Corsair Community

Widows XP 64 bit

Darren K

Sorry, didn't know where to post this exactly.

I've that Windows XP 64 bit is the worst OS to date. Is this true?

I want to move on from the 32 bit version as the RAM support isn't enough (3GB) so I was wondering about the 64 bit OS.

Are there different variations of XP64 like that of the 32 bit version?

Worth buying?

I have found both XP 64 and VISTA 64 (SP1) to be fine with me. However, if you use old software or hardware, then you might want to test with a different hard drive to be certain you can go back.

Sorry, didn't know where to post this exactly.

I've that Windows XP 64 bit is the worst OS to date. Is this true?

I want to move on from the 32 bit version as the RAM support isn't enough (3GB) so I was wondering about the 64 bit OS.

Are there different variations of XP64 like that of the 32 bit version?

Worth buying?

With the current and future RAM requirements that software is beginning to require, 64-bit really is the only option, so software makers are going to have no choice but to start and code in 64-bit (which really isn't massively different from 32-bit)

I have heard support for XP64 is pretty bad, at least compared to Vista 64, so choosing 64-bit Vista really is the best option.

Oh, and only go for Home Premium. Unless you need support for Domains, there really isn't any point going for Ultimate.

With the current and future RAM requirements that software is beginning to require, 64-bit really is the only option, so software makers are going to have no choice but to start and code in 64-bit (which really isn't massively different from 32-bit)

I have heard support for XP64 is pretty bad, at least compared to Vista 64, so choosing 64-bit Vista really is the best option.

Oh, and only go for Home Premium. Unless you need support for Domains, there really isn't any point going for Ultimate.

Is there any real differences between Premium and Ultimate except domain support?

The only other major things Ultimate has are BitLocker (and there are much better/more secure third-party alternatives for encryption out there) and Dreamscene, which is just the ability to set a movie file as your wallpaper. This might sound fancy, but there's no sound and it'll get annoying really fast.

Besides that you get a Texas-hold-em game and language packs. But you'll probably be paying nearly twice as much for stuff you'll likely never use.

Home Premium has everything almost all users need.

Just thought I would add a comment, I run xp 64 bit and have not come across any compatiabilty problems to date. They are out there but this was much more of a problem when xp 64 was 1st realeased and really is not a problem nowadays.

And after looking at your current pc specs highly doubt it to be a problem.

So you are really left with the pick of what you like the look of best or costs the less, in short they both do the same thing.

I am waiting for a windows worth upgrading to before I leave XP.

Poco

Isn`t XP supported to 2014? And isn`t XP still a little quicker OS?

XP has completed full support via service packs. There will be no more service packs for XP. The Windows XP Lifecycle will fully end by January 31, 2009 and direct OEM support ended June 30, 2008. This means that you can not call OEM's for support anymore and at the end of this month, you will not be able to call Microsoft for Windows XP support either. If by support you mean simple updates and security fixes, then Microsoft has extended such Windows XP support To 2014. However, there will be no more non-security fixes and system smoothing research as of the end of this month.

On certain actions XP is a faster OS, but Windows 98 booted faster than both XP and Vista. Vista is a far more robust system than XP in security, video and audio translation and 3D is slower but only when running a new interface of Direct X which XP does not have.

So, in the end, each to their own. I would not transition back to XP although I have it in virtualization so I can boot to an XP solution when necessary.

Archived