Corsair Community

Asus Commando and TWIN2X2048-8500C5D timings

Spandex

Hi,

If anyone could help I would appreciate it...hands up to being a total n00b overclocker so usually I leave well alone, however my usual 'stick it all on auto dude' isn't going to cut it here. :)

My problem is that I have almost no clue what my settings should be for my processor and RAM and everything I have tried results in fairly infrequent errors to frequent errors to nasty hard restarts. I just can't seem to make it happy. The processor is running default, I haven't changed any values there...yet :) I am on the latest BIOS and rather than continue to stab around in the dark, here I am.

see

DSCF3071.JPG.6aca9d74c2e8e211eb7151be67a9e166.JPG

I was told that I could run the RAM independantly at 1066Mhz and to buy 8500 to do so...I'm fully open to the fact that this motherboard doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin, and that my problems may not be the RAM but I have it on better authority than my own that it's 'just' a RAM timings issue. So if someone could advise the best settings or if it's patently obvious what is wrong, please show me the way as it would be much appreciated.

Here are the pics of what I have currently. I have searched on this forum quite a bit but the advised settings don't seem to match what is available on my board or are perhaps labelled differently so I'm stuck...

BIOS Pics

DSCF3069.JPG.297bb24625ad55ffb0495a88b2141d39.JPG

DSCF3070.JPG.f9be294e38b458fc362a21c7ea9697c7.JPG

(Activate to Precharge is actually set to 18 as per label on RAM)

DSCF3073.JPG.f66ebe9ec02261ba221b6ac47e5704ac.JPG

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

Your memory voltage needs to be set to either 2.1v or 2.2v, look on the sticker on the heat spreader as it varies between revisions. Use the data sheet here to find your testing timings.

Also, on this MOBO, if you are not stable at 1066, you will need to adjust the voltage on the memory controller.

DATA SHEET: http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/dominator/default.aspx

ok thanks, I've tried those so I'll try the memory controller voltage then. Would that be the "DDR2 Controller REF Voltage" setting so then presumably I don't need to do anything to the Channel A and B settings are they only if you want to do them independently right?

I also assume you mean up the voltage rather than back it off?

Also in the last picture, how do I actually set the RAM to 1066, in the list of options I only have 1000,1111,1333.:confused:

with it set to 5-5-5-15 and DRAM Frequency 1000 I get this on CPU-Z

369752149_CPU-ZMem.JPG.946ea582ccd63caafb38d588f3b688bd.JPG

983597752_CPU-ZSPD.JPG.70c9a1d803bc460d1b7b543186d4ce69.JPG

also should TRFC be set to 42??.... no idea where it got that from.

Thanks for bearing with me....

I would flash to the latest BIOS. You have an error with your CPU FSB to DRAM Ratio if you are running with a FSB of 333. With a FSB of 333 you should be able to set to 1066.

ie:

Configure System Performance Settings

Extreme Tweaker

AI Tuning = Manual
CPU Frequency = 333

DRAM Frequency = 1066Mhz
PCI Express Frequency = 100Mhz
PCI CLock Synchronization = 33Mhz
Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Over Voltage

CPU Core Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
NB VCore = 1.35v
Memory Voltage = 2.1v
DDR2 Channel A Ref Voltage = Auto
DDR2 Channel B Ref Voltage = Auto
SB Vcore (SATA, PCI-e) = Auto
SB Chipset Voltage = Auto

ASUS C.G.I. = Auto
Static Read Control = Auto
Configure DRAM by SPD = Disabled
CAS# Latency = 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
RAS# Precharge = 5
RAS# Active to Precharge = 15
Write Recovery Time = Auto
tRFC = 55
tRRD = Auto
Rank Write to Read Delay = Auto
Write to Precharge Delay = Auto

Thanks Derek,

BIOS error, hmm didn't even think of that. It was like that with the original BIOS too. I have the latest BIOS but just noticed there is a beta one which is considerably but I held off because it was a beta. So maybe I'll try that.

Thanks Derek,

BIOS error, hmm didn't even think of that. It was like that with the original BIOS too. I have the latest BIOS but just noticed there is a beta one which is considerably but I held off because it was a beta. So maybe I'll try that.

If it doesn't fix the issue, I would contact the motherboard manufacturer and see why the ratio of 333:533 (1333 [QDR]:1066 [DDR]) does not work.

still no joy, well it hasn't done a nasty hard reset yet but somethings still not right.

@Derek, In your recommended setup you have "tRFC = 55" the maximum I can set is 42.

I'll try what you suggest an ask ASUS, might be a painful wait for that one though. :(:

Set your Northbridge to 1.4v and your trfc to "Auto"

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Insert one stick of the 2GB module in the second slot closest to the CPU.

Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down and remove the stick. Place it in the fourth slot and test it again. Then insert the second stick in slot two and test it alone. Finally, insert one in slot two and one in slot four and retest. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and Run CPU-z and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Please post both modules SPD from the SPD drop down menu.

Results?

• 1 month later...

Ok, been a while but I got it stable or so I thought.

I ran Memtest as you suggested Derek.

with 1 stick in the single channel slot (slot 2) 1 stick fails immediately regardless of BIOS settings whereas the other stick handles pretty much everything you throw at it. When I ran them both in single channel it errors almost immediately.

Anyway on default everything the same error apears on the 1 stick every time.

In Dual Channel I get

TEST1

PASS 0

FAIL ADD 000110a0b468 266.6MB

GOOD 10A0B468

BAD 10A0F468

ERR BITS 00004000

Running them individually I get 1 stick always

TEST2 PASS 0 FAIL ADD 00008505a28 133.3MB

FAIL ADD 00008505a28 133.3MB

GOOD 00000000

BAD 00004000

ERR BITS 00004000

So 1 stick is borked right? What do I need to do now?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

Last I remember, and it has been a while, users needed 1.45v+ to get DDR1000 or better on this chipset.

However, if you have module that you cannot Memtest at all, please use the link in my signature below for TSX Express and begin your RMA.

Archived