Corsair Community

compatability concerns

Paul Jay

I will be updating my system with Asus Rampage Extreme, Intel Qx9650 but like to use my corsair memory sticks which are two pairs of 1333c9dmx (for total of 8 GB). I've noticed thru the forums that it will probably need some tweaking of the bios to get all 4 corsairs to read. Here is where I would like to have some recommendations as to some bios settings so that all 4 are working. It doesn't seem like it will read all four with the default settings. Please make some recommendations. I appreciate your time and energy regarding this matter.

Paul

I have the Rampage Extreme and if you are going to try and find stability with 8GB of 1333C9, then I would advise you to first try 1066C9 and move up from there. I can not get 8GB to run stable with full speed on my board which is the same and many other's can not as well.

Here is a thread of seventy five pages with people using the same board. It's helped me tweak my system. Be sure to first update your BIOS to 1003 (latest) as it is the best BIOS by far.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196683&highlight=rampage+extreme

I can help you with stability settings when you get the hardware.

I will be updating my system with Asus Rampage Extreme, Intel Qx9650 but like to use my corsair memory sticks which are two pairs of 1333c9dmx (for total of 8 GB). I've noticed thru the forums that it will probably need some tweaking of the bios to get all 4 corsairs to read. Here is where I would like to have some recommendations as to some bios settings so that all 4 are working. It doesn't seem like it will read all four with the default settings. Please make some recommendations. I appreciate your time and energy regarding this matter.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Derek thanks for your reply. I can only work on this unit on the weekend. Thank you for your patience. I've installed the rampage extreme with the qx9650 and the ram 1333c9dhx. I've used the full 8 gb of ram. Windows was able to be installed and I kept settings at "auto" for the time being. At first I thought I would be lucky and everything seem to work well. Then it started freezing and occasionsally the bsod would show. I took out 4 gb of ram and the system has been running without freezing for the past 4 days. It seems reading all the post that there is an issue with the 8 gb and speed issues. I'm willing to sacrifice speed for stability though. Any suggestions on tweaking the system so that I could get the full 8 gb running and stable? I am new to the possible adjustments so that any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Paul Jay

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from-->

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
OC From Memory Level Up: Auto
FSB Frequency: 333
CPU Ratio Setting: 9

CPU Configuration

CPU Ratio Setting: 09.0
C1E Support: Enabled
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Core Multi-Processing: Enabled

CPU Clock Skew: Delay 300ps
NB Clock Skew: Delay 200ps
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 333
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 1066
DRAM Command Rate: 1N
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
1st Information: 9-9-9-24-8-88-12-6
CAS# Latency: 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9
RAS# Pre Time: 9
RAS# ACT Time: 24
RAS# To RAS# Delay: 8
REF Cycle Time: 88
WRITE Recovery Time: 12
READ to Pre Time: 6
2nd Information : 8-7-6-4-7-4-7
READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): 8
WRITE to READ Delay (S): 7
WRITE to READ Delay (D): 6
READ to READ (S): 4
READ to READ (D): 7
WRITE to WRITE (S): 4
WRITE to WRITE (D): 7
3RD Information: 23-8-1-8-8
WRITE to PRE Delay: 23
READ to PRE Delay: 8
PRE to PRE Delay: 1
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: 8
ALL PRE to REF Delay: 8
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

DRAM Skew Control

DRAM CMD Skew on Channel A: Delay 75ps
DRAM CLK Skew on DIMM A1: Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on DIMM A2: Auto
DRAM CTL Skew on DIMM A1: Auto
DRAM CTL Skew on DIMM A2: Auto
DRAM CMD Skew on Channel B: Delay 150ps
DRAM CLK Skew on DIMM B1: Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on DIMM B2: Auto
DRAM CTL Skew on DIMM B1: Auto
DRAM CTL Skew on DIMM B2: Auto

Ai Clock Twister: Auto
Ai Transaction Booster: Auto
Common Performance Level: 09

EPU II Phase Control: Auto
CPU Voltage: Auto
Load-Line Calibration: Disabled
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.590
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
CPU GTLVerf (0): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (1): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (2): Auto
CPU GTLVerf (3): Auto
NB GTLVerf: +50mV
North Bridge Voltage: 1.40v
DRAM Voltage: 1.80v
NB DDRVref: Auto
DDR3 ChannelA Vref: Auto
DDR3 ChannelB Vref: +12.5mv
South Bridge 1.5 Voltage: Auto
South Bridge 1.05 Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Boot to the memtest CD and test for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and post your CPU-z CPU/Memory and SPD tabs in screenshots.

Thanks for the response. I went and performed the changes that you suggested and I kept getting a cpu fsb overclocking error. I ended up reverting back to auto on everything and made only one change to the dram freq. I changed it to 1066 and so far no freezing/BSOD after about 24hrs. That is WITH the 8 gb of ram also. If this stays this way I am content as long as there is no late onset of freezing/bsod. Let me know what you think or any other thoughts.

If this stays this way I am content as long as there is no late onset of freezing/bsod. Let me know what you think or any other thoughts.

I agree with you. I did, however ask you to perform memtest. It would behoove you to do so. Also, for long term stability I would at least change North Bridge Voltage: 1.40v when you populate with four DRAM slots.

Hi Derek and thanks for your quick reply. I forgot to mention that I did the memtest and had no errors on any of the 4 mem sticks. I will go ahead and change the north bridge voltage as you suggested and see how things develop. I want to thank you for all of your help and time and energy with this matter. Especially I want to say thanks for your assistance in helping others as I see you have helped so many as I look at the various postings. Take care.

Paul

Archived