Corsair Community

Update memory

tamjr

I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard

I am trying to upgrade memory.

Corsair XMS CMX512-3200C2PT is the present RAM and trying to add Corsair XMS CMX1024-3200C2 1024 MB,but have no success. Are these two compatable

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

I'm a) new to the board, and b) glad to see I'm not the only one with this motherboard. I'm running what appears to be the first P4 3.2Ghz. SiSoft Sandra says the rates speed is 3200MHz/4x200MHz. and the CPU name is

"P4N (Northwood) Pentium 4c 130nm 1.6-3,4GHz 1.475-1.575V"

I'm looking at installing two sets of TWINX2048-3200C2PT ram.

Is this ram a) compatible, and b) overkill for this setup? I would like to get a few more years out of this system, and it seems like this will put its performance in a whole different category.

From reading the docs, it will run in dual channel mode if I populate all four slots. I'm not as worried about having less than 4G - I want it to run as fast as it will.

I ran memtest on my current configuration (a single 1G dimm), and it said the FSB was running at 199Mhz.

I've also never upgraded the bios, and am a little hesitant to do so.

I also looked at the BIOS UI and couldn't see where to set the timings manually. Do I need to use a utility from the ASUS-supplied CD?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Ram Guy,

Thanks for a quick reply. The memory configurator points me at the DDR-400 ram. Am I missing something? (It doesn't ask for a CPU - maybe that's the part I'm missing.)

Thanks for clarification.

Bob

Archived