Corsair Community

A-bit AI7 issues

First, I would like to know what benchmark tests are best to use to see if your overclocking is actually improving your computer's performance? The reason i ask is this- I have recently purchased a a-bit AI7 motherboard, p4 2.8e 800mHz prescott cpu with 1mb L2 cache, 1gig of twinx1024-4000pt ram, and a 9800pro video card. I purchased the memory thinking i would overclock a little (i only want to overclock with standard cooling). Right now my computer runs great with the DRam ratio set to 5:4 and the FSB at 220/175. As you can see that would actually underclock the ram. Now if i set the ratio to 1:1 making the ram speed go to 220/220 my computer does not run as well, by this i mean when i run a benchmark like aquamark3 or 3dmark03 i get flickering in the display and my score ends up being significantly lower. NOw these benchamrks may not be the best way to determine computer performance but they are the only ones i know of. The ram voltage is set to 2.7v. I have the latest bios update and all the drivers are updated. also if i try to adjust the gaming settings in the bios from auto to turbo, street racer or F1. My computer will not boot. Any answers out there?

Could you please list all of your bios settings relating to voltages, RAM, and CPU? My initial guess is that you are nearing the max OC of your CPU. The 2.8 CPUs are not known to OC that well. However, you may be able to get a bit more out of the system with some voltage increases. Also, for now I'd suggest setting all of the turbo/GAT/Street Racer stuff to OFF, Disabled, or Auto. Set them to the closest thing to OFF as you can. They usually only serve to make it more difficult to manually tune your system. Mike.

Archived