Corsair Community

Looking for Replacement Mobo

jujumbura

Hello all,

I think it may finally be time to give up on my ASUS P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe. I bought it as part of a computer that I built 2 ( mostly ) years ago, and it has served me... ok. But after having a number of problems, and recently failing to POST after swapping out the power supply, I think it's time to move on.

I'm going to be using this rig primarily for gaming, but I do NOT intend to Overclock it or to use multiple video cards in an SLI/Crossfire configuration.

I'd like to keep the following components of my machine:

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

Memory: 4 sticks( 4 gig total ) of CORSAIR 6400 800Mhz DDR2

Hard Drive: 2 320Gig SATA2 drives

Video Card: NVidia 8800 GTS

Sound Card: Creative Xfi Xtreme Music

Network Adapater: Intel EXPI9300PT GIGABIT

Clearly I need something with Socket 775 and DDR2 capability. However, if possible there are a couple issues I had before that I'd looooove to avoid:

- Although my memory is rated at 800Mhz, the Corsair guys told me that my old mobo wouldn't support that speed. For most of it's life, I had to underclock the RAM to 667Mhz. Is there a board out there where I could leave it at 800?

- I'm also looking for something with an Intel chipset, as the Nvidia nForce4 one caused havok with my Sound Card in Vista64.

Do any suggestions for good motherboards leap to mind? I'd like something I can use for the next few years if possible, even when this rig gets retired as my primary gaming machine. Thanks very much for any advice you can offer!

Depends on what CPU:RAM the motherboard selects. If it makes it 1:1, then the DRAM speed will be 533MHz. You should be able to change this/DRAM freq. to achieve 800MHz. Just to note, you won't see anything near noticable increasing to 800MHz, as the CPU can only access the RAM at its FSB speed (266MHz x 2 for DDR = 533MHz, or half the effective FSB)

Ok, fair enough. But hopefully you can answer this though; If an arbitrary motherboard is listed as:

Memory Standard: DDR2 1333

Does this mean it will not work wil my DDR2 800 RAM?

I don't work for Corsair so I can advise the board I would purchase. I would purchase a P45 chipset with your DDR2. An ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard would be great.

Archived