Corsair Community

CM2X1024-8500C5D XMS8505v1.2 - Failing Memory tests

AlexGW

Hi all,

I have a pair of CM2X1024-8500C5D XMS2-8500 XMS8508v1.2 modules which (at least one of them) is causing me problems, I have been testing these modules on my profile system spec with another 2 identical modules to these.

The configuration has worked fine until one day after a reboot I received the dreaded C1 BIOS codes (followed by continuous long beeps with a brief pause) on my nForce board. I found out that when this pair is in banks 0-1 it draws the C1 code (with and without the other 2 modules), if the pair is on 2-3 with the other 2 modules on 0-1, the problem can be quickly seen with a memory test.

However I am unsure about the outcome of the test as each and every consecutive address on the module in bank 2 was throwing an error so I decided to stop the test. (I have a video I can post if wanted).

Has anyone else come across anything like this? Perhaps a particular BIOS configuration?

I should also mention that the memory modules are running at stock configuration in the BIOS, at 800MHz as opposed to 1066MHz. I've never had them stable at 1066MHz :(

Thanks for taking the time to ready this.

Hi again,

After further inspection, this issue seems to be related to incompatibility between the 4 modules that I have.

2 Modules are version 1.2

The other 2 modules are version 4.1

Is it possible to exchange any of the modules for ones that are the same version??

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

Yes I have tried them individually also, I recently setup a completly new system with the version 1.2 modules and ran the Microsoft memory tester for several hours, which produced 4 fully passed extended loops at 800MHz.

I currently have the 4.1 modules in this system and they are working perfectly at 800MHz. It only seems to be when I put them together that they cause problems such as blue screening.

Do you know if there are any major changes been with versions 1.2 and 4.1?

• Corsair Employees

Version 1.x is based on Micron and version 4.X would be PSC and if you install 4 modules on that MB I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I managed to find some memory that matches my other 4.2 version modules, so far so good on the evga 680 board! However the 1.2 modules were tried in a Gigabyte board yesterday with some odd results..

One of the modules stopped the board from booting, but the other one booted the system fine!, we have tried some 4.2 version modules in the Gigabyte board (both modules in the board at the same time) which worked fine.

Looks like there really is a problem with one of the 1.2 modules when I thought they were fine

Archived