Corsair Community

TW3X2G1600C9DHX + Asus P5QC performace question(s)

kbk

Hi there,

I recently bought an Asus P5QC mobo and TW3X2G1600C9DHX 2gb of corsair ram as an upgrade from older components. (And an intel 8500 cpu)

When buying the parts i assumed the ram would be compatible with the mobo since in the description of the ram it says:

"SPD programmed at: JEDEC standard 9-9-9-24 values at 1333MHz".

And i found that the mobo (according to the back of the box) only supported upto 1333mhz ram.

Before i put it all together i came here to check if they would be compatible but neither the ram model nor the asus mobo model are available in the memory search list. So i checked the forums and found this:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=74970&highlight=p5qc

And looking at this persons problem I assumed that the ram was compatible since his was working (ie. could get to the desktop etc.) and it may have just been an incompatibility issue that was seperate he was looking at.

So i put it all together etc. and after booting up it works fine (seemingly) and installing all the drivers etc. for the mobo, it seems slower than my previous setup which had much older components and was using a amd 4200+ and 2gb of ddr1 ram, on bootup and loading software etc.

I checked the cpuz stats to see what they were saying and was hoping someone here could help me interpret them.

http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpuzcpucopyvr3.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpuzramcopyvm7.jpg

I have a few questions looking at these:

a) is 2051mhz the correct core speed for a dual core 8500 @ 3.16ghz ??

b) in that other thread i linked DerekT said something about having a 1:1 CPU:DRAM ratio, whereas here it is 5:8 according to cpuz. is 5:8 wrong/bad and should it be changed to 1:1 and how do i do this? :)

c) is 547mhz the correct speed for the dram frequency for this model?

If theres anything wrong here or something i should do to optimise the intel cpu or the corsair ram so that its running at the correct speed, then any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(will check back here regularly dont worry)

(also attaching images encase upload breaks)

590772461_cpuzcpucopy.jpg.59cb8b8d3762ddfc1dc2e4fb2657ff72.jpg

2109033439_cpuzramcopy.jpg.e365c06a8b2f926507c7b4d724e6d4fc.jpg

The reason for the CPU speed differential is due to Intel Speedstep which lowers the multiplier and CPU speed when power is not needed. When you run an application that needs the power, the processor raises the multiplier and you are at full speed. This keeps your CPU far cooler and is a good thing. You need to overclock your CPU to gain the 1600Mhz DRAM speed. You need a 400Mhz FSB (1600MHz QDR) to ratio out with 800Mhz (1600MHz DDR). I'll post system BIOS settings for your DRAM in a minute or two.

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Shut your system down and be sure to place your DRAM in Slot 1 (second from the CPU) and slot 4 (Reddish Orange Slots). Enter your BIOS, Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults and set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 9.5
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
FSB Frequency = 400
DRAM Frequency = DDR2-1600
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  7
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 7
RAS# PRE Time = 7
RAS# ACT Time = 20
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Auto
DRAM Read Training = Auto
DRAM Write Training = Auto
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
Ai Clock Twister = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto

CPU Voltage = 1.35v
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.85v
NB Voltage = 1.35v
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Load Line Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto
CPU Clock Skew = Auto
NB Clock Skew = Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement = Optimized

Memory Remap - Enabled

Legacy USB = Disabled (For Memtest, Enabled After Memtest)

Boot to the memtest cd and run Memtest for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

thanks for the response DerekT

which slots to put the ram in is confusing me a little by your description

currently i had them both in the orange slots since according to the small description printed on the board i assumed they were the ddr3 slots since they say: DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1

but you say slot 1 which is second from cpu, which is the black DIMM_A2 right?

and the slot 4 you say to put the 2nd stick in is the furthest from the cpu, the orange slot labelled DDR3_B2 ?

little confused on that, on my image attached i labelled the slots 0 to 5

by your description i assumed i should either put the ram in 1 and 4 or 1 and 5, the ones labelled with arrows in my pro PS skills

currently i have the ram in 2 and 5...

edit: well, i did something i should have done earlier before making the rest of this post which was to read the manual :P (rtfm) and it says in the ram section in fairly small text "For DDR3 only install the memory modules in the orange slots"

so i guess ill leave them where they are and get to changing those bios settings, ill be back later with an update

8208largeasusp5qc2of7.jpg.f78ec89c2e71c01fe1f5666afd19829e.jpg

changed the bios settings to those you listed derekt

currently running the memtest

a few things though:

1- in your list it said "DRAM Frequency = DDR2-1600" but it didnt give me that option so i assumed it was a misstype and used the "ddr3-1601mhz" option.

2- i couldnt find anywhere the "memory remap" function, so i assumed if it was somewhere then it was enabled anyway

3- for "DRAM Voltage = 1.85v

NB Voltage = 1.35v" it wouldnt let me set the values as 5 because it only went up in intervals of two, so i set them at 1.86 and 1.36 , was this the right thing to do or should i have gone below the value with 1.34 and 1.84

:)

1st pass went fine but second an error happened in test 5 and it got stuck in a endless loop of errors going up and up and not continuing the test

i restarted and lowered those voltages to 1.34 and 1.84 and am now running the memtest again

So I changed the voltage values to 1.84 and 1.34 and ran the memtest through two passes.

On the first passed it errored 3 times on the first pass on test #5 again, then on the second pass it didnt error at all.

Im attaching images of the memtest just after it finished the second pass and the settings that the BIOS were on when I ran the passes. (yes legacy usb was off, afaik, unless it turned itself on again)

Currently I am running another 2 passes with the settings back on 1.86 and 1.36 so that if they error again I can photo the error and upload it here.

However im not claiming that this setting is the thing causing the issue here, im relying on the fact that i got derekt's instructions correct, and that this is the only variable that wouldnt correspond with his instructions because of the bios settings. Im not very experienced im ram tweaking so im kind of a blind mouse atm, not sure where to go from here in order to make them stable.

:)

point4mem1.jpg.87e65550a846c38063419c69b316b3ec.jpg

point4img1.jpg.c36da1c8415519a500c127c815d564ff.jpg

point4img2.jpg.4613b59ec0df3c8d5e7857052fa748e6.jpg

point4img3.jpg.327018bc2c65c833ba2a4f81a6386e19.jpg

I ran the 1.86 and 1.36 voltages for 3 passes while i afk'd for dinner.

Came back and there was not a single error. So im hoping that this is infact a stable setup.

I photo'd it for proof and im attaching the cpuz readout for cpu , memory and spd.

Are things looking more correct now? Is it right that the ratio is 1:2 and not 1:1 etc. :D

Thanks for your help so far derekt

edit: not sure why the cpu readout was 3800, must have bumped up for a split second as i took the screenshot, stable without many background programs its 2400 with x6.0 multiplier atm. :)

186pass3memtst12109.jpg.9656248c4feaac49d6ee4bd519cd07dc.jpg

cpuz1861.jpg.1cfd23b519d5a85b35743ab454793931.jpg

cpuz1862.jpg.08cee42b0ce28143eec92cc622a0b4da.jpg

cpuz1863.jpg.51cf082bd86796d4298664167e4a3bb0.jpg

Are things looking more correct now? Is it right that the ratio is 1:2 and not 1:1 etc. :D

Yes, you are right where you want to be.

not sure why the cpu readout was 3800, must have bumped up for a split second as i took the screenshot, stable without many background programs its 2400 with x6.0 multiplier atm. :)

You have to overclock the FSB to create a viable relationship with the CPU and the DRAM.

Stock with a 333FSB = 333 X 9.5 = 3.163.5Ghz

Clocked up with a 400FSB = 400 X 9.5 = 3.8Ghz

Now you need to enter your BIOS and set your multiplier lower. Set to 8 and you have 8 X 400 = 3.2Ghz

That is unless you want to overclock to 3.8Ghz. What CPU cooler are you using?

That is unless you want to overclock to 3.8Ghz. What CPU cooler are you using?

Im fine with it on 3.8, the faster the better, currently using the standard heatskinfan it comes with because I lost the 775 block piece for my water cooling system and need to buy a new one. Will the normal heatsinkfan hold out for now (a month or so) do you think, or is advisable to return to my watercooling block+pump asap ?

Im fine with it on 3.8, the faster the better, currently using the standard heatskinfan it comes with because I lost the 775 block piece for my water cooling system and need to buy a new one. Will the normal heatsinkfan hold out for now (a month or so) do you think, or is advisable to return to my watercooling block+pump asap ?

I would lower the multiplier to 9 then and go with 3.6ghz until you get better cooling.

Archived