Corsair Community

Asus P5Q Pro + TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

HM63

Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D (XMS2-8500 2.1V ver5.1)

Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro

CPU: Intel Q9550

I am having issues with my memory. I am not able to run it in dual channel configuration without errors. The Corsair memory configator lists this memory as compatible with my motherboard.

If I try to run the two sticks as Dual Channel (have tried both channels) I get random BSOD and errors in Memtest-86 v3.4 (fails at test 8....have to reboot to exit the program). Memtest run with Legacy USB Support disabled as advised for Asus boards.

Both sticks tested alone pass Memtest. I have tested all 4 slots on the board with no errors.

I am currently running the two sticks in slots A1 and A2 (single channel) with no errors during Memtest. All is good as long I don't use dual channel config.

Bios manually set to run memory at 1066, 5-5-5-15, 2.1V. Bios is current.

This is a new build and all is well except for the memory issue.

Edit: Ran CPU-Z and it's showing my memory as pc2-6400. When I change the DRAM Frequency in bios to 800MHz, dual channel runs with no errors. Why is my memory showing up as pc-6400 and how do I get it running correctly at 1066MHZ??

Try raising your memory controller voltage 1-3 steps above the stock setting as you may need a slight voltage increase to be stable at 1066.

Do you mean DRAM Voltage?? If yes, I tried it at 2.12 and 2.14 and it still fails in dual channel configuration. At 2.2V it blue screens on start up.

Ran CPU-Z and it's showing my memory as pc2-6400. When I change the DRAM Frequency in bios to 800MHz, dual channel runs with no errors. Why is my memory showing up as pc-6400 and how do I get it running correctly at 1066MHZ??

• Corsair Employees

No the Memory Controller Hub Voltage, it will be called NB or NB MCH Voltage and increase it +.2 Volts.

And you are looking at the SPD that is correct look in the Memory Tab to see what it is actually running at.

No the Memory Controller Hub Voltage, it will be called NB or NB MCH Voltage and increase it +.2 Volts.

And you are looking at the SPD that is correct look in the Memory Tab to see what it is actually running at.

Yay! I think it's working! I did one pass of Memtest with no errors while in dual configuration. Will test more extensively later.

NB Voltage was set to Auto. I didn't know what stock was but it said standard is 1.10V so I set it to 1.30V. Is this ok??

You are correct....I was looking at the SPD tab. The Memory tab says DRAM Frequency 534MHz, FSB:DRAM 5:8, 5-5-5-15-2T. I trust this is correct??

Thanks very much, RamGuy. :biggrin:

1.3v should be fine. However, if you like you can test with any options you have between 1.1v and 1.3v and see if you are stable with less voltage. Less voltage = less heat, less wear, etc.

Will do, RamGuy. Thanks again! :biggrin:

Update: NB Voltage is set to 1.20V and passes Memtest and appears stable. At 1.10V it failed Memtest.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

We've got a PC with a similar setup as yours.

Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard,

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

2x Corsair 2GB DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Dominator Memory

2x 750GB WD HDDs

Asus ATI HD3450 512mb Graphics.

We've got this rebooting issue, but all the fixes we've tried aren't working.

I've tried manually setting voltages etc, updated the bios but with two sticks in the pc just reboots and memtest86 will also reboot on one test (the one that goes rather fast right at the start!).

We've tested both sticks on their own, and they pass fine.

We've tried different combinations of the ram slots.

I've just put some Value Select ram into the machine (in dual channel) and it seems happy with that. 2x 1GB sticks.

Anything else we can try with this ram?

I finally solved my problem and it wasn't RAM at all. The beep code use to mean ram but now refers to video. I found that my power cord to my video card was not completely connected and therefore post failed. I hope this helps you. Check all your coonections.

I finally solved my problem and it wasn't RAM at all. The beep code use to mean ram but now refers to video. I found that my power cord to my video card was not completely connected and therefore post failed. I hope this helps you. Check all your coonections.

The thing POST's no problem, but will BSOD windows and Memtest86 reboots.

• Corsair Employees
Please install the modules in slots 2-4 or 3-4 depending on what the Manual shows as the second slots for Dual channel and then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and just leave the timings at Auto but if command Rate is listed set it to 2T and then test with http://www.memtest.org and when everyyou run a memory test on most ASUS MB's you should disable legacy USB in the BIOS setup.

Archived