Corsair Community

Problem with Dell XPS w/ 2x2GB 1066 Dominator

broncobiker

I have a Dell XPS 630i and Im having issues with Cominator sticks. They seem to boot fine, especially at stock settings for myold RAM. But when I set the settings to those reccomended for the dominator my system crashes while loading windows.

It booted when I changed my overclock back from 2.6GHz to 2.4GHz on my processor

But when restarting I got the blue screen of death again

Did you use Ntune to setup your old modules? If so, use Ntune again and set all default. Enter your BIOS and load Default settings. Save Default settings. Go to your DRAM speed and set it to 1066Mhz and DRAM voltage to 2.1v. Save settings (not default again) and reboot. You will then have your system set back to default and set your DRAM to 1066Mhz.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=2D49BCB34F93B73BE040A68F5B281E9B

When you go with such OEM (Dell) products and higher end DRAM it is not a given that you will have a simple solution. There's just no guarantee, especially when Ntune has been used to setup prior modules. You need to contact Dell and get them to advise you on what and how to do what you want. Considering the cost of such machines I would hope that their support is good. I advise you to turn the machine off and remove the power cord. Then remove the small internal battery on the motherboard. Remove the DRAM. Then after a 24 hour period, install the battery, the new DRAM and insert the power cord. Restart.

Are you running Windows VISTA? Have you installed Service Pack 1? If not, remove one stick, enter Windows download and install Service Pack 1, shut down and insert the second stick. Restart.

Your Dell system is overclockable through the BIOS, but you can not remove factory settings from the BIOS. Ntune will do this. However, if you don't want to try that, it's your system and your choice.

• Corsair Employees
The original Modules work fine.

The new modules are Corsair Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5D G

100% Compatiable, purchased through Newegg

**dell was pretty much useless, i'll be contacting corsair in the morning if we can not solve it by then

Does the XPS BIOS allow you to adjust the memory voltage? If yes, set it to 2.1v. If not, you will not be able to use this memory in this system.

Does the XPS BIOS allow you to adjust the memory voltage? If yes, set it to 2.1v. If not, you will not be able to use this memory in this system.

Yes it does, I tried 2.1v and it didn't make a difference, its still iffy to boot.

Im trying the other guys recommendation of installing SP1 and trying it again, though I'm not sure why this would help =\

Will update

Im reinstalling my OS for unrelated reasons, I figured why not put the sticks in for the reinstall...

It booted from disk ok, and started the install process

However when it went to restart after inflating all the files it bluescreened me.

Im running at 5-5-5-15-2t, 2.1V, 1066MHz

1066MHz FSB...

What is the issue.

One thing I did notice was that when I remove the sticks after this trial one of them was very warm compared to the other.

Whats the percentage of Dominator Dead Sticks?

Everything appears all set thanks to Derek.

I had some issues install SP1 and ended up reformatting and installing Vista again (I planned on it anyway to reorganize my Hard Drives)

Anywho, All 4gigs are working at the right speeds now, and I power cycled several times successfully.

Many thanks!

Archived