Corsair Community

Problem with HX620W

yhsien

Hello,

I think that my power supply is on its last legs (if not dead already).

The other day, I was doing some heavy video transcoding... when I came back to the machine, it had BSOD'd. I rebooted the machine and during POST, it rebooted again. I powered off the whole system and let sit for 5 minutes. When I came back, after power up, I could hear fans and hard drives starting up but nothing came up on the monitor (no POST, no BIOS or Video Card messages).

At first I suspected the motherboard, but then someone reminded me to check the power supply. So today, I disconnected all hard drives and optical drives to try and boot. I was able to get to BIOS screen. I then proceeded to add the devices back and it came up to BIOS again (I needed to redo settings in BIOS because I had cleared CMOS when I thought it was a motherboard problem). I redid my BIOS settings and tried to boot again, but it failed to boot again (fans and drives powered up but nothing on monitor).

So right now, I suspect it's the power supply. I bought this HX620W in August 2007 and it has been fine with all the components in the system. Don't know why it would suddenly get flakey.

I'm going to the store tommorrow and pick up another power supply to verify that this is the problem, but I'd like to see if this HX620W can be saved.

Thanks.

Actually I didn't have to clear the BIOS again... I let the computer sit for a couple of hours with AC disconnected. Then I powered up again with no hard drives and was able to access the BIOS. I then tried again adding the hard drives one at a time... I was able to get into the BIOS each time until I added the third hard drive at which point, I got nothing on the screen again (drives and fans powered up fine).

So for some reason, one of these hard drives (which were working fine for 1.5 years) suddenly push the power supply over the edge? I did a rough estimate of the watt requirements of everything in the system and it seems like the 620W should be plenty. Does it seem like the power supply is faulty?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

Honestly it does not look like a clear cut PSU issue at this point. We have no problem replacing the unit for you at any time, but I would try to rule out some other things first. Looking at your hardware, I wouldn't think that that your system would pull more than 400 watts at most, so I wouldn't think that the PSU is having problems powering the system. If you want to test that theory, I would disconnect a few items like your optical drive and a single memory module which should free up more wattage than a single hard drive would need. Hard drives and optical drives can pull about 20 watts under full load, and each memory module is another 10-15 watts.

If you still have problems only when having all 3 drives installed, then there could be an issue with the sata controller on the board, a sata port, or even a cable. I would see what you can do to rule that out. You may also want to run a http://www.memtest.org and make sure that you do not have any memory related issues. If all else fails then lets get the PSU replaced!

Well, it looks like the problem has gone away ;)

Last night, I took out the DVD drive and added the last hard drive. Everything booted ok. So then I added the DVD drive back in and it still came up!

I ran some stress tests on it (Prime95) overnight and everything was ok... so while I'm glad it's all working again... I still have no idea what went wrong originally and why it's ok now... oh well.

Archived