since my system has been working perfectly with it - even during complete Gentoo Linux system recompiles.

When the bad module is installed in one of the slots (alone or paired with the other module), things start to go wrong. Very often the system won't even post. The fans and harddisks spin up, but the display remains dark. No beep codes either. In other situations the system posts but immediatly shows an overclock failure recovery and proposes to reset/restore the BIOS settings. In the rare case it actually passes the post it usually hangs shortly after. Memtest86 fails within a few minutes by spawning errors or simply hanging.

This happens in every memory slot. Since the other module works fine in the very same slots, I doubt the mainboard is involved.

Lowering the timings to 5-5-5-15 seems to improve the situation, but the system is still unstable and unreliable as hell. I didn't bother trying even slower settings and a lower memory bus speed. I'm not overclocking the system in any way, so I'm not pushing anything towards the limits. There's no reason why the module shouldn't work at the advertised speeds.

Archived