Corsair Community

Flash Voyager/GT Compatibility with Ubuntu 8.10

CorsairGT

I tried to install Ubuntu v8.10 on several 4, 8 and 16GB. I installed Ubuntu successfully on 1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB Flash Voyager. However, I couldn't install the same OS on another 1 x 8 GB Flash Voyager and 1 x 16 GB Flash VoyagerGT.

My question is: Are Flash Voyager/GT compatible with Ubuntu?

Yup they are compatible.

Did you have only a single disk plugged in while doing the install? I think Ubuntu installer puts grub on /dev/sda (hd0) by default, which means if you have more than one disk plugged in, and you happen to be installing Ubuntu to /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sda, grub won't be installed to the right disk.

Btw, you could probably save a bunch of time and effort by just dd-ing the disks rather than installing separately.

Yup they are compatible.

Did you have only a single disk plugged in while doing the install? I think Ubuntu installer puts grub on /dev/sda (hd0) by default, which means if you have more than one disk plugged in, and you happen to be installing Ubuntu to /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sda, grub won't be installed to the right disk.

Btw, you could probably save a bunch of time and effort by just dd-ing the disks rather than installing separately.

I only tried to install a single Flash Voyager or GT at a time. The flash drives which gave me the problem were the most recently purchased. I think the quality is deteriorating!

I'm new to Ubuntu, so I'd only install one drive at a time. Furthermore, if the new drives were bad, I wouldn't be able to duplicate the OS on the bad drives anyway.

I had a bit of trouble getting it onto a 2GB GT Voyager, but it works.

When you say you couldn't do it, exactly what wasn't working?

The first time I started up Ubuntu from Live CD, Ubuntu could detect the 8 GB Flash Voyager. I proceeded to install the OS onto the flash drive. However, when i shutdown the OS to restart from the flash disk, it displayed an endless error messages...something to do with USB errors.

I tried to reformat the drive with Windows Explorer and HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool v2.0.6. Afterward, I tried to install Ubuntu again on the drive. However, Ubuntu couldn't detect the drive anymore; but XP could.

On the 16 GB Flash Voyager GT, when I reboot after installation, it displayed an error message: No operation system.

I wonder whether there is a diagnostic software somewhere which I could use to verify the integrity of a flash drive?

A little Googling suggests its a problem with Ubuntu.

Found this:

Problem

When I boot for the first time, I see an error message along the lines of "No operating system

could be found on the hard disk."

Solution

It seems that, for whatever reason, the GRUB boot loader wasn't installed correctly. Boot from the DVD-ROM, and select Try Ubuntu Without Any Change to Your Computer when prompted. When the Ubuntu desktop appears, click Applications ➤ Accessories ➤ Terminal. This will open a command-prompt window. Type the following commands in sequence:

sudo grub

root (hd0,1)

setup (hd0)

quit

Then restart Ubuntu (click System ➤ Quit). Ensure you remove the DVD-ROM when prompted. You should find that the Ubuntu boot menu now appears when you boot.

If you try that just remember to make sure you tell it to install on the USB drive, not the HDD. :D:

It's odd that you're only having trouble with specific drives though, although Ubuntu can be a bit quirky like that. The last release didn't like specific AMD hardware which was a pain.

Try that. The Ubuntu forums seem to be down for maintenance at the moment, but it might be a problem with Ubuntu, not the drives.

Your distributor in Hong Kong has confirmed to me that the new 16 GB GT is bad and they'll replace it. I think the distributor will probably tell me that the 8 GB is bad too. Is this bad luck or what? I'm beginning to loose confidence in Corsair's products!

I don't mean to sound like a Corsair fanboy here but if the drive works perfectly well in every respect except booting an OS I'd doubt it's a problem with the drive. An OS is just another set of files: copying file X works in the same way as copying OS files.

Now, OS setup and configuration is a different matter.

If your distributor is happy enough to replace it though you may as well give it a go. It'll narrow down the options anyway.

I was able to install Ubuntu v8.10 on the following jump drives:

- 4 GB x 1FV

- 8 GB x 1FV

- 8 GB x 2 Tosh_ba TransMemory

- 8 GB x 1 A.D_TA Xupreme

They're all running reliably. I expected FV and FV/GT to perform the same or better than the other brands. I preferred FV and FV/GT because I thought they're more reliable, however, I was wrong!

If you believe that Ubuntu has killed the two FV, then the above jump drives should be dead already, they aren't. How could you explain that I could install the OS on an older 8 GB FV and not on a new one?

I ran into an identical problem today. Just got my replacement 8GB (Flash Voyager) drive from Corsair ( many thanks Corsair for prompt handling of the RMA ) . The drive seems to working fine from XP - a 699 MB file , takes 89 seconds to write.

However when I tried to install Kubuntu 8.10 on it - while booting it keeps on complaining about read errors before finally quitting. I have tried the format / install cycle many times , with the same result. And at the same time, read / write from XP continues to perform well.

I have an identical configuration on a Sandisk 4GB SD card using a Sandisk USB card reader, and that works flawlessly.

I am going to try installing slax on the Corsair drive and see how it goes. Hopefully that will narrow the problem down

Update:

I was able to slax and it seems to be working flawlessly so far. Question for RAM GUY - Is it possible for software to actually 'kill' a flash drive ? I can understand certain software not working , but can they destroy a drive ?

Ram Guy,

My friend wanted me to install Ubuntu v8.10 on a flash drive for him. Although I told him that I had some successes and failures with Flash Voyager and GT, he bought a 8 GB Flash Voyager anyway.

I boot up Ubuntu from a Live CD, and inserted the drive. Although the light on the drive flashed a couple of time, the drive icon didn't show up on the desktop as expected. However, the file browser Nautilus v2.24.1 did detect the FV as an USB drive.

In order to help Corsair figure out why some of FV work and some don't, I am giving you a list of the batch numbers:-

The Ubuntu compatible lots:

4 GB - 08066012-0

8 GB – 08046024-0

The Ubuntu NOT compatible lot:

8 GB - 08526011-0

I didn't write down the lot no. of the other failed 16 GB FV/GT and 8 GB FV. If you need them, I will try to ask your local distributor.

In order to help Corsair figure out why some of FV work and some don't, I am giving you a list of the batch numbers:-

Yes, but what RamGuy and I have been trying to explain is that it might not be a problem with the drives, it might be a problem with Ubuntu. It's a very polished OS but it's not bug free, and if you dig through the Ubuntu forums there are a lot of people getting mixed results with different combinations of hardware. The official Ubuntu guide page even says so:

Booting from USB stick can be very handy, but there is no guarantee that it will work with your particular combination of computer and USB stick. Even if you are able to boot from your USB stick on one computer, this does not mean that it is going to work with the next one.

Try installing it using a different method (see here) or try asking for help on the Ubuntu forums. There are two sources of problems here: it's the drive, or it's the OS, and from some of the things you've mentioned it could be the OS.

• Corsair Employees

Amorphia

Yes I agree with you, but we will be happy to replace the drive if this should happen. Or if the user has a drive that is known to have an issue the new drives we have now should not have any issues with any current version of Linux.

Well at least till the next version of linux is released then we might get a whole new can of worms! :D:

I realize that the original post was about the flash drive not being recognized . My 8GB Flash Voyager is recognized readily in Kubuntu . However when booting Kubuntu from the same drive, Squashfs throws back a ton of read errors. However, this does not seem to be a Corsair problem, because I have the identical problem with another 8GB USB drive - and that drive as per my tests is faster than the Corsair.

So this seems to be a problem with Kubuntu / Ubuntu .

Amorphia,

I used the same IBM T-40 notebook PC and the same Ubuntu v8.10 Live CD to install Ubuntu on a dozen flash drives as per my previous message. All installations were successful including some previous batches of Flash Voyager 4 and 8 GB. However, I couldn't repeat my successes with the newly acquired Flash Voyager 8 GB (batch #: 08486002-0) or FV/GT 16 GB (08406009-0)!

My logic tells me that Corsair must have changed the manufacturing process rendering the new batches unusable with Ubuntu. Corsair's local distributor even told me that the 16 GB FV/GT was bad with Windows XP.

The local distributor and I are searching the market for any unsold FV with batch # beginning with 080xxxxx which is compatible with v8.10.

RamGuy,

You need to ascertain why the recent batches of Flash Voyager and FV/GT are not compatible with Ubuntu v8.10. Inform your local distributor Hornington in Hong Kong which batch/batches are compatible. Otherwise, it is pointless for me to return my bunch of USB drives back to your local distributor. I also need to decide whether I will continue and advise others to buy Flash Voyager/GT.

Your local distributor told me that none of the batches on hand are compatible with Ubuntu v8.10. However, they may be compatible with older version of Ubuntu.

I doubt you will find many if any of the lot as it was quitte some time ago and if you have that problem just get an RMA and we will be happy to replace it.

Ram Guy,

Do you have any FV or FV/GT which are compatible with Ubuntu v8.10 now? If you don't, then it is pointless for me to send them directly to Corsair! Furthermore, if you have drives which are compatible with Ubuntu, you'd send the replacement to Hornington for me to pick up. I estmate that the courier cost is probably more than the drives themselves. It is economically not viable.

Just send them to us directly and that will not be an issue. And horrington should not have any of the older drives.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived