Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX unstable over 250mhz

piker

I seem unable to get my TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX ram over 250mhz on my ASUS P5Q board with an E5200 cpu. They are supposed to run at 400mhz,at least, aren't they? If someone could give me some ideas as to what i'm doing wrong it would be very much appreciated. I've set them at 4-4-4-12 and 2.1 volts and actually boots up fine at 250mhz, but if I try to go over that it won't boot.Any ideas?

Are you overclocking? Lower your multiplier and raise your FSB.

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Set one stick in slot 1 (Closest to the CPU), enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values.

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

[b]Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 9
FSB Frequency = 333
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-800
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  4
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 4
RAS# PRE Time = 4
RAS# ACT Time = 12
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Disabled
Relax Level = 9
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = 1.40
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Volage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled for memtest and enabled afterwards

Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down, remove the stick and insert it in the third slot. Retest. Shut the system down insert a stick in first and third slot. Retest. If stable, enter windows and post a screenshot of the CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Thanks DerekT for the reply,A few questions about these settings that I should use....

1.I don't have a "Dram Command Rate" to set at 2N

2." AI Transaction Booster" can only be set to auto or manual, not disabled(I set it to manual and did nothing else)

3.The "relax level" isn't there, unless you mean "common performance level"?

I have done everything else to the letter but the computer absolutely refuses to boot.Fires up for a few seconds with a blank screen then reboots constantly.Any ideas?

Thanks DerekT for the reply,A few questions about these settings that I should use....

1.I don't have a "Dram Command Rate" to set at 2N

2." AI Transaction Booster" can only be set to auto or manual, not disabled(I set it to manual and did nothing else)

3.The "relax level" isn't there, unless you mean "common performance level"?

I have done everything else to the letter but the computer absolutely refuses to boot.Fires up for a few seconds with a blank screen then reboots constantly.Any ideas?

What BIOS version are you using?

Set the Common Performance Level to 9. Use one stick and insert it in slot 2. Then remove that stick and use the second stick.

Results?

After my first post I actually updated my bios to 1611 (Kets mBIOS)and it made a small difference, in that it didn't keep rebooting anymore but locked up instead!

Anyway I followed your recent instructions and Memtest86 froze everytime, using either slots singly, or in pairs.The bios also froze at times with me needing to use the jumper pin to reset to default.

I then set Default settings again, put memory in slots 1 & 3(dual channel), set Legacy usb to disable and ran Memtest86 with 2 passes, no errors.

I then set ram to 4-4-4-12 and 60tRFC and DDR800 and ram voltage to 2.1v, leaving all other settings as default. 2 passes, no errors.

I have posted below the cpu-z pages using these current settings in the hope that it may give you some clue.Thanks for your help and patience as I intend to keep at this until the puzzle is solved.

# one other question, are the "CPU Ratio Setting" in the Ai Tweaker Menu and the Advance CPU Configuration the same?

cpu-2508.bmp

memory-1203.bmp

spd-1.bmp

After a lot of "trial and error" i've found the limit to my set-up (with stock hsf) as this...

325 x 10 (3.25ghz)

by 815mhz for the Corsair DRAM @ 4-4-4-12

this equals 1300fsb for the CPU

*I have definitely noticed a BIG change in performance with an increase in FSB, as compared to Clockspeed!

This may help someone else with the same set-up, Cheers to all.

It's always good to hear that someone has found "their" way out of the murk. Well done! :D:

After a lot of "trial and error" i've found the limit to my set-up (with stock hsf) as this...

325 x 10 (3.25ghz)

by 815mhz for the Corsair DRAM @ 4-4-4-12

this equals 1300fsb for the CPU

*I have definitely noticed a BIG change in performance with an increase in FSB, as compared to Clockspeed!

This may help someone else with the same set-up, Cheers to all.

Archived