Corsair Community

System freezing up

MajikAl

Hi There Don't know if this is the right topic forum,

I've been having problems running the above setup. My machine freezes up anywhere from 2mins - 2hours.

I've applied suggested BIOS settings from existing forum threads and your FAQ XMS Qualification and Testing yet with no joy! Including this one which most closely matches my specs :

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72726&highlight=q9450+p5e3

The majority of the time it even freezes up when using memtest. I've updated to the latest BIOS as well as all other mobo drivers.

The closest I've come is on the following settings

CPU Ratio = 8

FSB Strap to North Bridge = 400

FSB Freq = 400

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1600 MHz

CAS# Latency:___________9

RAS# to CAS# Delay:______9

RAS# Precharge:__________9

RAS# Activate to Precharge:24

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.36v

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.56v

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.41v

DRAM Voltage: 1.90v

with these settings I managed to get through one pass of tests with 3 errors on test 7 - my machine then froze up during the second pass.

To make it even worse I've started to work from home and find it a particularly big problem when using packages like After Effects. Any help geting me up on my feet would be greatly appreciated.

The FSB Strap of 400Mhz is somewhat wonky on that motherboard. As well, you need to insert the DRAM into slot 2 and 4 rather than slot 1 and 3.

Download Memtest Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Please Enter your BIOS, load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults and set to these values.

[b]AI Tweaker[/b]

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
    eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = 8
FSB = 400
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1600
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled

AI Clock Twister = Auto
AI Clock Skew for Channel A
AI Clock Skew for Channel B
Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Delay 250ps

CPU Voltage = 1.35v
CPU PLL Voltage = 1.55v
FSB Termination Voltage = 1.25v
DRAM Voltage = 1.8v
NorthBridge Voltage = 1.55v
SouthBridge Voltage = Auto
Clock Over Charge Voltage = Auto

Save, shut down and insert a single stick in the slot 2. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down. Remove the stick and replace it with the second stick. Retest. Then insert a stick in slot two and slot four. Retest with Memtest. If stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Sure thing. By running the Memtest on the modules singly you are isolating the sticks and determining the system as a possible variable to the instability.

Thanks Derek,

I've been running the memtest tests and have a suspicion that one of the memory sticks is somehow faulty, though before making that conclusion I'll try the setting you've posted.

Thanks vey much!

Hey,

I've tried memtest with the settings you've supplied and found the following:

-Both sticks pass 3 tests in slot 2.

-Both sticks fail firrst test in slot 4.

-2 tests passed when a stick is in both slot 2 and slot 4.

-After booting with 2 sticks on these settings the system freezes as soon as windows is logged on.

-should these 2 lines on the settings have a parameter?

AI Clock Skew for Channel A

AI Clock Skew for Channel B

-My CPU PPL only appears to work in increments on .02 so I'm getting 1.56v rather than our suggested 1.55.

Any clues?! Thanks again.

Alex

After a long night, I've not got much success overclocking so I'm trying to run my biocs all on auto except for the DRAM fSB which I've set to DDR3-1333 and the DRAM voltage set to 1.8v.

I'll run it for a while and post any problems.

Also After looking at the ASUS forums it seems that there's a whole host of problems with this motherboard and the higher end DDR 3 ram. Probably shpould've checked the forums before I purchased but all the advice on corsair's and ASUS's website implied there would be no problems - Not best pleased!

After a long night, I've not got much success overclocking so I'm trying to run my biocs all on auto except for the DRAM fSB which I've set to DDR3-1333 and the DRAM voltage set to 1.8v.

I'll run it for a while and post any problems.

Also After looking at the ASUS forums it seems that there's a whole host of problems with this motherboard and the higher end DDR 3 ram. Probably shpould've checked the forums before I purchased but all the advice on corsair's and ASUS's website implied there would be no problems - Not best pleased!

DDR3 DRAM and pre i7 mainboards seem to be wonky as hell. I'm tossing mine off as I just moved to i7. No issues with it. My motherboard cost ~500 Canadian and WILL NOT run high end, high density DRAM with stability. i7 has no problems at all.

Yeah, just checked the i7 prices online - Talking under GBP200, so I can make that work as soon as I've finished this job and get paid for it!!!

wuold they be compatable with my current processor / memory?

I guess I'll have to struggle through until then - Very disappointed with Asus though. Lookin on their forums they've caught a lot of flak from this especially as they're not really accepting any culpability.

Thanks

Alex

I have installed these same modules in my P6T. I had to leave one out as it will NOT work in the setup. I installed three of my 1600C7 and set the DRAM voltage to 1.64v and ran Memtest at 1600Mhz. No problems. That doesn't mean they will work for you, but they have for me. Be sure to set the DRAM manually to 1.65/1.64v and test with memtest.

Yeah, just checked the i7 prices online - Talking under GBP200, so I can make that work as soon as I've finished this job and get paid for it!!!

wuold they be compatable with my current processor / memory?

I guess I'll have to struggle through until then - Very disappointed with Asus though. Lookin on their forums they've caught a lot of flak from this especially as they're not really accepting any culpability.

Thanks

Alex

Archived