Corsair Community

Asus SK8N

Karmaconnection

The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits and there are no RDIMM Quad Kits. I advise you to go with 2 X 1024 of CM72SD1024RLP-3200. You can only run Rambus DRAM, not any DDR DRAM. This does not mean that mixing and matching DRAM modules will not work, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects ie. errors in a two stick kit mode.

If you are attempting to find DRAM to work in conjunction with your board, you need to know that there is also NO support for mixing and matching DRAM modules, they may work, they may not. I advise people to be sure that they get the same version DRAM. Be careful here, because there can be the same model but different versions that will NOT play nice together.

Also, if you get the DRAM to work, you are advised to drop the DRAM speed from 400Mhz to 333 when populating all four DRAM slots. Raise the Northbridge voltage +.2v as well.

Modules that are compatible with your Server ECC DRAM installable motherboard:

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=4299

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel) memory controller or On CPU (AMD, Intel i7) and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population.

You need to be sure to order the same memory at the same time. There is no support for four modules but that doesn't mean that they won't work in your board, just that you can't return to Corsair if they do not work in a four DRAM slot population.

However, that being said. RDIMM has the best chance to work fine with four DRAM slots populated.

Thank you for the information. I'm sorry I'm new at this stuff.....

Is it not advisable to run 4 gigs? If I'm ordering the memory how do I make sure the DRAM is the same?

Archived