Corsair Community

Computer Drives that connect USB/Survior

DoubleLL

With the recent build of my new custom computer tower hardware with inserted software from my old custom, 2002, computer I also purchased two Flash Survivors 8GB. The Advanced Tech that built my new custom computer started his very short verbal tutorial on the Surviors with the word "Just...", which I have found that the word "Just" means something is going to be missing in the verbal follow-on turtorial that will be delivered. My new custom computer works well, up to a point.

When I insert my new Survivors into the USB socket I get no response. Reading other tutorials I am led to believe that I am supposed to have Drives in my Hard Drives to accept my Survivors. I have shopped the Webs for such Drives and found no leads. There was no directions or manuals that accompanied my Survivor delivery. I am suspect that because my Advanced Tech that built my new computer took the software from my old 2002 Hard Drive, which was not built in those days for Survivors yet on the market. Therefore, there are no Drives on my Hard Drive to connect to my Survivors, if such Drives exist.

The little green icon in my lower right Task Bar reflects the only Hardware attached to my computer is my HP6980 printer. No readout of any kind reflects my Flash Survivor.

Thanks for reading this far from a newbie. Those that can read my computer Hardware build that I newly posted will have to wait until I run Belarc Advisor for my new computer Build which is currently sitting next to my old 2002. computer.

Finally, my question. Is there Drives I must insert on my Hard Drive to accept my Survivors and where do I get the Drives? Or, am I a newbie that needs a redirect for my new Survivors?

• Corsair Employees
There is no driver needed as long as you are using Windows 2000 or newer, the question I would have is did the tech just copy your old HDD from the old system or did he do a fresh install of the O.S on the new system?

There is no driver needed as long as you are using Windows 2000 or newer, the question I would have is did the tech just copy your old HDD from the old system or did he do a fresh install of the O.S on the new system?

RAM GUY

Sorry for the late response. But my life is larger than my scheduled hours.

My Techy did a HD move over with the program PC Mover. I am having trouble with that also as with my new rig it goes up to a wizard, then just stops by asking for a "Van" reference that I was not supplied with.

After perhaps a dozen times of inserting my Corsair 8GB Flash Survivors into my new computer without any success, finally with perhaps the 13th time a Window came up indicating my Survivor had connected. More to follow at 11. I have WinXP/2.

Otherwise, to those, thanks for the English class. Sorry I used the word Drives instead of the advanced word of Drive. But when you have two Survivors and two computer towers the plural often is overpowering.

• Corsair Employees
No worries I would try and install a fresh install of the O.S. with this system on another HDD and then see if the drive runs properly, from what you have posted I would suspect there is some reference to the Old MB lingering there.

No worries I would try and install a fresh install of the O.S. with this system on another HDD and then see if the drive runs properly, from what you have posted I would suspect there is some reference to the Old MB lingering there.

Thanks RAM GUY. What I am going to do is just give back my new tower of Hardware to the Tech Shop and say fix it. My problem is that I have a personal issue that does not offer me the time or timing to just get it back to the techy shop on impulse. In the meantime I do well with my old tower of Hardware that you are reading from now.

The Corsair Drive apparently worked after I don't know how many times on my new tower of plugging a square peg into a square hole. I have yet to utilize it, but with time comes success.

• 2 weeks later...

Where may I find a Corsair Flash Survior tutrotial?

I have two new 8GB Survivors and I have searched nearly everywhere and Googled to no end. The closest I found was from Wellesley College: http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/Flashdrive/

The above link is old reflecting a lot about 256MB zip disks. Too, I need a tutorial on how to install a drive on one of my PC computers that is aged, 2002, that with its present configuation will not reflect when a Flash Drive is installed. My second computer is custom, new, approx 3 weeks old.

I purchased the two packaged 8GB Corsair Flash Survivors which contained no instructions or manual. A little help to a beginner would go a long way in my life.

Stick them in, that's it. No instructions needed. No drivers needed. No software needed.

Wired

Thank you for your post. But after viewing your time on the Board and number of posts I had hoped for a more helpful reply. If I could just plug in my Survivors and they would have lit up I would not of posted my query at all. But I again thank you for your assist.

I'm just answering your question. There's no manual or anything, as it just isn't needed. It's plug and play. on 1-15, you mentioned taking the PC back to the tech to fix it. Did this happen, and if so, what did they say?

Ultimately it sounds like there's something wrong with the USB ports and/or the USB drivers that are built into your OS (XP SP2 it sounds like). Have you tried other USB devices in this computer, or the Survivors in a different system?

• Corsair Employees

We don't have a problem replacing the drive if you like but from what you have posted and as Wired suggested I would try it in another known working system to be sure it is not an issue with the way they copied your HDD.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

We don't have a problem replacing the drive if you like but from what you have posted and as Wired suggested I would try it in another known working system to be sure it is not an issue with the way they copied your HDD.

RAM GUY

Thanks for the offer of replacing the Flash Survivor Drive. But I am not suggesting that my new 8GB Flash Surviors are deffective. My complaint is that I sit alone, no co-workers or kids to peer over my shoulder and say "....click this."

I have perhaps read 20 or so links from Google, to include a video, expounding on the virtures of the Survior's drop wothiness, rubber gasket guards, waterproof container, key chain carry, et. al. But nowhere have I found a tutorial saying "After you plug in your Survivor click on...." This may sound trivial to you, but to me it is a mystery. I can easily explain the workings of our U.S. Intelligence system, or how to effectively take a combat beach at night. But what key to click next after inserting the square peg into the square hole is not written anywhere I can find.

Wired: My custom techy built a new computer within a new tower cover based on my verbal directions. I knew nothing about the existance of the Survivors at the time. It was only during the demo of my new computer did the techy refer, and only refer to the Surivor on his personal key chain. At the time I thought I could make the Survivor work by searching out some tutorials or read the small manual that would accompany the Survivor at time of purchase. As it was I was wrong and with the word wrong being the key word I sought out advice from persons who sell and use the Survivor.

Archived