Corsair Community

2 Stick of 2GB memory for Intel i7 Core 965 Extreme

baibaiman

I plan to buy 2x 2GB corsair Dominator for my new machine that using Vista 32 Bit. Vista 32-bit memory cap is 4Gb Right?

I know that Core i7 should use 3 stick instead of 2 stick of memory.

If I decided to use 2 sticks, DDR3 2x 2GB ram PC16000, on my i7 Core 965 extreme, will the performance of my computer will decrease?

It is because it is kind of waste to use 3x 2gb memory because Vista 32-bit only take up to 4GB memory.

Thank You.

It is because the article that I read said that i7 are using 3 channel memory so, they need to work with 3 memory stick in order to gain the maximum speed.

So it is not true? even I am using 2 stick or 3 stick will not make any different?

Now we're talking about two different things. Yes, this is a triple channel setup. You would be losing some speed if you only installed 2 sticks. Just because 4 out of 6GB is being accessed doesn't mean that the 2 GB that's unused is coming from one stick. Windows doesn't see the memory like that.

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15967

Our testing shows that you can even get away with a dual-channel config if you happen to already have a couple of DDR3 DIMMs lying around. I wouldn't skimp on that third memory module if I were building a Core i7 system from scratch, though.

Do you know around how much performance gain will I get if I get 1 more memory? so I will have 3 stick instead of 2 stick.

Thank you for the help

Archived