Corsair Community

Bios & Windows says 4GB, CPU-Z says 6GB?

gFiz

I just put the rig in my sig together tonight (TR3X6G1600C8D).

As the subject header states, during the bios boot up, as well as in windows system page, I'm being told I olnly have 4GB of memory. I ran CPU-Z because I wanted to see which bank wasn't registering, but to my surprise it was displaying all 3 running fine. I haven't done any tweaking yet, infact mem is still running 1066mhz. Is this common or heard of? If not, have I done something wrong, or is it even possible i have a bad stick afterall? Thanks in advance / gFiz

guess i should point out that this is about the 20th computer I've built in the last 5 years, so solutions like "update windows" have already been tried. Not to mention the same reduced memory amount shows in POST as well.

However, when i booted up this morning, now only 2GB are showing at post (with zero change on my end except a shut down), so it's either the mobo or the ram.

If CPU-Z is still showing all 3 sticks, and the correct memory size, then it would seem that the memory is fine. Wouldn't hurt to run memtest 2.11 on them though. Updated the BIOS at all? These new X58s have new a BIOS every week it seems.

Win 64bit Home premium (in my system specs). Not sure what I did but now Windows and cpu-z both show the correct 6GB, however, still only 4gb showing on post. Someone in another forum suggested a bent pin under the CPU. Not sure if this is remotely a possible reason or not. To be it doesn't seem overly plausible since it's identifying correctly now in windows. I think it's a safe bet this is now a mobo issue, and not the memory itself, which good for you, bad for me...much easier to take the ram out and replace :p:

well it was the motherboard, as I just replaced it with the exact same motherboard and exact same bios (mine came with F3 as well) and all the memory is identified. I took a real close look at the old motherboard when it was out to look for any bent pins in the cpu socket (someone in another forum suggested that might be the issue) and couldn't see anything out of place.

• Corsair Employees
well it was the motherboard, as I just replaced it with the exact same motherboard and exact same bios (mine came with F3 as well) and all the memory is identified. I took a real close look at the old motherboard when it was out to look for any bent pins in the cpu socket (someone in another forum suggested that might be the issue) and couldn't see anything out of place.

Glad to hear you resolved it!

Archived