Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2PT Bad Modules

Jank

I recently purchased a pair of modules from newegg.com specifically these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145575

Everything worked fine for about 2 days, then last night I left the computer on overnight and when I woke up started to receive many different errors in games/programs. I restarted and checked my BIOS, disabled the quick power up so it would run the full memory tests, no errors there and the timings are 2-3-3-6 as listed on newegg and matches my previous corsair modules TWINX1024 3200C2PRO (Which I also had to RMA afew years back because of 1 bad stick) I'm not exactly sure why everything would run great for afew days then start giving me issues. I'm beginning to think newegg might be misshandling these before shipping, as now I am 2/2 with bad sticks from newegg.com

I would like to request a RMA for these sticks.

well I don't have a working floppy drive and burning this has become more of a problem than we previously anticipated...

should I try to boot the computer using only the 2 new and possibly bad sticks? maybe 1 at a time? I'm just afraid of losing data, as when they were in my firefox had reverted to default settings because it crashed/computer crashed with the ram installed.

Following the instructions at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/testing-your-system-for-usb-boot-compatibility/ I did get memtest to run off of my usb drive. Unfortunatly I noticed memtest was using the wrong timings. I restarted and noticed it completely reset my BIOS settings, timings, everything back to default settings...is this normal? Should I be worried at all or should I just put in 1 of the possible bad sticks at a time and test them anyway? If memtest is using the wrong timings I'm afraid it will give errors regardless.

Thanks for the reply RAMGUY, I'm not actually posting this from my house but as soon as I get home I will try those timings and voltage.

Although I'm wondering why I would have to clock down as I specifically bought the new ram to match my previous timings of 2-3-3-6. If I'm not able to get 400Mhz FSB with more modules the whole point of the upgrade is somewhat lost.

• Corsair Employees
There is more loading on the memory controller as you add more memory and it is not uncommon to have to slow the memory down when it is fully loaded especially with aggressive memory. You can try them at DDR400 at Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.8 Volts but if its not stable DDR333 would be suggested.

Alright I've made some progress!

I took my working ram out completely and put in both sticks of the new ram, when memtest hit 99% in Test#5 it reported 4096 errors(I believe this was the exact number of errors) at which point I stopped the test, removed the new ram and re-installed only my working ram to post back here.

Pretty sure this means I need to RMA it yea RAMGUY? :(:

Edit: I really appreciate the fast replies and quality support here at Corsair, you helped me a couple years back RAMGUY and you are the main reason I continue to buy only Corsair ram for my computer. Thanks again for all the help over the years!

• Corsair Employees

I don't have a problem replacing the memory but this MB is picky at best with memory and I would suggest loading setup defaults and then set the tested settings again if you are testing them one set at a time.

If you just want to get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

Hi RAMGUY, Do you mean settings in my BIOS or in memtest? Nomatter what my BIOS is set to memtest starts @ 2.5-3-3-6 and I now know you can change the settings right in memtest. Also I did the test with only the 2 new sticks of ram in, should I repeat the test with 1 new stick only and alternate them after? Also I thought that any errors in memtest meant the ram is faulty? Sorry for the confusion I'm just kinda new with the whole memtest thing.

• Corsair Employees
You would want to configure the tested settings in your BIOS. Memtest will not tell you if you have a bad memory module, but it will tell you if you have a memory related issue. An error in memtest could come from a problem with a memory module, a DIMM slot on the board, the memory controller, the CPU or even settings in the BIOS. The best way to isolate the problem is to test the memory modules one at a time and see if you can isolate a single memory module which is causing the errors. If both modules give you the same results then usually the error is caused by something other than a failing memory module.

Just got back from getting my wisdom teeth removed, so I'm in a lot of pain. I tested all DIMM slots with my working ram so I'm fairly sure those are fine. I will run more tests possibly when I'm feeling better sometime later today or tomorrow. Thanks again RAMGUY.

I completed my tests and I believe I have 1 bad stick in the new pair.

I put in only 1 of the new sticks and started memtest using default settings (3-3-3-8), it passed 100% but then I tried 2.5-3-3-6 and 2-3-3-6 and it reported errors. So I took that stick out, replaced it with it's twin and restarted tests, it also tested 100% with default settings, but to my surprise when I tested 2.5-3-3-6 and 2-3-3-6 it passed those also!

So I am now running with my old pair and the 1 good stick from the new pair on 2-3-3-6 and have no errors. What are the general rules for voltage I should be using after I get the new set RMA'd? It is running @ 2.6v right now with no problems.

My recovery from getting my teeth removed is going good! :p: Thank you for your concern and outstanding technical support! :D:

Archived