Corsair Community

P5W, both 32 & 64bit, 8GB ram

kjetillunde

Now I have XP32bit, can I have both that and install XP64bit after I`ve inserted 8GB ram in my P5W DH Deluxe?

Say I`ll go for Corsair TWIN2X kit 2x2GB PC6400 800Mhz-555 XMS2 DHX (2 kits so I have 8GB ram)

I`ve read that my board will default from 800Mhz to 667Mhz. Does it mean it work slower?

Now I have XP32bit, can I have both that and install XP64bit after I`ve inserted 8GB ram in my P5W DH Deluxe?

Say I`ll go for Corsair TWIN2X kit 2x2GB PC6400 800Mhz-555 XMS2 DHX (2 kits so I have 8GB ram)

I`ve read that my board will default from 800Mhz to 667Mhz. Does it mean it work slower?

The difference is ~5% at the most. I would not worry about it. I advise you to use two hard drives and populate an OS on each drive.

Install one drive alone. Install Windows XP32 on it. Unhook it and install the second drive. Install XP64 on it. Then when you want to change the OS, use the hot key upon reboot to choose the drive and OS you wish to boot. This way you will not suffer any of the many issues that can arise when Dual Booting to the same drive.

My view at any rate.

The difference is ~5% at the most. I would not worry about it. I advise you to use two hard drives and populate an OS on each drive.

Install one drive alone. Install Windows XP32 on it. Unhook it and install the second drive. Install XP64 on it. Then when you want to change the OS, use the hot key upon reboot to choose the drive and OS you wish to boot. This way you will not suffer any of the many issues that can arise when Dual Booting to the same drive.

My view at any rate.

Ok, so it`s no issues for my already installed XP32 when I insert 8GB ram in 4 modules when I use 667Mhz?

Ok, so I can safely have my already installed XP32 and install XP64 on different partitions on same computer, with 8GB ram on 4 modules without any issues? :-)

What Derek T said in a reply above is to do a clean install of Window 32bit on 1 hard drive and a new install of win 64bit on another hard drive... You can install on a separate partition but you can and probably experience issues... Just read his reply again he is very good... I would only partition if you do not have a second hard drive... good luck...

There's only issues w/ dual booting if you screw up the boot sector for the most part. One OS will not screw with another OS as long as you install them on separate folders.

When you say "on separate folders" you mean on separate partitions (drive c and d) or do you mean fysically on separate hd?

There's only issues w/ dual booting if you screw up the boot sector for the most part. One OS will not screw with another OS as long as you install them on separate folders.

I agree, but I have seen many issues that can arise with older legacy software installing to different Windows legacy folders.

I strongly advise against it personally. The OS's may not screw with each other but the boot sector rewrite can cause issues with legacy software or poorly written code that is not legacy. I have seen this many times.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

My view at any rate.

Ok, thanks Derek! Just so I don`t get you wrong. You suggest I should buy me a new fysical hard drive and insert into my computer and install XP64 on this? (in conjunction with my already installed XP32 on my first hard drive)

And then I can choose the drive and OS I wish to boot with the hot key upon reboot? :-)

Another thing: Is it possible to mirror all programs installed in XP 32bit system and just transfer it to the new XP 64bit? (so I don`t need to install each program)

Ok, thanks Derek! Just so I don`t get you wrong. You suggest I should buy me a new fysical hard drive and insert into my computer and install XP64 on this? (in conjunction with my already installed XP32 on my first hard drive)

And then I can choose the drive and OS I wish to boot with the hot key upon reboot? :-)

Another thing: Is it possible to mirror all programs installed in XP 32bit system and just transfer it to the new XP 64bit? (so I don`t need to install each program)

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. No, you need a fresh install and no copying programs over from one hard drive to another. Don't even have the one drive installed until you have completed your first installation.

One of the issues with legacy or inelegant software is that it will install to a common folder such as user files or even program files directories. What I have described to you completely takes that issue away and if/when you ever decide to sell the machine, you can just remove a drive and have a completely working system in the other drive.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. No, you need a fresh install and no copying programs over from one hard drive to another. Don't even have the one drive installed until you have completed your first installation.

One of the issues with legacy or inelegant software is that it will install to a common folder such as user files or even program files directories. What I have described to you completely takes that issue away and if/when you ever decide to sell the machine, you can just remove a drive and have a completely working system in the other drive.

Yes! Thats make sens to me!

Thank you Derek!

You are the man!!

:-)

I would go with Corsair XMS24096-6400C4DHX DDR2 800 4-4-4-12

I would not use the previous DRAM as populating all four DRAM slots can be problematic. If you decide to try it then it is advised for you to drop the speed of the DRAM to 667Mhz and raise the North Bridge Voltage +.1v (The 975 Northbridge is default over volted by +.1v already).

I would go with Corsair XMS24096-6400C4DHX DDR2 800 4-4-4-12

I would not use the previous DRAM as populating all four DRAM slots can be problematic. If you decide to try it then it is advised for you to drop the speed of the DRAM to 667Mhz and raise the North Bridge Voltage +.1v (The 975 Northbridge is default over volted by +.1v already).

Ok, then I buy me 8GB fresh Corsair ram so I don`t mess with my old ones. I`ll drop the speed of the DRAM to 667Mhz and raise the North Bridge Voltage + 1v. Since I decide to buy 8BG, what ram would you go for then?

Can I use TWIN2X4096-8500C5 dual kit with my motherboard? And if not, why?

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean two dual kits or even worse two dual kits of different versions will not work together, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work together. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects and errors in a two stick kit mode. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad and warranted as a dual kit, not a Quad setup. You need to Memtest them as Kits (2 modules, not as a four DRAM slot population). If they fail as a kit or singly, then you have RMA. Keep in mind that there is no support for mixing and matching different versions of DRAM either since different version are of different fabrications and/or manufacturers. They might work, they might not work, but you have no support if they do not work. Thus you are advised to buy all the DRAM at the same time and in this way be more assured of getting the same versions. If you buy online, be sure to specify same versions of the modules and do not expect even then that they will work and again, no support unless you purchase a quad kit.

For a four DRAM slot population of 1066Mhz DRAM you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz and raise the NB Voltage +.2v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

Set to these values:

Results?

Ok, I know it`s no support unless I purchase a quad kit, but if I buy 2 of this: Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5 is that ok? Should I still drop the speed of the DRAM to 667Mhz and raise the North Bridge Voltage +.1v?

Yes, I would do drop the speed to 667Mhz, raise the northbridge +.1v. Then, once you have found stability, if you do find stability (chances are good) you can also overclock the CPU<--> MCH <--> DRAM and recoup some of the lost bandwidth.

Yes, I would do drop the speed to 667Mhz, raise the northbridge +.1v. Then, once you have found stability, if you do find stability (chances are good) you can also overclock the CPU<--> MCH <--> DRAM and recoup some of the lost bandwidth.

I`ve heard about people getting stability with 800Mhz speed (and same specs as me). Do I risk anything if I try it on 800Mhz?

Archived